High School Choice

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
TheCowboyandhisArk
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: High School Choice

Post by TheCowboyandhisArk »

I Don't have a choice What HS I go to, lucky for me we aren't Crap.
However, if you wanted to switch me from school districts you would have to do it 3 or 4 years ago before I got too into Scioly, and my friends. Id personally go with my friends and try to push through the Storm of crap and get to Nats through brute force.
Science Olympian From Grand Haven Since 2015
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c1g ... MojTg/edit
2020 Events (R/S/N)
Astronomy:
Dynamic
Fossils
Geologic
Ping Pong Para
Sounds of music
Wright stuff
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: High School Choice

Post by PM2017 »

Unome wrote:
DatSciolyBoi wrote:Hi, i'm an 8th grader who's only specialty seems to be Scioly. And i'm faced with a dilemma. My closest high school is DBHS who's Scioly team is so-so, and 20 minutes away, is Troy. You know, the Troy that wins at nationals a lot. Most of my friends are going to DBHS, but I know that if I want to continue Scioly, I'll have to go to Troy. So do I ditch my friends for a chance to get into a national team? Or should I just drop Scioly altogether.

(I might not reply to your reply cause I only check my account like once a day)
Choosing Diamond Bar doesn't mean you have to drop Scioly... you can always try to make Diamond Bar into a good team.

Personally, in this situation I would have chosen Troy. My middle school friends mostly went to different schools anyway, and I still keep in touch.

Note that if you do choose Troy, be prepared to put a lot more effort into Scioly. I'd estimate minimum 20 hours a week if you want to have a shot at the Nationals team prior to graduating, closer to 30-40 if you want to get on in sophomore or freshman year.
Diamond Bar is a good team.

I too would have chosen to go to Troy though.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “General Competition”