Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Escaping the Canadian Special Forces!
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby TheChiScientist » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:30 am

Makes sense. Guess I'll make some thermo tests. :)
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:21 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, Exp Design, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby emjrennich » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 am

I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D

User avatar
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 12:37 am
Division: C
State: MA
Location: Acton Boxborough Regional High School
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby antoine_ego » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:24 am

emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D


We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby emjrennich » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:32 pm

antoine_ego wrote:
emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D


We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.


Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3504
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby Unome » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:04 pm

emjrennich wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
emjrennich wrote:I think the event list for division C in the intro may be a bit off.. judging from the wiki on event listings (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... nt_Listing), Wright stuff has only been gone for 2 years, so I think Elastic Launched Glider may be coming back in place of helicopters instead. Just a thought, obviously nothing's certain about event predictions! :D


We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.


Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).

I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby emjrennich » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
We typically predict off the SOSI schedule, since it's a workshop for coaches to prepare for next year.


Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).

I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.


Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3504
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby Unome » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:22 pm

emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Hmm thats interesting! I guess it is going to be wright stuff next year... just a little confused as to why they would cut ELG out of the event rotation and run wright stuff (2015-16), helicopters (2017-18), then wright stuff again (2019-).

I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.


Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?

I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

emjrennich
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby emjrennich » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:I suspect they intend to "reverse" the rotation direction, so I'm thinking 2021 will be ELG in C and Helicopters in B.


Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?

I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.


Hmm... isn’t wright stuff going from B to C though this year? And yes, I’d love to hear what guesses you have!

knottingpurple
Member
Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:44 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby knottingpurple » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 am

emjrennich wrote:
Unome wrote:
emjrennich wrote:
Oh thats kinda cool! Do you know if they intend to switch the rotation for other events?

I don't even know why they're switching this one (or if that's what they're doing). The original purpose of having the flight events rotate from C to B was so that they didn't move from B to C along with competitors.

I can give some guesses on specific events if you would like.


Hmm... isn’t wright stuff going from B to C though this year? And yes, I’d love to hear what guesses you have!


Why don't the flying events happen simultaneously in B and C? Having mostly done events which happened simultaneously in B and C - the green gen/eco rotation, the different DP topics, wind power/thermo - I've wondered several times why that's not the case for flying too.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:45 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 am

If there are issues / confusion about the list that's a simple fix, please email or PM. If it's about event rotations, there's a thread for it (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11427&start=270). There's been a lot of posts recently (understandable, we just started), but this has been confusing people (some questions are being repeated / answers missed in the OP). The discussion isn't irrelevant, but a full, focused discussion about this is better in the other thread I linked.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Ten086
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:35 pm
Division: C
State: -
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby Ten086 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey, just wondering if this was a typo or not—the first post says to send your resource to summer@scioly.org but send questions to summerscioly@scioly.org, are these different on purpose? Thanks!
Just trying my best...

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:45 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:55 am

Ten086 wrote:Hey, just wondering if this was a typo or not—the first post says to send your resource to summer@scioly.org but send questions to summerscioly@scioly.org, are these different on purpose? Thanks!


The email to use is only summer@scioly.org, thanks for pointing out the typo (it's fixed now).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

yxu08
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:11 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby yxu08 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:15 am

As for the notes, do they have to be typed up online and then emailed? Or can they be scanned written notes on loose-leaf?

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:45 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby syo_astro » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 pm

yxu08 wrote:As for the notes, do they have to be typed up online and then emailed? Or can they be scanned written notes on loose-leaf?


We need to be able to read them / access them in a PDF. Please keep in mind two common issues with scanning handwritten notes: They may not be legible (then we can't read them...we'll tell you, but usually it's on you to fix it), and they can be difficult to edit / correct. As long as this isn't a bother for you, it's fine.
Last edited by syo_astro on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

yxu08
Member
Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:11 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Contact:

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2018

Postby yxu08 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 am

Got it, thanks!


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests