Random Question

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Random Human
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Random Question

Post by Random Human »

Do colleges care about winning or qualifying to nats as a 9th grader in div b?

Obv they care... but how much? I would imagine its like them caring about winning nationals as an 8th grader (which is basically nothing since they don't care about middle school activity). Is it minimally worth doing?
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Re: Random Question

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

I doubt they really care too much, but you shouldn't do Science Olympiad just for getting into colleges. Also, they don't know whether you did well or it was your partner/teammate/etc.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Random Human wrote:Do colleges care about winning or qualifying to nats as a 9th grader in div b?

Obv they care... but how much? I would imagine its like them caring about winning nationals as an 8th grader (which is basically nothing since they don't care about middle school activity). Is it minimally worth doing?
I'm not sure if they would care that much just for qualifying...

But it's pretty good if you can medal in your events I guess.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

pb5754[] wrote:
Random Human wrote:Do colleges care about winning or qualifying to nats as a 9th grader in div b?

this depends on the state.
I don't mean any offense to anyone, but going to nats from Vermont is not difficult. However, if a team from here in SoCal beat Troy and went to nats, that would be a completely different story.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Random Human

Post by Random Human »

PM2017 wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:

I don't mean any offense to anyone, but going to nats from Vermont is not difficult. However, if a team from here in SoCal beat Troy and went to nats, that would be a completely different story.
Middle school is so much less competitive though. I have a feeling that winning nationals in div b as a 9th grader is worthless, but please tell me if I'm wrong.
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Random Human wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
pb5754[] wrote: I'm not sure if they would care that much just for qualifying...

Middle school is so much less competitive though. I have a feeling that winning nationals in div b as a 9th grader is worthless, but please tell me if I'm wrong.
True, I was thinking more along the lines of being the team captain (or officer on the team's board) as a junior in HS, for a team that either pulled off a huge upset or placed at nationals. If, however, you are already at that level, you probably have so many other things that help college admission chances much more significantly than scioly.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:
Random Human wrote:
PM2017 wrote: this depends on the state.
True, I was thinking more along the lines of being the team captain (or officer on the team's board) as a junior in HS, for a team that either pulled off a huge upset or placed at nationals. If, however, you are already at that level, you probably have so many other things that help college admission chances much more significantly than scioly.
Div B is about as competitive as Div C - at most 10-15% less. I didn't change my workload for SO between 9th grade and 10th grade, and didn't experience any serious dropoff.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

If your primary worry for this question is college applications, you're going about it entirely wrong. If you've gone through the other various factors like team composition, personal preference, logistics, personal curiosity, interest in the events, etc, and you still are completely even, then and only then should you think about how college admissions come into play.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

At least at my school it's pretty universally assumed that colleges only care about individual Olympiad medals, not Science Olympiad medals. I don't know how somebody would do a controlled trial on that but logically it would make sense to prefer something where students can't just depend on other people to help them succeed?
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
john8046

Post by john8046 »

Are event descriptions supposed to be shared to the public?

Return to “General Chat”