Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Post by TheChiScientist »

Makes sense. Guess I'll make some thermo tests. :)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
emjrennich
State: MI
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Post by emjrennich »

I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
PHS class of '19
UM class of '23

UMSO Executive Director 21-23
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
emjrennich

Post by emjrennich »

antoine_ego wrote:
emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).
PHS class of '19
UM class of '23

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

emjrennich wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).
I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
emjrennich

Post by emjrennich »

Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?
PHS class of '19
UM class of '23

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?
I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
emjrennich

Post by emjrennich »

Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote: I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

Hmm... isn’t wright stuff going from B to C though this year? And yes, I’d love to hear what guesses you have!
PHS class of '19
UM class of '23

knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:

Hmm... isn’t wright stuff going from B to C though this year? And yes, I’d love to hear what guesses you have!
Why don't the flying events happen simultaneously in B and C? Having mostly done events which happened simultaneously in B and C - the green gen/eco rotation, the different DP topics, wind power/thermo - I've wondered several times why that's not the case for flying too.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

If there are issues / confusion about the list that's a simple fix, please email or PM. If it's about event rotations, there's a thread for it (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11427&start=270). There's been a lot of posts recently (understandable, we just started), but this has been confusing people (some questions are being repeated / answers missed in the OP). The discussion isn't irrelevant, but a full, focused discussion about this is better in the other thread I linked.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “SSSS & SEC”