Number of events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Number of events

Postby gneissisnice » July 8th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Do you find that you do better when you have more events, or less? I personally do better with more, cause i get too bored trying to study one topic at a time, so i gotta switch a lot, and its better with more events. I like to broaden my horizons.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Re: Number of events

Postby rocketman1555 » July 8th, 2008, 3:46 pm

i usually do 4 to 7 events, because i like the challenge, i don't see doing differently based on the number of events, i usually place in ones that i prepared really well for, and don't place in ones i didn't prepare well for
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby sachleen » July 8th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Since I only do building events, It's not always the best idea to have to build 4 or 5 devices with short time until comp :P I like doing 3, 3 is fun, 4 would be good too i guess.. 5 may be a bit too much depending on what events they are.

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » July 8th, 2008, 4:16 pm

i usually do more study events than building events, but i can do up to 9 events the way tx state is, we have a 2 day competition, with building events friday, study events saturday
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Postby dudeincolorado » July 8th, 2008, 4:18 pm

3 and 4 seems to be good for me see below but i definaty cant do 2 or less too little to do i kinda have a short atention span...
SO stressed!

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby Pleiades » July 8th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Last year was my first year and I didnt 5 events. That was the most of anyone on my team or in the whole state. I did pretty good in my 5 events. Four of them I placed in and the fifth one my coach told me to not even bother studying for.. all he wanted from that event was participation points. I ended up getting 8th place in that event.. not bad for not studying :D I would do just as well if i had 2 or 3 events like most people in my state do. Next year I plan on doing 6 events and skip lunch if my schedule allows it [some teams have 5 event blocks but others have 6.. last year my team had 5] Four events I already have an in-depth knowledge about the subject so I dont really have to prepare that much for those events. I also might build the scrambler, elevated bridge, and wright stuff but not enter them myself since I will be fully scheduled.. i'll just have someone else on my team enter them.

sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby sachleen » July 8th, 2008, 4:32 pm

i dont know how some people can build the stuff and then have someone else enter/comete for them. I could never do that. lol, i dont trust people :(

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Postby dudeincolorado » July 8th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Last year was my first year and I didnt 5 events. That was the most of anyone on my team or in the whole state. I did pretty good in my 5 events. Four of them I placed in and the fifth one my coach told me to not even bother studying for.. all he wanted from that event was participation points. I ended up getting 8th place in that event.. not bad for not studying :D
DAAAAANG thats amazing i worked my booty off and still only placed in 2 of my eventsyou must work really hard
i dont know how some people can build the stuff and then have someone else enter/comete for them. I could never do that. lol, i dont trust people :(
trust me it's totally nerve wraking my tower i was calling/texting/yelling/running as soon as i got out of my event
SO stressed!

Rachee
State: ND

Postby Rachee » July 8th, 2008, 5:06 pm

On my team, everyone has a minimum of 3. I usually have 4, which is the way I like it. I'd prefer 5, but whatever. One year my sister was in high school and had 7 events at Nats, and didn't get below a top 30 in any, which is pretty good.
"Dees ones got peanuts an' soap in 'em!!"

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » July 8th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Last year was my first year and I didnt 5 events. That was the most of anyone on my team or in the whole state. I did pretty good in my 5 events. Four of them I placed in and the fifth one my coach told me to not even bother studying for.. all he wanted from that event was participation points. I ended up getting 8th place in that event.. not bad for not studying :D I would do just as well if i had 2 or 3 events like most people in my state do. Next year I plan on doing 6 events and skip lunch if my schedule allows it [some teams have 5 event blocks but others have 6.. last year my team had 5] Four events I already have an in-depth knowledge about the subject so I dont really have to prepare that much for those events. I also might build the scrambler, elevated bridge, and wright stuff but not enter them myself since I will be fully scheduled.. i'll just have someone else on my team enter them.
Thats pretty amazing, pleiades. And in NY i think the max is 7, 6 during the competition and 1 the day befre (experimental and oceanography, i believe).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “General Competition”