Invitational Raw Scores

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
teemo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Invitational Raw Scores

Post by teemo »

I've noticed that many invitationals release school rankings by event either through their websites or through this website.
However, I have had difficulty finding raw scores and/or score distribution graphs for invitationals.
Although it is great that many tournaments release tests so that people can practice using them, it is slightly frustrating that there are no scores to compare yourself to once you are done, since you cannot know where you fall in terms of performance.
Is there some website/post that collects these raw scores from various tournaments, or are they simply not available for most invites?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Invitational Raw Scores

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

teemo wrote:I've noticed that many invitationals release school rankings by event either through their websites or through this website.
However, I have had difficulty finding raw scores and/or score distribution graphs for invitationals.
Although it is great that many tournaments release tests so that people can practice using them, it is slightly frustrating that there are no scores to compare yourself to once you are done, since you cannot know where you fall in terms of performance.
Is there some website/post that collects these raw scores from various tournaments, or are they simply not available for most invites?
Invitational raw scores are generally sent to the participant schools (at least the ones I've went to) and not shared, so the data is likely not available without some intense e-mailing.
teemo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by teemo »

Do you know if these participant schools usually receive raw scores for only their own team or for all of the teams participating at the tournament?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

teemo wrote:Do you know if these participant schools usually receive raw scores for only their own team or for all of the teams participating at the tournament?
Releasing of raw scores varies. It's common here in Georgia - almost every invitational releases scores (usually via email, simply because many don't have websites), and regional/state raw scores are posted on the state website as of this year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

teemo wrote:Do you know if these participant schools usually receive raw scores for only their own team or for all of the teams participating at the tournament?
Participant schools receive raw scores for every team but it's very unlikely that you'll get these scores just by asking, since these spreadsheets are considered pretty valuable by test traders.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

builderguy135 wrote:
Participant schools receive raw scores for every team but it's very unlikely that you'll get these scores just by asking, since these spreadsheets are considered pretty valuable by test traders.
It's dependent on the tournament. Westlake bundles their raw scores with the test set - coupled with the generally good quality of the tests and the set, the Westlake set was always near the top of my list when trading.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

When it comes to raw scores, you need to have connections. The only way to get raw scores if a tournament doesnt post them is to 1.) Know the tournament director and ask them for it, 2.) Know the event supervisor for a specific event and ask them for it, or 3.) Know someone who knows the TD or ES and have them ask for it.
If you dont personally know the TD or ES, you are unlikely to have success because everyone is usually told not to give out raw scores.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “General Competition”