Binders and Notesheets

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Rossyspsce
State: -

Binders and Notesheets

Postby Rossyspsce » April 8th, 2019, 7:28 pm

where do you guys buy your binders? what brand? size? any bulk deals out there?

krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Binders and Notesheets

Postby krasabnk » April 8th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I usually buy the Office Depot brand of binders at Office Max... it is there where I usually grab my materials, not just binders. If you want a cheaper option, Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, and other pharmacy stores may also have binders in their shelves. Size for me usually depends on the restrictions for the event. Because Herpetology requires at most a 2” binder, that would be what I search for. Don’t think pharmacies have 2” binders though.
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

TheCrazyChemist
Division: B
State: CT
Location: Trying to figure out if my purpose on Earth is to correct people's grammar

Postby TheCrazyChemist » April 9th, 2019, 3:59 am

Staples is also a pretty good store, though I'm not sure how the price compares to other stores. However, you can find basically all the supplies you need for Science Olympiad there.
Anything I do does not reflect anyone or anything but me and my opinions. Any acts of idiocy committed by me should be treated likewise.
TheCrazyChemist's Userpage

Things2do
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » April 9th, 2019, 5:52 pm

I use thrift stores. I've got up to 5 or 6 inches for a dollar or less...
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » April 10th, 2019, 8:24 am

I'm hijacking this topic because the title is ambiguous: how do you prune (let's say) hefty binders? Physics events don't need much volume, but taxonomy events do, and some supervisors pull obscure factoids that run beyond homemade materials and published ones such that you often have to draw from several different resources. Of course, that gets unwieldy. How do you decide what to cut?

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 10th, 2019, 8:33 am

Skink wrote:I'm hijacking this topic because the title is ambiguous: how do you prune (let's say) hefty binders? Physics events don't need much volume, but taxonomy events do, and some supervisors pull obscure factoids that run beyond homemade materials and published ones such that you often have to draw from several different resources. Of course, that gets unwieldy. How do you decide what to cut?

Hmm, our circuit lab binder is quite hefty, do you suggest we cut it down?
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby jaspattack » April 10th, 2019, 9:40 am

Arpitr20 wrote:
Skink wrote:I'm hijacking this topic because the title is ambiguous: how do you prune (let's say) hefty binders? Physics events don't need much volume, but taxonomy events do, and some supervisors pull obscure factoids that run beyond homemade materials and published ones such that you often have to draw from several different resources. Of course, that gets unwieldy. How do you decide what to cut?

Abbreviating sentences and making the font size smaller can cut down on binder size, as well as removing things you've memorized (provided you trust your memory). Looking at tests and seeing what's mentioned and what isn't can also help you judge if something is worth keeping in the notes. Our fossils binder at regionals was ~50 pages, but we didn't have nearly as much information as we could have. My pages are also double-sided, so that cuts down on volume.

As for whether or not you should prune your binder: I mean, as long as you can find information in your binder quickly and it isn't, like, physically exhausting to carry you should be okay? It just depends on what works for you. Like it was previously stated, taxonomy events can pull out some obscure questions and having that information in there can be the difference between first and second place. However, I'm not quite sure with physics events.
(Projected) 2019-2020 Events (C): Astronomy, Designer Genes, Forensics, Write It Do It
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (formerly also Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » April 10th, 2019, 1:35 pm

jaspattack wrote:
Arpitr20 wrote:

Abbreviating sentences and making the font size smaller can cut down on binder size, as well as removing things you've memorized (provided you trust your memory). Looking at tests and seeing what's mentioned and what isn't can also help you judge if something is worth keeping in the notes. Our fossils binder at regionals was ~50 pages, but we didn't have nearly as much information as we could have. My pages are also double-sided, so that cuts down on volume.

As for whether or not you should prune your binder: I mean, as long as you can find information in your binder quickly and it isn't, like, physically exhausting to carry you should be okay? It just depends on what works for you. Like it was previously stated, taxonomy events can pull out some obscure questions and having that information in there can be the difference between first and second place. However, I'm not quite sure with physics events.

Even if it is physically exhausting to carry, that's more of a problem with the user than a problem with the binder. As long as you can get what you need quickly, it doesn't matter what your binder is like.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MissAmargasaurus
State: ID

Postby MissAmargasaurus » April 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

I had to go through this with my herpetology binder due to the rule change. The first things to do are always smallest readable font, concise information (it really helps to bold the important stuff I've found), pictures small enough to not take up too much space while also still being legible, and good organization. When you have a pattern down for how you do your sheets, it gets a lot easier to make sure you only have the information you'll need. (Basic example: All of my ID events have followed at the very least a pattern of a section for taxonomy, appearance, and diet.) Printing the sheets double-sided can also help significantly, but in my experience this works best only if you make sure your sheets are only 1 page, otherwise some weird organization stuff happens which can make it hard to find the sheets you need during competition.

When it comes to cutting stuff down, I usually start with information that I already know very well. If you know several word definitions by heart for example, you don't need to devote an entire page to them. Pictures are something I've found we can cut down on too. Instead of an entire page of different turtle species, we cut it down to there just being 3-5 pictures. If needed, I think removing page protectors can also cut down on the size a little if you're really struggling to get everything to fit into a binder.

If it comes to it, writing stuff in by hand after printing can also save space and resources. A lot of the time me and my partner will go through the answer sheet after we've taken a test, and write down in pencil any information from it that we think is likely to come up in another test.

Hope that helps!

tl;dr - Small fonts and pictures, consistent page organization, removal of pages no longer necessary, writing in stuff after printing to save resources.
2016-17 Season: Experimental Design, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-2018 Season: Experimental Design, Ecology, Herpetology
2018-2019 Season: Experimental Design, Fossils, Herpetology, Wright Stuff
I love reptiles and fossils! <3

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 11th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Unome wrote:
jaspattack wrote:
Arpitr20 wrote:Hmm, our circuit lab binder is quite hefty, do you suggest we cut it down?

Even if it is physically exhausting to carry, that's more of a problem with the user than a problem with the binder. As long as you can get what you need quickly, it doesn't matter what your binder is like.

We have a very sophisticated system of tabs and a table of contents, so we are able to maneuver to the right topics in our binder with relative ease... so then its beneficial to have more information?
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/

Rossyspsce
State: -

Postby Rossyspsce » April 16th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Anyone know of places to buy cheap, good quality sheet protectors? Or which brands tend to be best quality to price wise?

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby jaspattack » April 17th, 2019, 9:40 am

Arpitr20 wrote:We have a very sophisticated system of tabs and a table of contents, so we are able to maneuver to the right topics in our binder with relative ease... so then its beneficial to have more information?

That sounds great! As long as your binder is useful to you in an event, then you can have as much info as you want. Like I said, it's all about what works for you.

Rossyspsce wrote:Anyone know of places to buy cheap, good quality sheet protectors? Or which brands tend to be best quality to price wise?

I use Staples sheet protectors in all of my SciOly binders, so I can vouch for those. They're cheap, and you can buy a lot of them in one package. However, I'm sure other brands are fine. Staples is just what I have access to.
(Projected) 2019-2020 Events (C): Astronomy, Designer Genes, Forensics, Write It Do It
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (formerly also Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design)

Killboe
Division: B
State: FL

Postby Killboe » April 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

jaspattack wrote:
Arpitr20 wrote:We have a very sophisticated system of tabs and a table of contents, so we are able to maneuver to the right topics in our binder with relative ease... so then its beneficial to have more information?

That sounds great! As long as your binder is useful to you in an event, then you can have as much info as you want. Like I said, it's all about what works for you.

Rossyspsce wrote:Anyone know of places to buy cheap, good quality sheet protectors? Or which brands tend to be best quality to price wise?

I use Staples sheet protectors in all of my SciOly binders, so I can vouch for those. They're cheap, and you can buy a lot of them in one package. However, I'm sure other brands are fine. Staples is just what I have access to.

How are you exalted with 13 posts?
River City Science Academy

2019 Events

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

My Wiki

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby jaspattack » April 17th, 2019, 10:17 am

Killboe wrote:How are you exalted with 13 posts?

Short answer: Wiki work. I wrote most of the Designer Genes wiki page and added a lot of events to the Trial Event page (as well as made pages for some of the events on that page without pages). I've also done a lot more miscellaneous work around the wiki, so that's why I'm exalted despite the fact that I don't have that many posts on the forums.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » April 17th, 2019, 1:29 pm

jaspattack wrote:
Killboe wrote:How are you exalted with 13 posts?

Short answer: Wiki work. I wrote most of the Designer Genes wiki page and added a lot of events to the Trial Event page (as well as made pages for some of the events on that page without pages). I've also done a lot more miscellaneous work around the wiki, so that's why I'm exalted despite the fact that I don't have that many posts on the forums.

To add on to this, wiki work is weighted more heavily than posting when it comes to awarding exalted medals. There are exalted members that have zero posts on the forums. It's theoretically possible to become an exalted member just by outstanding content of forum posts, but it's very difficult.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Return to “General Chat”