what if i dont jnow a answer to a question

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Klikens02

what if i dont jnow a answer to a question

Postby Klikens02 » February 28th, 2019, 3:48 pm

:{

JoeyC
Division: C
State: TX

Re: what if i dont jnow a answer to a question

Postby JoeyC » February 28th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Choose the most logical guess. If it's an FRQ, make something up and make it as vague as humanly possible. If you have no idea, draw a circle, then make sections for each answer choice, then RNG it. Not knowing answers is natural; guessing the right answer is what makes you a scientist. (scientific method = really systemic guessing process)
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Compound Machines, Chem Lab, WaQua (maybe), Ornith (maybe)
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Postby DatSciolyBoi » February 28th, 2019, 5:15 pm

As Joey said, make a educated guess. But if you have absolutely no idea, do what my friends is Solar Systems did: they wrote "aliens" for every question they didn't know.

What Caused the formation of the asteroid belt? Aliens
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets

TheCowboyandhisArk
State: MI

Postby TheCowboyandhisArk » March 1st, 2019, 5:52 am

Flag it and save it for the end of the test, don't spend too much time on it so long as you have more questions to answer. Continue and keep going through the test, I've found that a lot of the time you can find the answer, or a piece of evidence that makes the answer click in your head further on in the test. And if at the end you haven't found it, SWAG it, use logical reasoning to try and make something up that makes sense. (Did this last year in a solar test and ended up getting second)
Science Olympian From Grand Haven Since 2015
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c1g ... MojTg/edit
2019 Events (First year Div C) Regionals/ States / Nats
Astronomy: 1/-/-
Codebusters-/-/-
Dynamic -/-/-
Fossils-/-/-
Geologic Mapping 1/4/-
Wright Stuff-/-/-

HuskyLove
State: CA

Postby HuskyLove » March 7th, 2019, 1:50 pm

There are a couple of different things you can do:

1. Leave it for the end (and if you're completely lost, hope that you somehow magically remember). It's better to move on and fill out questions you actually know than end up being forced to leave the whole test blank since you wasted all your time on that one question. If your event is stations though, this doesn't really help.

2. Make an educated guess (or as I like to say, fake it 'til you make it. Also called BS'ing). If you don't know the answer, use context clues from the questions or from your cheat sheet and come up with something that sounds halfway decent. For example, I recently took a Fossils test where my partner and I were struggling to identify the leaf specimen. We ended up going with Platanus. However, the last question mentioned Canadians and people going to IHOP, which made us change our answer to Acer (maples).

3. Do a Hail Mary. Put something completely and utterly random. Two of my friends would write multiple choice options on an eraser and throw it. Whichever side landed up was the answer they put. There was a kid who, on a Fast Facts practice test, put "strawberry cough syrup" for a vaccine starting with "s". It's better to put something random than to leave the question completely blank, and you'll probably never meet that grader so there's no fear of being judged. Who knows, you might give your grader something to laugh about.
Dana MS '17 --- Arcadia HS '21

Events I've Taken (Past and Present):
B: Bio-Process Lab, Fossils, R&M, Food Science, Optics, Invasive Species
C: Forensics, Towers, R&M, Fossils, Write It Do It, Designer Genes, Sounds of Music

wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Postby wec01 » March 9th, 2019, 6:25 am

Depending on the event it may also be helpful to try to use keywords and any seemingly relevant equations in your answer. Sometimes the grading is very mechanical and they're just looking for the right equation or keywords, so you may be able to get partial credit that way.
2019 Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

HeyIt'sSarahhhh
Division: B
State: NY

Postby HeyIt'sSarahhhh » March 12th, 2019, 3:23 am

What I usually do is leave it for the end of the test, and then answer it then so I don't waste time. If I can't figure it out, I usually put down something relevant to the topic and hope something I said made sense to the graders. Also, like others said, maybe you can find hints in other parts of the test, depending on the question.
Eagle Hill MS '23
2019 Events- Crime/XP/Roller
2018 Events- Crime/Popo/Hover

"Obtain the grain, greet the wheat, yeet the yeast, and get that bread"

OpticsNerd

Postby OpticsNerd » March 18th, 2019, 11:35 am

Come back to it later if the test isn't too long. You could find hints on it later in the test if the test writer wasn't careful.
National Tournaments: 2018 CSU B-4th(Wright Stuff)
2019 Events(C): Boomilever, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives, Thermodynamics, Wright Stuff
Medal Count: 37
Invitationals: 21
Regionals: 9
State: 5
Nationals: 1

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » March 19th, 2019, 9:15 am

just guess 4Header
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

knightmoves

Postby knightmoves » March 19th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Come back to it later if the test isn't too long. You could find hints on it later in the test if the test writer wasn't careful.
True. Sometimes, the answer is in the very next question!

Return to “General Competition”