Team looking to improve, advice needed

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
alip26
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Team looking to improve, advice needed

Post by alip26 »

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any advice for how I can motivate my team to finally get to states.

I come from a school that gives no funding to SO except for the bus ride there. We have a schedule that lets us only have in-school meetings once a month, and even then, many participants have other clubs and activities that they attend. Most of the people involved have after-school activities such as sports and other academic affairs that are a challenge to work around. We have only ever been to states once ( both division b and division c) around the years of 2001-2003, and we never got there again.

We won't be getting our events until late November, and I want to get ideas/information ready for me and my teammates for when we get our events. Does anyone have any ideas for motivation and/or how we can communicate effectively without access to regular meetings?
2019-2020 Events:
Boomilever, Chem Lab, Ornithology
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Re: Team looking to improve, advice needed

Post by JasperKota »

I think it's really important to have meetings outside of school, if not the entire team since that can be difficult to organize, then within partners to work on their events. Find one or two hours to spare on weekends and have some sessions over fall/winter/spring break when there isn't school to get in the way.

If that's not possible, make a group chat on FB, Discord, Skype, Groupme, whatever works for your team and send reminders to study frequently. Message your partner to see where they're at, and check up on people's worksheets, ask how their build is going etc.
Here's some other threads from the past about team motivation:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10679
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10186
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8048
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
alip26
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Team looking to improve, advice needed

Post by alip26 »

JasperKota wrote:I think it's really important to have meetings outside of school, if not the entire team since that can be difficult to organize, then within partners to work on their events. Find one or two hours to spare on weekends and have some sessions over fall/winter/spring break when there isn't school to get in the way.

If that's not possible, make a group chat on FB, Discord, Skype, Groupme, whatever works for your team and send reminders to study frequently. Message your partner to see where they're at, and check up on people's worksheets, ask how their build is going etc.
Here's some other threads from the past about team motivation:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10679
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10186
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8048

Thank you for the advice!
2019-2020 Events:
Boomilever, Chem Lab, Ornithology

Return to “General Competition”