Shock Value/Circuit Lab 2019

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Shock Value/Circuit Lab 2019

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

(Plug for the circuit lab marathon I started in general chat)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
thecatgod wrote:Also, you may want to review basic magnetism principles as they will probably be included(more like there is no chance they won't) like how magnetism works(electron orientation in a metal) and how magnetic field lines are drawn(North to South poles).
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think magnetism is or will be part of the circuit lab rules.
You are mistaken. Magnetism has been in the rules in the past and will likely be in the rules again this year.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

windu34 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
thecatgod wrote:Also, you may want to review basic magnetism principles as they will probably be included(more like there is no chance they won't) like how magnetism works(electron orientation in a metal) and how magnetic field lines are drawn(North to South poles).
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think magnetism is or will be part of the circuit lab rules.
You are mistaken. Magnetism has been in the rules in the past and will likely be in the rules again this year.
And this is why I stay in bio and chem events instead of dabbling in physics ones (with the exception of thermo, I guess....but thermo is important to all fields of engineering so nonetheless I know it anyways :P )
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
And this is why I stay in bio and chem events instead of dabbling in physics ones (with the exception of thermo, I guess....but thermo is important to all fields of engineering so nonetheless I know it anyways :P )
Yes go back to the bio and chem event forums, this is my territory :P
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
I'm pretty sure magnetism wasn't in Div C in 2014.

Edit: Looked it up to check, nothing relating to magnetism was in the 2014 C rules. Interestingly, the 2014 B rules do include magnetism.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:

Edit: Looked it up to check, nothing relating to magnetism was in the 2014 C rules. Interestingly, the 2014 B rules do include magnetism.
I dont have the 2014 C rules, but didnt it include DC motors? Understanding magnetism would be a fundamental component of being able to answer questions regarding electromagnetism involved in DC motors. Additionally, the NSO page https://www.soinc.org/circuit-lab-c has a link to a magnetism page.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote: You are mistaken. Magnetism has been in the rules in the past and will likely be in the rules again this year.

I dont have the 2014 C rules, but didnt it include DC motors? Understanding magnetism would be a fundamental component of being able to answer questions regarding electromagnetism involved in DC motors. Additionally, the NSO page https://www.soinc.org/circuit-lab-c has a link to a magnetism page.
No motors on the 2014 C rules.
Userpage

Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I have no memory of any magnetism for Circuits, only MagLev. Although I do think there used to be some stuff about magnets in Shock Value when I did it in B.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

That is very strange that it was in B and not C. I guess we will have to wait and see about this year.
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by Schrodingerscat »

windu34 wrote:That is very strange that it was in B and not C. I guess we will have to wait and see about this year.
Perhaps because there was no Maglev in B (speculation).

Return to “General Competition”