Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
JionPark
Member
Member
Posts: 182
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 11:03 am
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby JionPark » June 22nd, 2018, 9:39 am

When writing a test, am I allowed to get an image from the internet? When I press an image on Google, the words, "Images may be subject to copyright", is shown below. I am wondering if I'm allowed to use those images because I don't want to take someone's work, and get the credit.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 542
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » June 23rd, 2018, 2:44 pm

JionPark wrote:When writing a test, am I allowed to get an image from the internet? When I press an image on Google, the words, "Images may be subject to copyright", is shown below. I am wondering if I'm allowed to use those images because I don't want to take someone's work, and get the credit.

Don't worry about citing images for a test. There are a variety of ways to format things, but citing images / sources particularly is an issue for notes. It's not necessary, but some notes need it to be more organized / useful. The only way you'd get in trouble that I can think of is using a photo from a textbook not online, which doesn't sound like the worry.

Also, sorry for late reply, uploading of resources / users, etc...was away recently. On that note, I'm back, so keep questions, submissions, etc going:D. Hope people are having fun summers!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

JionPark
Member
Member
Posts: 182
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 11:03 am
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby JionPark » June 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm

syo_astro wrote:
JionPark wrote:When writing a test, am I allowed to get an image from the internet? When I press an image on Google, the words, "Images may be subject to copyright", is shown below. I am wondering if I'm allowed to use those images because I don't want to take someone's work, and get the credit.

Don't worry about citing images for a test. There are a variety of ways to format things, but citing images / sources particularly is an issue for notes. It's not necessary, but some notes need it to be more organized / useful. The only way you'd get in trouble that I can think of is using a photo from a textbook not online, which doesn't sound like the worry.

Also, sorry for late reply, uploading of resources / users, etc...was away recently. On that note, I'm back, so keep questions, submissions, etc going:D. Hope people are having fun summers!


Thank you syo_astro! :D

EmilyLouie7
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: September 26th, 2017, 1:20 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby EmilyLouie7 » July 9th, 2018, 11:44 am

Hi there, I have a question. I have a cheat sheet for Heredity which should be good for Genetics Division B. The problem is it's only 3,372 words and 14 images. The cheat sheet is only 2 pages for the event so should I extend it/change it into notes and add more or leave it as is? Thanks!
Bay Academy Science Olympiad. Did A and P, Disease Detectives, and Fast Facts. :)

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 542
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » July 9th, 2018, 10:09 pm

EmilyLouie7 wrote:Hi there, I have a question. I have a cheat sheet for Heredity which should be good for Genetics Division B. The problem is it's only 3,372 words and 14 images. The cheat sheet is only 2 pages for the event so should I extend it/change it into notes and add more or leave it as is? Thanks!


Great question! You will probably have to extend to 7k words, maybe 6k. There's some flexibility, but 7k usually gets submissions closer to completion (pending quality, etc). You CAN go shorter with good / original content, like your own images / tables (example SSSS notes on wiki event pages).

Changing to non-cheatsheet notes usually makes the content more clear for review / use. We handle cheatsheets case by case because they can be more difficult to review (e.g. Small text that's hard to scan), and people have complained that they don't want to share them (in the past, people thought they had to share all the info from their cheatsheets or making their notes were basically like sharing their cheatsheets...fair enough, not the point of notes then).

Unrelated: We've gotten quite a few submissions, keep up the amazing work as always! I can give more specific updates/some numbers upon request, but we haven't gotten submissions for (note you should do whatever event you want to work on, but sometimes people are curious about this)...
All build events, ChemLab, Crime Busters, Density Lab, Designer, DyPlan, ExpD, Fossils, Geomaps, Mystery Arch, Protein Modeling, Shock Value, WIDI
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

EmilyLouie7
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: September 26th, 2017, 1:20 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby EmilyLouie7 » July 10th, 2018, 11:18 am

syo_astro wrote:
EmilyLouie7 wrote:Hi there, I have a question. I have a cheat sheet for Heredity which should be good for Genetics Division B. The problem is it's only 3,372 words and 14 images. The cheat sheet is only 2 pages for the event so should I extend it/change it into notes and add more or leave it as is? Thanks!


Great question! You will probably have to extend to 7k words, maybe 6k. There's some flexibility, but 7k usually gets submissions closer to completion (pending quality, etc). You CAN go shorter with good / original content, like your own images / tables (example SSSS notes on wiki event pages).

Changing to non-cheatsheet notes usually makes the content more clear for review / use. We handle cheatsheets case by case because they can be more difficult to review (e.g. Small text that's hard to scan), and people have complained that they don't want to share them (in the past, people thought they had to share all the info from their cheatsheets or making their notes were basically like sharing their cheatsheets...fair enough, not the point of notes then).

Unrelated: We've gotten quite a few submissions, keep up the amazing work as always! I can give more specific updates/some numbers upon request, but we haven't gotten submissions for (note you should do whatever event you want to work on, but sometimes people are curious about this)...
All build events, ChemLab, Crime Busters, Density Lab, Designer, DyPlan, ExpD, Fossils, Geomaps, Mystery Arch, Protein Modeling, Shock Value, WIDI


Thank You so much! Hope you are having a great summer! ;)
Bay Academy Science Olympiad. Did A and P, Disease Detectives, and Fast Facts. :)

FermiGod
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: May 22nd, 2018, 8:20 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby FermiGod » July 14th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Can one of the mods for the SSSS confirm that they have received my email?

SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: Observable Universe
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby SciolyMaster » July 23rd, 2018, 9:24 pm

It has now been more than a week since I submitted my notes, and I still haven't heard back yet. Did you just stop accepting new submissions or what?

jaah5211
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 7:42 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby jaah5211 » July 24th, 2018, 4:32 pm

SciolyMaster wrote:It has now been more than a week since I submitted my notes, and I still haven't heard back yet. Did you just stop accepting new submissions or what?


I am pretty sure that I accepted your submission. Please recheck your email.
Jaehyun Ahn
Reg/State
Chem-Lab 6/4
Thermodynamics 5/4

chscioly
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: June 23rd, 2015, 3:18 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby chscioly » August 3rd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Hi, I submitted my DP test around a week ago and I haven’t heard back yet. Could a mod look over it and let me know if I need to edit anything? Thank you so much!

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 542
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » August 3rd, 2018, 2:12 pm

chscioly wrote:Hi, I submitted my DP test around a week ago and I haven’t heard back yet. Could a mod look over it and let me know if I need to edit anything? Thank you so much!


It has been received. Sorry, I'll bug the mod until they do it (I would've replied to your email yesterday, but I was out and about >.<). There are also one or two other submissions off the top of my head about that haven't been replied to that I'm...trying to get a mod to work on.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: Observable Universe
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby SciolyMaster » August 3rd, 2018, 2:36 pm

jaah5211 wrote:
SciolyMaster wrote:It has now been more than a week since I submitted my notes, and I still haven't heard back yet. Did you just stop accepting new submissions or what?


I am pretty sure that I accepted your submission. Please recheck your email.

Are you sure? I never received anything through email.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 542
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » August 3rd, 2018, 3:08 pm

SciolyMaster wrote:
jaah5211 wrote:
SciolyMaster wrote:It has now been more than a week since I submitted my notes, and I still haven't heard back yet. Did you just stop accepting new submissions or what?


I am pretty sure that I accepted your submission. Please recheck your email.

Are you sure? I never received anything through email.


I can confirm that an email was sent...I'll just resend it since that'll be faster (sorry, I didn't realize there were still issues with this other than file uploading). If that still doesn't work, maybe we can switch to email/PM so I can do things like confirm email (obviously not posting that), etc.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

sciencerules1234
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: August 2nd, 2018, 8:45 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby sciencerules1234 » August 4th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Mods, sorry for the extra bugging... I was wondering if you guys have received my Potions and Poisons Test for the SSSS. My email is pretty flaky and doesn’t send sometimes, and I hope this isn’t one of those “times”. Thanks!

User avatar
platypusomelette
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: long island
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby platypusomelette » August 5th, 2018, 11:47 am

Hey yea me too. I sent 2 emails but haven't gotten any reply

Oh wait, it's showing up in my spam. Guys check your spam folder
2019 events
anatomy
herp
genes
protein
disease
sounds

past events
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
dear sweet jesus almighty i hope i see states one day


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron