Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

JionPark
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by JionPark »

When writing a test, am I allowed to get an image from the internet? When I press an image on Google, the words, "Images may be subject to copyright", is shown below. I am wondering if I'm allowed to use those images because I don't want to take someone's work, and get the credit.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

JionPark wrote:When writing a test, am I allowed to get an image from the internet? When I press an image on Google, the words, "Images may be subject to copyright", is shown below. I am wondering if I'm allowed to use those images because I don't want to take someone's work, and get the credit.
Don't worry about citing images for a test. There are a variety of ways to format things, but citing images / sources particularly is an issue for notes. It's not necessary, but some notes need it to be more organized / useful. The only way you'd get in trouble that I can think of is using a photo from a textbook not online, which doesn't sound like the worry.

Also, sorry for late reply, uploading of resources / users, etc...was away recently. On that note, I'm back, so keep questions, submissions, etc going:D. Hope people are having fun summers!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

syo_astro wrote:
JionPark wrote:When writing a test, am I allowed to get an image from the internet? When I press an image on Google, the words, "Images may be subject to copyright", is shown below. I am wondering if I'm allowed to use those images because I don't want to take someone's work, and get the credit.
Don't worry about citing images for a test. There are a variety of ways to format things, but citing images / sources particularly is an issue for notes. It's not necessary, but some notes need it to be more organized / useful. The only way you'd get in trouble that I can think of is using a photo from a textbook not online, which doesn't sound like the worry.

Also, sorry for late reply, uploading of resources / users, etc...was away recently. On that note, I'm back, so keep questions, submissions, etc going:D. Hope people are having fun summers!
Thank you syo_astro! :D
EmilyLouie7
Division: B

Post by EmilyLouie7 »

Hi there, I have a question. I have a cheat sheet for Heredity which should be good for Genetics Division B. The problem is it's only 3,372 words and 14 images. The cheat sheet is only 2 pages for the event so should I extend it/change it into notes and add more or leave it as is? Thanks!
Bay Academy Science Olympiad. Did A and P, Disease Detectives, and Fast Facts. :)
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

EmilyLouie7 wrote:Hi there, I have a question. I have a cheat sheet for Heredity which should be good for Genetics Division B. The problem is it's only 3,372 words and 14 images. The cheat sheet is only 2 pages for the event so should I extend it/change it into notes and add more or leave it as is? Thanks!
Great question! You will probably have to extend to 7k words, maybe 6k. There's some flexibility, but 7k usually gets submissions closer to completion (pending quality, etc). You CAN go shorter with good / original content, like your own images / tables (example SSSS notes on wiki event pages).

Changing to non-cheatsheet notes usually makes the content more clear for review / use. We handle cheatsheets case by case because they can be more difficult to review (e.g. Small text that's hard to scan), and people have complained that they don't want to share them (in the past, people thought they had to share all the info from their cheatsheets or making their notes were basically like sharing their cheatsheets...fair enough, not the point of notes then).

Unrelated: We've gotten quite a few submissions, keep up the amazing work as always! I can give more specific updates/some numbers upon request, but we haven't gotten submissions for (note you should do whatever event you want to work on, but sometimes people are curious about this)...
All build events, ChemLab, Crime Busters, Density Lab, Designer, DyPlan, ExpD, Fossils, Geomaps, Mystery Arch, Protein Modeling, Shock Value, WIDI
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
EmilyLouie7
Division: B

Post by EmilyLouie7 »

syo_astro wrote:
EmilyLouie7 wrote:Hi there, I have a question. I have a cheat sheet for Heredity which should be good for Genetics Division B. The problem is it's only 3,372 words and 14 images. The cheat sheet is only 2 pages for the event so should I extend it/change it into notes and add more or leave it as is? Thanks!
Great question! You will probably have to extend to 7k words, maybe 6k. There's some flexibility, but 7k usually gets submissions closer to completion (pending quality, etc). You CAN go shorter with good / original content, like your own images / tables (example SSSS notes on wiki event pages).

Changing to non-cheatsheet notes usually makes the content more clear for review / use. We handle cheatsheets case by case because they can be more difficult to review (e.g. Small text that's hard to scan), and people have complained that they don't want to share them (in the past, people thought they had to share all the info from their cheatsheets or making their notes were basically like sharing their cheatsheets...fair enough, not the point of notes then).

Unrelated: We've gotten quite a few submissions, keep up the amazing work as always! I can give more specific updates/some numbers upon request, but we haven't gotten submissions for (note you should do whatever event you want to work on, but sometimes people are curious about this)...
All build events, ChemLab, Crime Busters, Density Lab, Designer, DyPlan, ExpD, Fossils, Geomaps, Mystery Arch, Protein Modeling, Shock Value, WIDI
Thank You so much! Hope you are having a great summer! ;)
Bay Academy Science Olympiad. Did A and P, Disease Detectives, and Fast Facts. :)
FermiGod

Post by FermiGod »

Can one of the mods for the SSSS confirm that they have received my email?
SciolyMaster
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SciolyMaster »

It has now been more than a week since I submitted my notes, and I still haven't heard back yet. Did you just stop accepting new submissions or what?
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, Astro
Past Events: WaterQual, Ping Pong, Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"
jaah5211
State: FL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jaah5211 »

SciolyMaster wrote:It has now been more than a week since I submitted my notes, and I still haven't heard back yet. Did you just stop accepting new submissions or what?
I am pretty sure that I accepted your submission. Please recheck your email.
chscioly
State: CA

Post by chscioly »

Hi, I submitted my DP test around a week ago and I haven’t heard back yet. Could a mod look over it and let me know if I need to edit anything? Thank you so much!

Return to “SSSS & SEC”