Tax Exemptions?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Tax Exemptions?

Post by JoeyC »

Would SciOly clubs, by extension of the parent organization, count as 501c3 organizations? I shouldn't think so, correct?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Tax Exemptions?

Post by CookiePie1 »

I know that many scioly teams here in NJ actually are 501c3s. We aren't, but we were trying to apply for grants from different companies, but most of them required you to be a 501c3. Our robotics team is, so I guess if they are then scioly teams might fall under the same category? I don't rly know how a lot of this works lol.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SOnerd »

I think it depends on how each team runs their finances. We have an account through the school, and we never have to pay tax on anything. Whenever we pay for something, our school bookkeeper needs have to have a W9 from that vendor (but I'm not sure if that W9 is associated with tax exemption at all).

If you did something different, like used an external bank to run your finances in an account that wasn't associated with your school, then I'm not sure what the status would be.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

JoeyC wrote:Would SciOly clubs, by extension of the parent organization, count as 501c3 organizations? I shouldn't think so, correct?
I'll start this with a disclaimer that I am not a tax law expert, but here is my general understanding:

Individual teams are not considered extensions of the national organization. They register with the national organization in exchange for being allowed to compete and use copyrighted materials. Most teams operate their finances through their school districts, which are treated as tax exempt. If you are organized separately from your district, you would need to register with the IRS to be considered a 501c3.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Competition”