Events 2018-2019

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Events 2018-2019

Post by pikachu4919 »

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:Assuming that Sounds of Music will be returning, is the test portion still an interview or have they changed it to a written test?
That is something we won’t know until the rules come out, or unless chalker decides to tell us :P
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:Assuming that Sounds of Music will be returning, is the test portion still an interview or have they changed it to a written test?
You will have to wait for the published rules in September.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Simulacrum wrote:Any advice on Designer Genes? My partner and I are going very in depth on all of the topics that have been provided in the draft rules, but we're not sure how much detail is actually required for this event.

(It's like a never ending rabbit hole of technical terms and details..)

(Please send help.)

(I don't know how this is all supposed to fit on one page.)
Khan Academy will be your best friend for the entirety of this event. It helps to have a background in a biology class, but even if you don't you should be able to manage alright. Having things memorized is certainly key, especially the basic mechanisms of transcription and translation. The most important things to put in notes would probably be basic reference information in case you blank on something important and then details about gene expression and genetic disorders. Basically - look at tests and see what you're most likely to forget about.

Also, making a ton of notes and narrowing things down helps. There'll be things that you write down that you'll realize you don't actually need in your notes, so it's better to write down more than you need at first and cut things to the bone. Make the font size as small as you can read, and use Google Docs to its fullest.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

pikachu4919 wrote:
That is something we won’t know until the rules come out, or unless chalker decides to tell us :P
Current draft rules has Sounds looking a LOT like the standard model we follow in other physics events (e.g. Thermo, Optics, Hovercraft, etc). You can extrapolate from there.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

chalker wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
Current draft rules has Sounds looking a LOT like the standard model we follow in other physics events (e.g. Thermo, Optics, Hovercraft, etc). You can extrapolate from there.
so....you're saying that it SOUNDS a lot like the other physics events....
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

bearasauras wrote:
chalker wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
so....you're saying that it SOUNDS a lot like the other physics events....

Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by John Richardsim »

The 2019 event descriptions were put up recently. Sounds now has a written test, and teams only build one instrument.
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

John Richardsim wrote:
The 2019 event descriptions were put up recently. Sounds now has a written test, and teams only build one instrument.
They haven’t revealed what the required piece is tho, and what’s interesting is that since they used to have each partner play one instrument each (hence two instruments total), I wonder how the roles will work now.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
Boss
Been thanked: 0

Post by Boss »

pikachu4919 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
They haven’t revealed what the required piece is tho, and what’s interesting is that since they used to have each partner play one instrument each (hence two instruments total), I wonder how the roles will work now.
What makes you think there will be a required piece? Based on the event description, I would not be so quick to assume there will be one.
"Teams must construct and tune one device prior to the tournament based on a 12-tone equal tempered scale and complete a written test on the physics of sound."
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

John Richardsim wrote:
where do you find the event descriptions?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Return to “General Competition”