On average, how much do you guys spend on each building event?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
wethose
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

On average, how much do you guys spend on each building event?

Post by wethose »

I'm filling out a budget form and I'm not sure how much it'll cost us next year.

Towers-
Mission Possible-
Thermodynamics-
Mousetrap Vehicle-
Hovercraft-
Helicopters-
wethose

Re: On average, how much do you guys spend on each building event?

Post by wethose »

oh, and forensics!
Macgyver
Division: C
State: WA

Post by Macgyver »

Just on Hovercraft, I'm over $150 (at least $30-40 out of pocket). For Mission and Thermo, I lost count after $60 out of pocket.
Moses Lake High School Wiki:
2016-17- Chem Lab (4th), Write It Do It, Game On, WiFi Lab
2017-18- Hovercraft, Mousetrap Vehicle, Thermodynamics (2nd)
Go Washington!
wethose

Post by wethose »

Macgyver wrote:Just on Hovercraft, I'm over $150 (at least $30-40 out of pocket). For Mission and Thermo, I lost count after $60 out of pocket.
Holy crap! What do you buy with that money? Where do you get it from?? I'm so out of the loop for building events..
cool hand luke
Division: B
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

last year we spent over 2k on builds. Granted it was our first year so we didn't have a stockpile of stuff like we are getting now. And we also bought things multiple times. I bought 6 different springs to launch our scrambler before finally getting the correct one.
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

wethose wrote:I'm filling out a budget form and I'm not sure how much it'll cost us next year.

Towers-
Mission Possible-
Thermodynamics-
Mousetrap Vehicle-
Hovercraft-
Helicopters-
Before you start spending money, I would advice taking the advice of some of your biggest resources...your teachers!

I am in middle school and that's basically how I get everything that I need.

For our school, the chemistry events had a bunch of stuff that we didn't necessarily own. I borrowed it from a teacher.
For events like thermo, and mission possible...you need some plywood. In fact, plywood can be helpful in other events to. I don't know about mousetrap, but for battery buggy, it builds the frame. Call on one of your schools shop teachers, they can help.
Wood shop teachers might also be happy to get you some thin balsa for towers and helicopters.
For Hovercraft, check if one of your teachers has a 3d printer, that can help.
For anything electricity related, does on your schools physics classes have a unit like electricity. Or is there an elective covering a similar topic? Chances are that they do experiments. Ask that teacher.

In my general experience, if you ask nicely, most science teachers are willing to help science olympiad.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

The amount you need to spend varies greatly. You can build a National-medaling Mission for $1000, but also for under $50 if your builders are really skilled. Towers - likewise, can medal at Nationals with $50 of balsa (which is sufficient for well over a dozen towers if they're particularly light). Helicopters is probably best done with a kit, but it's possible to do very well scratchbuilt.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Mousetrap vehicle - Depends on the resources you have, and what you decide to use. I've spent around $60 on this event so far, which is mostly from trying carbon fiber. You can easily make do with just wood and 3d printed frames.

Helicopters - If people have never done an aviation event or helicopters, it's easier to start out with a kit. There was another option for kits last year, however this year I think there's really only the Freedom Flight kit available. In addition, you'll need a winder and lubricant, which will bring the total to around 70-80 dollars. If you don't go with the kit, however, costs go down. Balsa sheets can be found at local hardware stores, covering can be ordered online for not too much, as well as hooks and thrust bearings.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
Otkrlj
State: MO

Post by Otkrlj »

For towers, expect to spend 50 to 150. For mosetrap it depends on your materials. Kt can varry from around 10 to 100 something.
2020 events: codebusters, towers, gravity vehicle, ping pong paracute 8-) 8-)
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

wethose wrote:I'm filling out a budget form and I'm not sure how much it'll cost us next year.

Towers-
Mission Possible-
Thermodynamics-
Mousetrap Vehicle-
Hovercraft-
Helicopters-
On mousetrap, I've managed to spend $180 so far, but lots of that is bought in bulk, so future years will benefit. (also, I wasted lots of money on wheels. I would recommend simply going with what the forums say, and not try to experiment lol)
On mission Possible, I've spent over $200 and counting. (Its not really the things that you would expect to be expensive. It's really all the small things that add up.)

On top of this, I think i've gone through 1 and a half kg of PLA filament through iteration and failed parts. ( approx. 45 dollars filament in total)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “General Competition”