Team resources

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Arpitr20

Team resources

Postby Arpitr20 » April 10th, 2019, 8:32 am

Hello!

So I (and my team) have worked very hard this year and have compiled a Google drive filled with a lot of resources such as notes and tests for various different events. Our plan was to have this drive keep filling up with information and share it with the future science olympiad people at our school. However, next year, it is likely that we will have more than just 1 serious team at our school, and the members of ou team this year may be split over 2 teams (none of us are seniors). Now, do we just share the resources with both teams, or do we allow those that worked hard to make the notes for their events take their notes back and prevent the other team from using them. I dont think it's fair to stop someone if they pull their notes, but I feel it's better for our school achievement and success if we shared the resources with everybody, how so you suggest I convince people to relinquish their notes to the communal resources.
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/

SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Team resources

Postby SPP SciO » April 10th, 2019, 11:23 am

Arpitr20 wrote:Hello!

So I (and my team) have worked very hard this year and have compiled a Google drive filled with a lot of resources such as notes and tests for various different events. Our plan was to have this drive keep filling up with information and share it with the future science olympiad people at our school. However, next year, it is likely that we will have more than just 1 serious team at our school, and the members of ou team this year may be split over 2 teams (none of us are seniors). Now, do we just share the resources with both teams, or do we allow those that worked hard to make the notes for their events take their notes back and prevent the other team from using them. I dont think it's fair to stop someone if they pull their notes, but I feel it's better for our school achievement and success if we shared the resources with everybody, how so you suggest I convince people to relinquish their notes to the communal resources.

I can understand keeping resources private from other schools, since this is a competition, and the right resources can provide a competitive edge. But within a school, teams A & B should absolutely be sharing everything. With materials, especially expensive ones, I can understand wanting to keep something private (i.e., don't let the 6th graders touch my bottle of super glue). But anything digital should be free to access and use.

I'll also grant that there's a difference between tests, worksheets and videos pulled from the internet, and "homemade" resources. A note sheet or a binder that a student created is that student's intellectual property, for sure. They're certainly not obligated to share it. But, if a kid on my team had that attitude, I'd really want to get to the bottom of their insecurity. Are they afraid that another kid is going to "steal" the material, and use it to outperform them on a try-out exam? Almost impossible to out-do the original author, in my experience. Are they afraid that the information is going to leak to other schools? Maybe they just think "it's not that good" and are embarrassed to face possible criticism. Whatever the case - it's anti-social behavior, which is toxic to team building. The "one school, one team" philosophy is the only one that makes sense to me (regardless of how many 15-person units your school registers).
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Name
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Name » April 10th, 2019, 12:21 pm

SPP SciO wrote:

I can understand keeping resources private from other schools, since this is a competition, and the right resources can provide a competitive edge. But within a school, teams A & B should absolutely be sharing everything. With materials, especially expensive ones, I can understand wanting to keep something private (i.e., don't let the 6th graders touch my bottle of super glue). But anything digital should be free to access and use.

I'll also grant that there's a difference between tests, worksheets and videos pulled from the internet, and "homemade" resources. A note sheet or a binder that a student created is that student's intellectual property, for sure. They're certainly not obligated to share it. But, if a kid on my team had that attitude, I'd really want to get to the bottom of their insecurity. Are they afraid that another kid is going to "steal" the material, and use it to outperform them on a try-out exam? Almost impossible to out-do the original author, in my experience. Are they afraid that the information is going to leak to other schools? Maybe they just think "it's not that good" and are embarrassed to face possible criticism. Whatever the case - it's anti-social behavior, which is toxic to team building. The "one school, one team" philosophy is the only one that makes sense to me (regardless of how many 15-person units your school registers).

There's also the possibility that when people get notes or other materials from another team, they think they can just get away with using their notes without putting any effort into the event. Then a compitition comes and because they didn't study they'll do worse then if notes weren't shared with them (I'm speaking from personal experience, another team made the binder, I didn't put in the effort, and it didn't end well).

I don't think notes should be shared prior to tryouts- people should prove that they know what they're doing and are willing to put in the effort in order to make the event, and not that a teammate shared some notes with them.

As for between teams after tryouts, not sharing notes could get whoever's on another team to actually put in the effort and make their own notes. On the other hand sharing your notes could really benefit them. It depends on situation.

As for other materials such as tests- absolutely share them. Your trying to maximize the success of your school- screwing over a second team that's the future of your club doesn't help.
South Woods MS (5 medals)/Syosset HS (24 medals)
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Next Year: Astro, Code, hopefully Orni, and maybe Compound
2018-19 highlights
mit- 1st code, 3rd fermi
cornell- 1st fermi
states- 1st fermi, 3rd astro, 3rd code
19 medals

Arpitr20

Postby Arpitr20 » April 11th, 2019, 10:59 am

Name wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:

There's also the possibility that when people get notes or other materials from another team, they think they can just get away with using their notes without putting any effort into the event. Then a compitition comes and because they didn't study they'll do worse then if notes weren't shared with them (I'm speaking from personal experience, another team made the binder, I didn't put in the effort, and it didn't end well).

I don't think notes should be shared prior to tryouts- people should prove that they know what they're doing and are willing to put in the effort in order to make the event, and not that a teammate shared some notes with them.

As for between teams after tryouts, not sharing notes could get whoever's on another team to actually put in the effort and make their own notes. On the other hand sharing your notes could really benefit them. It depends on situation.

As for other materials such as tests- absolutely share them. Your trying to maximize the success of your school- screwing over a second team that's the future of your club doesn't help.

Cool, that makes a lot of sense, thanks!
Arpitr20 placings (WA)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/

Return to “General Chat”