EmilyLouie7
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by EmilyLouie7 »

Unome wrote:
linzhiyan wrote:Where can we find the rules to events?
Specify some events and I can direct you to the relevant information.
Well, there is the science olympiad manual for this year and some previous events, like fossils or heredity, should be on the SciOly wiki if that's what you are looking for. Hope this helps!
Bay Academy Science Olympiad. Did A and P, Disease Detectives, and Fast Facts. :)
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

linzhiyan wrote:I don't know which one I'm going to do yet, but I'm looking at codebusters, sounds of music, fermi questions, anatomy and physiology, and forensics.
Fermi Questions and Forensics - use the most recent (2018) rules. Past rules aren't posted online, although you can probably get them from older teammates, coaches, etc.

Anatomy and Physiology - expected systems are Cardiovascular (most recently in rotation during 2015), Excretory (most recently in rotation during 2013 in Div C), and Lymphatic (not in rotation in at least 10 years). I would recommend referencing the relevant sections of those rules if you have them.

Sounds of Music - most recent rules are 2014 Div B, though since significant changes are expected (based on past comments by chalker) I would recommend not focusing too much on details in scoring.

Code Busters - use these trial rules.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
linzhiyan
Division: C
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan »

Unome wrote:
linzhiyan wrote:I don't know which one I'm going to do yet, but I'm looking at codebusters, sounds of music, fermi questions, anatomy and physiology, and forensics.
Fermi Questions and Forensics - use the most recent (2018) rules. Past rules aren't posted online, although you can probably get them from older teammates, coaches, etc.

Anatomy and Physiology - expected systems are Cardiovascular (most recently in rotation during 2015), Excretory (most recently in rotation during 2013 in Div C), and Lymphatic (not in rotation in at least 10 years). I would recommend referencing the relevant sections of those rules if you have them.

Sounds of Music - most recent rules are 2014 Div B, though since significant changes are expected (based on past comments by chalker) I would recommend not focusing too much on details in scoring.

Thank you so much!
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

linzhiyan wrote:
Unome wrote:

Thank you so much!
Woah this is useful. Getting the code busters rules right away. :)
Does anyone have the rules for Water Quality? I would really appreciate it.
darthvader1521

Post by darthvader1521 »

We can submit whenever we want during the summer, correct? I just want to make sure that there isn't a deadline because I want to wait until school is out before making my test.
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

darthvader1521 wrote:We can submit whenever we want during the summer, correct? I just want to make sure that there isn't a deadline because I want to wait until school is out before making my test.
There's a deadline, but it's not until mid-August. I think you should have plenty of time to make your test after school's out for you!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

darthvader1521 wrote:We can submit whenever we want during the summer, correct?...
Adding to Adi's post: The August deadline can be early or mid, and we don't announce (know) it until July-ish.

To Everyone: Waiting (...though, not procrastinating) can be good! It gives you time for quality work (including non-tests), and someone often asks me or mnstr about submissions that were already sent, which may influence your submission (as stated, there's no "event limit" for submissions, but it can help you to have submissions for a variety of events).

We've already received some submissions and are working on reviews:D. A reminder that if you sent a submission before June 1st, then the mods will not have gotten it, so resend if you did (saying just in case, hopefully not a big issue). Also, please follow the few email/submission formatting requirements in the first post!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
linzhiyan
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan »

If we submit notes, does it have to be in cheat sheet form?
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by venules »

1. The first post says that you should name your resource in the title of your email, and my understanding of this is that each resource should be sent in a separate email. Is this correct?

2. If we say we don't want our resources publicized at the end of SSSS, are we allowed to publicize them at a later date? I'm just indecisive lol
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

linzhiyan wrote:If we submit notes, does it have to be in cheat sheet form?
Quite the opposite. It will be easier if notes are not in cheat sheet form. There is no standard format, so you can send in a cheat sheet if you want. The issue is that users often send in cheatsheets with two issues:
1. It's all copy / paste, which makes it difficult to evaluate the quality of work put into the notes.
2. It's not PDF. Often files can't be opened or other issues arise that makes review impossible. This is because the files usually are densely packed with over 50,000 words and 20 images...That makes sense for a cheat sheet for yourself, but it can make it difficult for other people unless you organize it very sensibly.

forever said this in the first post, but there are various examples of notes on the wiki pages of individual events (should be near the bottom) as well as a few on https://scioly.org/tests/ (for some reason...ctrl f "notes" for them). I also said that nobody can stop you if you use your sections of notes from your own cheatsheet (which ideally makes notes easier), but it'll probably be easier for us if you avoid using it for the entirety of your notes (this also should encourage you to do some studying / organizing of your notes!). Please double check those notes as examples and the explanations throughout the thread, but I hope that clears things up.
venules wrote:1. The first post says that you should name your resource in the title of your email, and my understanding of this is that each resource should be sent in a separate email. Is this correct?
2. If we say we don't want our resources publicized at the end of SSSS, are we allowed to publicize them at a later date? I'm just indecisive lol
1. If you would like to send in more than one resource, then yes, please send each one in a separate email.
2. From first post: "You must tell [referring to uploading a resource] us beforehand [referring to the end of SSSS]...". You can change your mind during SSSS or upload it yourself after SSSS, but more emails means more chances for mistakes. Does that clear things up?

Edit: Everyone, make sure to double check the first post please. Send PDFs, don't send cheat sheets that are heavily copy / pasted.
Last edited by syo_astro on June 4th, 2018, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “SSSS & SEC”