Team selections

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Arpitr20

Team selections

Postby Arpitr20 » April 10th, 2019, 8:24 am

Hey everyone!
Our school's science Olympiad has been very small for a very long time, and I had just joined it this year due to science bowl conflicts. This year was the first year we made it to state. However, it looks like were going to placed in a tough spot in terms of team selections next year. Up until now, our team has pretty much allowed whoever wanted to be on the A team to be on the A team, without any conflicts because our club is small. However, both of our feeder middle schools are the strongest 2 teams in the state, and a ton of them are coming to my school next year. That means, likely, we will have to have some form of team selection process.

How do your schools do team selections, and what are your thoughts on the best (and by that I mean fairest) strategy.
**I would like to point out that I strongly believe that any form of testing into the team should be completely merit based, (no note, so any thoughts on merit based vs non merit based testing would be appreciated as well, either to cement my idea or sway my opinion. I simply feel that those who have internalized the information are likely to do better and work harder than those that just have good notes.
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/

Rossyspsce
State: -

Re: Team selections

Postby Rossyspsce » April 10th, 2019, 9:21 am

Arpitr20 wrote:Hey everyone!
Our school's science Olympiad has been very small for a very long time, and I had just joined it this year due to science bowl conflicts. This year was the first year we made it to state. However, it looks like were going to placed in a tough spot in terms of team selections next year. Up until now, our team has pretty much allowed whoever wanted to be on the A team to be on the A team, without any conflicts because our club is small. However, both of our feeder middle schools are the strongest 2 teams in the state, and a ton of them are coming to my school next year. That means, likely, we will have to have some form of team selection process.

How do your schools do team selections, and what are your thoughts on the best (and by that I mean fairest) strategy.
**I would like to point out that I strongly believe that any form of testing into the team should be completely merit based, (no note, so any thoughts on merit based vs non merit based testing would be appreciated as well, either to cement my idea or sway my opinion. I simply feel that those who have internalized the information are likely to do better and work harder than those that just have good notes.

well I noticed you from Washington, what school?

What we generally do is go based off previous years results in events that have carried over from the previous year, and see if they are consistently good or just had a one off competition. Also, with the first competition being Aviation in Washington, we try to set up varsity and jv as well as possible, but let the results show who really studied and prepared. Also, something I want to implement starting next year, is tryouts for events, especially pure studies, so we don't have a diamond in the rough competitor who never got a real shot bc their partner was unable to carry their own weight

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 10th, 2019, 9:59 am

Rossyspsce wrote:

What we generally do is go based off previous years results in events that have carried over from the previous year, and see if they are consistently good or just had a one off competition. Also, with the first competition being Aviation in Washington, we try to set up varsity and jv as well as possible, but let the results show who really studied and prepared. Also, something I want to implement starting next year, is tryouts for events, especially pure studies, so we don't have a diamond in the rough competitor who never got a real shot bc their partner was unable to carry their own weight

I'm from Redmond High School, you may not have heard of us because we are new to the SciOly scene, but we've done well in Science Bowl.

The problem with that is that our current team is 10 freshman and 5 juniors, and we have a huge influx of smart little freshmen next year, so we don't necessarily have past results to base it upon.

However, perhaps if we can get signed up for a really early invitational, that could work, but that doesn't allow everyone to test for the subjects they want to.
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)

Rossyspsce
State: -

Postby Rossyspsce » April 10th, 2019, 10:45 am

Arpitr20 wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:

I'm from Redmond High School, you may not have heard of us because we are new to the SciOly scene, but we've done well in Science Bowl.

The problem with that is that our current team is 10 freshman and 5 juniors, and we have a huge influx of smart little freshmen next year, so we don't necessarily have past results to base it upon.

However, perhaps if we can get signed up for a really early invitational, that could work, but that doesn't allow everyone to test for the subjects they want to.

Ahh I see, my prediction is that they or skyridge will end up going to nationals this year, with evergreen losing all their 8/9th graders and changing coaches, with northshore in the top 3

Name
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Name » April 10th, 2019, 12:31 pm

We do a tryout system with testing for each individual study event (or any event with a test portion), with the test following the rules of the rule manual.
We've always allowed whoever's competing to use whatever the rule manual has allowed for the year. I feel this is much better then not allowing notes.
You have your notes in a actual compitition, and a tryout system should find who will do the best in a actual compitition, so it should simulate a compitition as much as possible.
Some stuff is almost impossible to know without notes- good luck with any IDs and very specific questions about the IDs. That makes the test more of a guessing game- like scio isn't already a guessing game.
Good notes are a necessity for a actual compitition- allowing them would make sure good notes are actually made, and not made the day before the compitition.
SW 16-17 Syosset 18-21. Previous main events: Microbe, Invasive, Herp, Matsci, Fermi
Hoping to do Astro, Code, Ornith, and maybe Compound next year
2018-19 highlights
mit- 1st code, 3rd fermi
cornell- 1st fermi
states- 1st fermi, 3rd astro, 3rd code
19 medals

MTV<=>Operator

Postby MTV<=>Operator » April 10th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Name wrote:

We do a tryout system with testing for each individual study event (or any event with a test portion), with the test following the rules of the rule manual.
We've always allowed whoever's competing to use whatever the rule manual has allowed for the year. I feel this is much better then not allowing notes.
You have your notes in a actual compitition, and a tryout system should find who will do the best in a actual compitition, so it should simulate a compitition as much as possible.
Some stuff is almost impossible to know without notes- good luck with any IDs and very specific questions about the IDs. That makes the test more of a guessing game- like scio isn't already a guessing game.
Good notes are a necessity for a actual compitition- allowing them would make sure good notes are actually made, and not made the day before the compitition.

My school does something similar to this, we hold a separate test for each event. These are composed of questions from actual tests, but they are not full length and each one lasts 20 minutes. Everyone is allowed the resources they would normally be allowed in actual competition based on the rules. For build events, everyone trying out has to submit blueprints which our build coordinator and the engineering teacher at my school look over. There is also a basic test on the rules for the build events. Last year there was a physical build test in which people trying out had to build a cube of specified dimensions from balsa wood sticks. However, we decided to remove this because it had more of a focus on structural events rather than all build events. In most cases, people that were on the A team the previous year, especially those that performed well, are given priority to get on the A team once again because they have already experienced higher level competition. (They still have to take the tests like everyone else)
THHS Builder
2017-2018
Regionals/ best score
MTV - 13/ 50
Towers - 20/ 1000
Hovercraft - 23/ ---

2018-2019
Regionals/ Yale/ States/ best score
MTV - 9/ 30 (tiered)/ 22 ( failure)/ 18
Boomi - 3/ 20/ -- /1400
WS - 23/ 17/ 21/ 3:10

jinhusong
State: CA

Postby jinhusong » April 10th, 2019, 10:23 pm

We have 3 teams, with Blue has most of best students.
We have mocking competition to select new comer. Besides previous medals, we also check attendance of Saturday school to decide who get into Blue team.

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 11th, 2019, 8:21 am

jinhusong wrote:We have 3 teams, with Blue has most of best students.
We have mocking competition to select new comer. Besides previous medals, we also check attendance of Saturday school to decide who get into Blue team.

You mentioned a Saturday school, is this like a club meeting or an optional school day or a 3rd party organization that prepares you for scioly
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 11th, 2019, 8:23 am

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
Name wrote:

My school does something similar to this, we hold a separate test for each event. These are composed of questions from actual tests, but they are not full length and each one lasts 20 minutes. Everyone is allowed the resources they would normally be allowed in actual competition based on the rules. For build events, everyone trying out has to submit blueprints which our build coordinator and the engineering teacher at my school look over. There is also a basic test on the rules for the build events. Last year there was a physical build test in which people trying out had to build a cube of specified dimensions from balsa wood sticks. However, we decided to remove this because it had more of a focus on structural events rather than all build events. In most cases, people that were on the A team the previous year, especially those that performed well, are given priority to get on the A team once again because they have already experienced higher level competition. (They still have to take the tests like everyone else)

Hmm... and does your teacher make the questions? My schools teachers arent super invested and so any form of test taking would likely have to be made by the students or exist online... I would be willing to out together the tests but I dont want to exempt myself from the test-taking process.

What are your thoughts on allowing notes for the tests?
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)

Name

Postby Name » April 11th, 2019, 8:40 am

Arpitr20 wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
Name wrote:We do a tryout system with testing for each individual study event (or any event with a test portion), with the test following the rules of the rule manual.

Hmm... and does your teacher make the questions? My schools teachers arent super invested and so any form of test taking would likely have to be made by the students or exist online... I would be willing to out together the tests but I dont want to exempt myself from the test-taking process.

Alumni write the tests for us although this isn't feasible for a new team. There's a captains test exchange that could be used for tryouts. I think allowing notes would be better then not doing so.
SW 16-17 Syosset 18-21. Previous main events: Microbe, Invasive, Herp, Matsci, Fermi
Hoping to do Astro, Code, Ornith, and maybe Compound next year
2018-19 highlights
mit- 1st code, 3rd fermi
cornell- 1st fermi
states- 1st fermi, 3rd astro, 3rd code
19 medals

jinhusong

Postby jinhusong » April 11th, 2019, 10:49 am

Arpitr20 wrote:

You mentioned a Saturday school, is this like a club meeting or an optional school day or a 3rd party organization that prepares you for scioly

It is like club meeting. 9:00AM-1:00PM. One teacher will be there so we can use the classroom. Sign-in, sign-out, so teacher can also get a little compensation. Captains will divide the time to different event groups.

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 11th, 2019, 10:56 am

jinhusong wrote:
Arpitr20 wrote:

It is like club meeting. 9:00AM-1:00PM. One teacher will be there so we can use the classroom. Sign-in, sign-out, so teacher can also get a little compensation. Captains will divide the time to different event groups.

Aish we need a motivated club advisor like that
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 11th, 2019, 10:57 am

Name wrote:
Arpitr20 wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:

Alumni write the tests for us although this isn't feasible for a new team. There's a captains test exchange that could be used for tryouts. I think allowing notes would be better then not doing so.

Hmm, how can I join the captain's test exchange?
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)

HuskyLove

Postby HuskyLove » April 12th, 2019, 11:39 pm

For our school, we have the students trying out sign up for what events they want, but we don't have build event tryouts. Any lab portions are also eliminated.
However, here's two aspects where I think our school might differ:
1. Tests are written by A-team students. This is because in our team, anyone who was on A-team this year does not need to try out again next year. However, people on B-team do have to re-tryout. Which brings me to my second point.
2. Students are not allowed to use cheat sheets, binders, etc. In fact, some events don't even allow calculators on tryouts. I'm not entirely sure why, but my thinking was this: three middle schools funnel into our high school, but only one of them has a Science Olympiad team, and it's a pretty decent one too. In addition, you have old members trying out again. These people likely already have access to notes and materials, and if we allowed them to bring in these notes they already have while everybody else has to make their own, that would be an extremely unfair advantage.
Dana MS '17 --- Arcadia HS '21

Events I've Taken (Past and Present):
B: Bio-Process Lab, Fossils, R&M, Food Science, Optics, Invasive Species
C: Forensics, Towers, R&M, Fossils, Write It Do It, Designer Genes, Sounds of Music

19alekb
Division: B
State: IL

Postby 19alekb » April 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm

what my team does is have a general knowledge test and then a test based off a big packet or text book that you are given. the study test is worth more than the general knowledge test. it works pretty well because it shows who is going to work hard.

Return to “General Chat”