How to be a good Captain for the team?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI

How to be a good Captain for the team?

Postby Chameleon02 » March 25th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Hi, I was elected captain today of our team. (About top 12 in the state in Michigan consistently). As our team will be on the decline next year what are cool things captains can implement on the team to make it fun, competitive, etc.
Captain of Canton Highschool
Class of 2020

Chameleon02

Re: How to be a good Captain for the team?

Postby Chameleon02 » March 25th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Hi, I was elected captain today of our team. (About top 12 in the state in Michigan consistently). As our team will be on the decline next year what are cool things captains can implement on the team to make it fun, competitive, etc. Im going to have icebreakers at the first meeting of the season and other stuff but what else could I do.
Captain of Canton Highschool
Class of 2020

DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Postby DatSciolyBoi » March 25th, 2019, 3:14 pm

You can try to establish a points system, for example, top three people who have the most documented study hours get a gift card or something. Another way is to promise a end of the year party, at like a laser tag arena or a swimming pool. This usually helps boost morale and make things fun! Good luck running the team!
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » March 25th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Hi, I was elected captain today of our team. (About top 12 in the state in Michigan consistently). As our team will be on the decline next year what are cool things captains can implement on the team to make it fun, competitive, etc.
1. Prepare for a lot of work. As a captain, you don't really get breaks.
2. Change your mindset. If you think your team is going to decline, it's more likely to decline.
3. Be an example. Ideally the sort of example that people would like to imitate, though that's hard to do.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » April 3rd, 2019, 5:51 am

If you think your team is gonna decline, it's gonna decline

hold practices, but don't make them too long or your team will burnout quick, especially if it's a high school. Probably weekly after school for an hour should do the trick. Bring food as that typically motivates people and boosts morale.

Set deadlines, especially for build events. When Our Varsity wright stuff did their plane at the last minute, they had no trim kit and their plane was extremely shoddy. They got beat by our JV3 (granted, our JV3 had been prepping 3 weeks prior).

Also, be easy to approach. You don't want to have your teammates not ask for help (especially if they don't know what they are doing) or else they won't succeed
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

SHASO2018

Postby SHASO2018 » April 3rd, 2019, 7:23 am

Make sure you guys go to lots of invitationals. After we got a new coach a few years ago, our team fell apart quickly because he didn't know what he was doing and didn't look into invitationals, even with reminding. We haven't gone to states in two years due to being in a new region and not attending invitationals. Invitationals are where you can get a vibe of Science Olympiad, seeing how much fun it is, and people will want to work harder to get better. Being positive always helps, too.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

Current Events: Dynamic Planet (1st at Reg), Forensics (1st at Reg), Sounds of Music (3rd at Reg somehow)
Previous Events: DP, Crime Busters, DD, Optics, Wind Power, Fast Facts, Rocks and Minerals, Game On, Experimental Design, Mission Possible (sorta) and kinda Thermo

Name
State: NY

Postby Name » April 3rd, 2019, 7:35 am

Make sure you guys go to lots of invitationals. After we got a new coach a few years ago, our team fell apart quickly because he didn't know what he was doing and didn't look into invitationals, even with reminding. We haven't gone to states in two years due to being in a new region and not attending invitationals. Invitationals are where you can get a vibe of Science Olympiad, seeing how much fun it is, and people will want to work harder to get better. Being positive always helps, too.
Invites don't guarentee success, and not attending any is probably not the primary reason a team isn't succeeding.
South Woods MS/Syosset HS
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, hopefully Fossils

"The more cheese, the more holes. The more holes the less cheese. Therefore the more cheese, the less cheese."

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » April 3rd, 2019, 7:50 am

Invites don't guarentee success, and not attending any is probably not the primary reason a team isn't succeeding.
My position on this is that a team should generally try to attend at least one invitational. To me, the sweet spot is 2-3 invitationals. so you get one or two cycles of "test and fix" before regionals. Going beyond that depends on the team; if you want to attend around 10 invitationals a year, go for it, but if that's a strain on your resources, it's probably not as worth it for you.

I agree that not attending invitationals may not be a primary reason a team isn't succeeding, but it can help maintain interest throughout the year and aids in mental preparation as well as actual competitive preparation.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

SHASO2018

Postby SHASO2018 » April 3rd, 2019, 8:33 am

My position on this is that a team should generally try to attend at least one invitational. To me, the sweet spot is 2-3 invitationals. so you get one or two cycles of "test and fix" before regionals. Going beyond that depends on the team; if you want to attend around 10 invitationals a year, go for it, but if that's a strain on your resources, it's probably not as worth it for you.

I agree that not attending invitationals may not be a primary reason a team isn't succeeding, but it can help maintain interest throughout the year and aids in mental preparation as well as actual competitive preparation.
That's what I was trying to say. You can't show up to an invitational unprepared and clueless, but it does teach you how SO works and who to look out for.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

Current Events: Dynamic Planet (1st at Reg), Forensics (1st at Reg), Sounds of Music (3rd at Reg somehow)
Previous Events: DP, Crime Busters, DD, Optics, Wind Power, Fast Facts, Rocks and Minerals, Game On, Experimental Design, Mission Possible (sorta) and kinda Thermo

JojoCho
State: GA

Postby JojoCho » April 8th, 2019, 6:52 am

Have fun when you're supposed to have fun; be strict when you need to be strict. Help out the newer members of the team and that will help you gain lots of respect and makes you a good role model. I remember being a freshman and one of the senior captains helped me out a lot, so that made me want to do better in SciOly and kept me motivated. Be that upperclassman that the younger students want to become when they eventually become a junior/senior (or I guess whatever grade you are in). Sometimes, that means sacrificing a bit of your time studying/building to help others because as a captain your job is to make sure the whole team does well. After big tournaments, you can host a dinner-get together for the whole team (our team goes to Sweet Tomatoes every year after State) and this helps us bond as a team. :)
Chattahoochee Class of 2019 || University of Georgia Class of 2023
2017:Game on || Helicopters || Towers
2018:Game on || Helicopters || Towers || Mousetrap Vehicle
2019:Boomilever || Mission Possible || Mousetrap Vehicle || Sounds of Music || Wright Stuff
User Page

Return to “General Competition”