Rocks & Minerals (kind of)

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
ESBoi123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rocks & Minerals (kind of)

Post by ESBoi123 »

Okay so I need to study and be able to identify random rocks and minerals that are placed in front of me. I get 15 seconds to examine each rock and mineral, and all I get is a streak plate.
How do you recommend I best study for this?
(Formerly Arpitr20)
2019 (regional/state)
Astronomy: 5/12
Chem Lab: 1/1
Dynamic Planet: 2/2
GeoLogic Mapping: 5/5
Circuit Lab: 3/4
Code Busters: -/8
Things2do
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Rocks & Minerals (kind of)

Post by Things2do »

ESBoi123 wrote:Okay so I need to study and be able to identify random rocks and minerals that are placed in front of me. I get 15 seconds to examine each rock and mineral, and all I get is a streak plate.
I'd start by reading a field guide, studying the pictures as you read about the rock/mineral.

That's what I'd do. I have no clue what you should do. That depends on how effectively you learn from reading, and how your brain does at retrieving related bits of information, among other things...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

ESBoi123 wrote:Okay so I need to study and be able to identify random rocks and minerals that are placed in front of me. I get 15 seconds to examine each rock and mineral, and all I get is a streak plate.
I wouldn't use streak at all, tbh. I'd recommend looking at and feeling a lot of rocks and minerals, because after a while (and I'm not sure if this is just me but it works) you can kind of feel the density by shaking your hand up and down and feeling the pressure of the specimen. That really helps, often times eliminating less dense possibilities. Also, a lot of specimens feel different, and by interacting with them a lot you kinda develop a sense of touch.

Finally, even though people say you shouldn't rely on them, generic pictures on the internet are usually what specimens at low-level competitions will resemble.

Use my Quizlet!
ESBoi123

Post by ESBoi123 »

dxu46 wrote:
I wouldn't use streak at all, tbh. I'd recommend looking at and feeling a lot of rocks and minerals, because after a while (and I'm not sure if this is just me but it works) you can kind of feel the density by shaking your hand up and down and feeling the pressure of the specimen. That really helps, often times eliminating less dense possibilities. Also, a lot of specimens feel different, and by interacting with them a lot you kinda develop a sense of touch.

Finally, even though people say you shouldn't rely on them, generic pictures on the internet are usually what specimens at low-level competitions will resemble.

Use my Quizlet!
danke this is a very good and very useful. Time to cram it all in one day (cause thats all the time I've got)
(Formerly Arpitr20)
2019 (regional/state)
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Just link your mind with mine and you'll be good ;)
I wrote the test you will be taking you have more than 15 sec
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
ESBoi123

Post by ESBoi123 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Lmao well that's helpful. Lemme just quickly build a telepathy device and I shld be good to go
(Formerly Arpitr20)
2019 (regional/state)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

ESBoi123 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Lmao well that's helpful. Lemme just quickly build a telepathy device and I shld be good to go
I recommend a Vulcan mind meld for best results

Return to “General Competition”