Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Number of events

Postby gneissisnice » July 8th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Do you find that you do better when you have more events, or less? I personally do better with more, cause i get too bored trying to study one topic at a time, so i gotta switch a lot, and its better with more events. I like to broaden my horizons.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: -

Re: Number of events

Postby rocketman1555 » July 8th, 2008, 3:46 pm

i usually do 4 to 7 events, because i like the challenge, i don't see doing differently based on the number of events, i usually place in ones that i prepared really well for, and don't place in ones i didn't prepare well for
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby sachleen » July 8th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Since I only do building events, It's not always the best idea to have to build 4 or 5 devices with short time until comp :P I like doing 3, 3 is fun, 4 would be good too i guess.. 5 may be a bit too much depending on what events they are.

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » July 8th, 2008, 4:16 pm

i usually do more study events than building events, but i can do up to 9 events the way tx state is, we have a 2 day competition, with building events friday, study events saturday

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Postby dudeincolorado » July 8th, 2008, 4:18 pm

3 and 4 seems to be good for me see below but i definaty cant do 2 or less too little to do i kinda have a short atention span...
SO stressed!

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Postby Pleiades » July 8th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Last year was my first year and I didnt 5 events. That was the most of anyone on my team or in the whole state. I did pretty good in my 5 events. Four of them I placed in and the fifth one my coach told me to not even bother studying for.. all he wanted from that event was participation points. I ended up getting 8th place in that event.. not bad for not studying :D I would do just as well if i had 2 or 3 events like most people in my state do. Next year I plan on doing 6 events and skip lunch if my schedule allows it [some teams have 5 event blocks but others have 6.. last year my team had 5] Four events I already have an in-depth knowledge about the subject so I dont really have to prepare that much for those events. I also might build the scrambler, elevated bridge, and wright stuff but not enter them myself since I will be fully scheduled.. i'll just have someone else on my team enter them.

sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby sachleen » July 8th, 2008, 4:32 pm

i dont know how some people can build the stuff and then have someone else enter/comete for them. I could never do that. lol, i dont trust people :(

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Postby dudeincolorado » July 8th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Pleiades wrote:Last year was my first year and I didnt 5 events. That was the most of anyone on my team or in the whole state. I did pretty good in my 5 events. Four of them I placed in and the fifth one my coach told me to not even bother studying for.. all he wanted from that event was participation points. I ended up getting 8th place in that event.. not bad for not studying :D
DAAAAANG thats amazing i worked my booty off and still only placed in 2 of my eventsyou must work really hard
tehkubix wrote:i dont know how some people can build the stuff and then have someone else enter/comete for them. I could never do that. lol, i dont trust people :(
trust me it's totally nerve wraking my tower i was calling/texting/yelling/running as soon as i got out of my event
SO stressed!

Rachee
State: ND

Postby Rachee » July 8th, 2008, 5:06 pm

On my team, everyone has a minimum of 3. I usually have 4, which is the way I like it. I'd prefer 5, but whatever. One year my sister was in high school and had 7 events at Nats, and didn't get below a top 30 in any, which is pretty good.
"Dees ones got peanuts an' soap in 'em!!"

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby gneissisnice » July 8th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Pleiades wrote:Last year was my first year and I didnt 5 events. That was the most of anyone on my team or in the whole state. I did pretty good in my 5 events. Four of them I placed in and the fifth one my coach told me to not even bother studying for.. all he wanted from that event was participation points. I ended up getting 8th place in that event.. not bad for not studying :D I would do just as well if i had 2 or 3 events like most people in my state do. Next year I plan on doing 6 events and skip lunch if my schedule allows it [some teams have 5 event blocks but others have 6.. last year my team had 5] Four events I already have an in-depth knowledge about the subject so I dont really have to prepare that much for those events. I also might build the scrambler, elevated bridge, and wright stuff but not enter them myself since I will be fully scheduled.. i'll just have someone else on my team enter them.

Thats pretty amazing, pleiades. And in NY i think the max is 7, 6 during the competition and 1 the day befre (experimental and oceanography, i believe).
2009 events:

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Pleiades » July 9th, 2008, 10:13 am

rocketman1555 wrote:i usually do more study events than building events, but i can do up to 9 events the way tx state is, we have a 2 day competition, with building events friday, study events saturday

Does that work out well or do you guys run into a lot of problems with that? I might ask my state director what he thinks about having a two-day competition. I know a lot of people were bummed that they couldnt see their teams Trajectory or Glider and having building events one day and study events the other day fixes that problem.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby gneissisnice » July 9th, 2008, 10:16 am

The biggest problem I see with that is that often, the builders mostly do building with little or no study events. While the study people can watch the building events the day before, the builders are probably gonna be really bored the day of the study events. Otherwise, it does sound like a better idea.
2009 events:

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Pleiades » July 9th, 2008, 10:20 am

That's a good point. The people on my team usually only have 2 or 3 events so the builders will have plunty of people to talk with in homeroom. Actually, the builders on my team [mevand 2 other kids] all do study events too so its not much of a problem for us but the same thing goes for other teams in my state. Or they could allow the builders to practice their events in the gym while people are taking their tests.

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » July 9th, 2008, 12:57 pm

my team usually has a good balance of events between people so it works out well, and it lets people that usually only do study events or only building events to do both

oh joy

Postby oh joy » July 16th, 2008, 12:29 pm

about 3's good 4 moi...you?
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요

Return to “General Chat”