23/28 event format

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Kai0721
Division: B
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

23/28 event format

Post by Kai0721 »

I was just looking at my state’s (WI) SO website and saw that they posted a list of 2019 events and the states schedule and I saw that this year division B and C will be running 23/28 event format which I assume means that of the 28 events we are running a team must choose 23 to compete in. Does any one else’s state do this and how does scoring work for events your team doesn’t do?
2018-19 Events: Amazing Mechatronic :P , Battery Buggy :D , ELG, :o Density Lab, :)
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: 23/28 event format

Post by Unome »

Kai0721 wrote:I was just looking at my state’s (WI) SO website and saw that they posted a list of 2019 events and the states schedule and I saw that this year division B and C will be running 23/28 event format which I assume means that of the 28 events we are running a team must choose 23 to compete in. Does any one else’s state do this and how does scoring work for events your team doesn’t do?
I assume it works exactly how Wisconsin Div C has for the last several years. I believe in addition, WI has the requirement that the 5 events not competed in have to be one each from the five areas of science as defined by the rules committees (with physics and chemistry together). I'm not certain about this.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 23/28 event format

Post by Adi1008 »

Kai0721 wrote:I was just looking at my state’s (WI) SO website and saw that they posted a list of 2019 events and the states schedule and I saw that this year division B and C will be running 23/28 event format which I assume means that of the 28 events we are running a team must choose 23 to compete in. Does any one else’s state do this and how does scoring work for events your team doesn’t do?
Texas Science Olympiad does this. We get a score of "0" for the 5 events we don't compete in and get scored normally in remaining 23 events.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Return to “General Competition”