College Academic Competitions?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

College Academic Competitions?

Post by Alex-RCHS »

I'm starting college in the fall (UNC-Chapel Hill) and I need something to replace the gaping void scioly will leave behind in my life a new hobby. Of course, I'll be volunteering at the regional, state, and invitational level (and maybe national someday) but I would also like to compete in... something.

So are there any clubs or activities that are similar to scioly in college?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Re: College Academic Competitions?

Post by syo_astro »

Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm starting college in the fall (UNC-Chapel Hill) and I need something to replace the gaping void scioly will leave behind in my life a new hobby. Of course, I'll be volunteering at the regional, state, and invitational level (and maybe national someday) but I would also like to compete in... something.

Disclaimer: Depends. In college, I liked other things more or got more out of doing those other things (classes, research, outreach...games, a social life not through competitions). There's a lot to do as an undergraduate, and you don't have to do (or may not have time for) competitions. Just something to keep in mind.

Disclaimer done, onto what you actually want...and the answers depends on what you want. There are various that may not be nearby/you'd have to drive to, like the College Puzzle Challenge (which I did sometimes). Depending on your major, there are engineering competitions (like usually there's one for solar powered cars, Biomed, etc). For something more like high school, I recall there being Quizbowl (https://heellife.unc.edu/organization/academicteam). Checking your student orgs pages (https://heellife.unc.edu/organizations? ... ories=9135), I also found a long long list like Mock World Health Org, National Trial team, Marketing, Moot Court, etc. There are also online competitions like kaggle. If you are just into have a timed activity, maybe there's escape rooms or geocaching?

Basically, the student orgs page might be more useful than my rambling, but I hope this gives a few ideas. You'll definitely find something...but do you know which aspects of scioly you'd like to see in other clubs? Hope to see you around in any case:).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm starting college in the fall (UNC-Chapel Hill) and I need something to replace the gaping void scioly will leave behind in my life a new hobby. Of course, I'll be volunteering at the regional, state, and invitational level (and maybe national someday) but I would also like to compete in... something.

If you do enough scioly volunteering, that should take up plenty of time :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
megrimlockawesom
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Post by megrimlockawesom »

You could try coaching your old team (B or C) albeit from far away!
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Also, you could try the whole Div. D thing and help the Uni start an invitational at that location.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:

If you do enough scioly volunteering, that should take up plenty of time :P
Don’t worry, I’ll be doing this for sure. But I’m not sure if that can fix my urge to compete in something. I want to keep winning stuff!!

Also, yes I would like to help out RCHS if I can. Maybe help out an event or two.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Academic clubs at my university tend to be more focused, with everyone in the club working on a common project such as building a rocket.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

I was really considering Cornell and I was so hype to volunteer at their invite and at Nats and take the bus back to NJ to volunteer at our States but then I didn't choose Cornell and now idk how I'm going to give back to scioly from the UK...
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythelongface »

The advantage of going to Emory is being in the same state as Unome :P and knowing UGA is an option as a tournament to volunteer at.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:The advantage of going to Emory is being in the same state as Unome :P and knowing UGA is an option as a tournament to volunteer at.
Also all of the regional competitions in close proximity, plus the state tournaments... :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Chat”