Scioly Summer Study Session 2019

voisinet22
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2019

Post by voisinet22 »

Sorry if I'm repeating already asked questions, but I've never heard of the SSSS before now and I was curious about how it worked. So if I understood correctly, people make rules or tests for upcoming events and they are then reviewed and submitted and eventually released publicly.
Are the notes tips to help someone get started in an event or is it more of how-to instructions and deeper info about the event, and when/who are the notes and tests released to?
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

voisinet22 wrote:Sorry if I'm repeating already asked questions, but I've never heard of the SSSS before now and I was curious about how it worked. So if I understood correctly, people make rules or tests for upcoming events and they are then reviewed and submitted and eventually released publicly.
Are the notes tips to help someone get started in an event or is it more of how-to instructions and deeper info about the event, and when/who are the notes and tests released to?
not rules; rules are made by soinc
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

hmmm wrote:
voisinet22 wrote:Sorry if I'm repeating already asked questions, but I've never heard of the SSSS before now and I was curious about how it worked. So if I understood correctly, people make rules or tests for upcoming events and they are then reviewed and submitted and eventually released publicly.
From what I understand, only those who have submitted something will be able to see other submissions while SSSS is ongoing, then at the end of the summer, the submissions are made public on scioly (excluding ones written by people who wanted them to be private). I don't think that the resources are necessarily targeted towards either people new to the event or people who are going further in depth, it's just up to whoever makes them.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

wec01 wrote:
hmmm wrote:
From what I understand, only those who have submitted something will be able to see other submissions while SSSS is ongoing, then at the end of the summer, the submissions are made public on scioly (excluding ones written by people who wanted them to be private). I don't think that the resources are necessarily targeted towards either people new to the event or people who are going further in depth, it's just up to whoever makes them.
voisinet, welcome to SSSS!!!

The responses are mostly accurate (rules are made by soinc, but rules are not released until Fall, resources don't have to be released, etc). Just to reiterate the point of SSSS: really, it's target is pretty much just anyone involved with Science Olympiad. It's more just to build on the existing community, share resources, and help you figure out (or help others figure out) what they wanna do in scioly. It's meant for figuring out whatever helps you most whether that may be learning some of the background design principles for a certain build, notes for an event you haven't tried, or a test for an event you know well and want to dig deeper into.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
neuro

Post by neuro »

Are any of the moderators currently looking over my test?
Thank you
Troy SciOly 18' - 20'
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

neuro wrote:Are any of the moderators currently looking over my test?
Thank you
The mod has seen it and is working on it. Still got a few more days to work on it.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
samuel.barlow003
State: UT

Post by samuel.barlow003 »

Roughly how long does it take for a mod to get back to you?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

samuel.barlow003 wrote:Roughly how long does it take for a mod to get back to you?
It should take like 6 to 7 days at most, though a few mods have been consistently late because reasons, and I've been trying to bug them about it.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

An update on submissions! I figured might as well put together what events have / haven't been submitted. There's obviously no requirement for submitting for events nobody is doing, sometimes people just ask us about this.

Events with significantly more submissions (like 7+): A&P, Circuit Lab, Code Busters, Fossils, Heredity (like 5 or 6 now)
Others Submitted (like <4): Astro, Crime Busters, Density Lab , Chemistry Lab, Designer Genes, DyPlan, ExpD, Food Sci, Forensics, Game On, Geomaps, Gravity Vehicle, Machines, Mousetrap Vehicle, Orni (might be 5?), Road Scholar, Protein Modeling, Water Quality, Sounds of Music, Write It Do It
Nobody Submitted: Boomi, ELG, Detector Building, Meteorology, Mission Possible, Ping Pong Parachute, Reach for the Stars, Wright Stuff

So yeah, we've gotten quite a few and more are still rolling in. Keep it up!
sciolybuilds
State: FL

Post by sciolybuilds »

CookiePie1 wrote:Hey, so I submitted a circuit lab test, but I'm in China right now and my vpn isn't connecting :cry: which means I can't access my email. When you check it, is it possible to pm me on the forums? or does that not work?

Edit: I just went on gmail and it works, sorry about that lol
Another edit: Gmail doesn't work anymore. I'm going crazy
Hey have you submitted your circuit lab test yet? I was interested in checking out your test.

Return to “SSSS & SEC”