robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Politics

Post by robotman » December 27th, 2010, 7:33 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:Well, they aren't there because NK is threatening SK... they've been there since the end of the Korean War, and have remained there, because we have this mentality from the cold war that NK is actually a threat. They aren't. And 28,500 troops aren't going to do much of anything since both North and South Korea have 5 million man reserves and a large number of soldiers on active duty.
well the effectiveness of the US troops mainly depends on if NK has updated its strategies since the korean war. if they where to follow a doctorine similar to what the chinese did (which is to send waves of untrained troops agaisnt a well trained and well fortified area) 28500 troops is decentally effective. Also those 28500 troops would have support from (I believe based of a quick search) two carrier battle groups. so yea i think the troops would be decently effective is deterrent or as combat units
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA
Been thanked: 0

Post by zyzzyva980 » December 27th, 2010, 8:04 pm

I'd say the 28,500 troops are completely unnecessary. Why?

A. They don't need to be there as a deterrent. NK is smart enough to know that if they attack SK, they will likely get attacked
B. Like I said before, South Korea has a five million man reserve army well trained ready to be called to battle in hours. South Korea also has a much stronger economy and more modern weapons, making them several times stronger than NK. In a conventional battle, even without the U.S. South Korea can easily crush the North. So why are we there?
C. If North Korea decides to pull out its (somewhat wimpy) nuclear arsenal, 28,500 Americans and their families die just so we can play a part in the war. 28,500 Americans don't have to die to go to war with North Korea. It's foolish to leave them there.
D. In addition, many American soldiers have committed various crimes, including various prostitution rings made specifically for our soldiers' enjoyment. The Americans get away free due to the SOFA agreement.
E. This has made the younger generation anti-american, and while the older generation may still maintain that cold war mentality, the younger generation is the future and we want to remain allies, not become enemies.
F. We should respect another country's wishes and leave. We will be viewed by the international community better for it.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » December 28th, 2010, 9:40 am

Kroll wrote:You feel incorrectly. I was not ignoring you, but now I am. Someday you shall see the flaws of your ways. But for now:

Goodbye it is time for me to go. I am glad that we all agree that I am correct. It was nice talking with you. I hope to see you again in the future.
On the off chance you see this...

You are in middle school. There are many things you don't understand. One of them happens to be that you are not always right. Someday, maybe you can wander outside the little bubble you are hiding yourself in and see how the world really works.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

EpicFailOlympian
State: MO

Post by EpicFailOlympian » December 28th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Kroll wrote:You feel incorrectly. I was not ignoring you, but now I am. Someday you shall see the flaws of your ways. But for now:

Goodbye it is time for me to go. I am glad that we all agree that I am correct. It was nice talking with you. I hope to see you again in the future.
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator

drstrangelove24
Division: B
State: KS

Post by drstrangelove24 » January 14th, 2011, 11:37 am

zyzzyva98 wrote:I'd say the 28,500 troops are completely unnecessary. Why?

A. They don't need to be there as a deterrent. NK is smart enough to know that if they attack SK, they will likely get attacked
B. Like I said before, South Korea has a five million man reserve army well trained ready to be called to battle in hours. South Korea also has a much stronger economy and more modern weapons, making them several times stronger than NK. In a conventional battle, even without the U.S. South Korea can easily crush the North. So why are we there?
C. If North Korea decides to pull out its (somewhat wimpy) nuclear arsenal, 28,500 Americans and their families die just so we can play a part in the war. 28,500 Americans don't have to die to go to war with North Korea. It's foolish to leave them there.
D. In addition, many American soldiers have committed various crimes, including various prostitution rings made specifically for our soldiers' enjoyment. The Americans get away free due to the SOFA agreement.
E. This has made the younger generation anti-american, and while the older generation may still maintain that cold war mentality, the younger generation is the future and we want to remain allies, not become enemies.
F. We should respect another country's wishes and leave. We will be viewed by the international community better for it.
Well Here I sort of do agree that that many troops is pretty unessicary. Now while their endless threats do annoy me and we are sure they have WMDs. Honestly, them claiming that they will nuke us is ridiculous. They are a five year old in a bar threatening to throw a rock. On top of this almost ALL OF THE COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD HATE NORTH KOREA. Except for China... But even China is a little: "Ehhh, North Korea You crazy...."
ZOMGLOLROFL

Jocool
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Jocool » March 1st, 2011, 1:49 pm

I don't think that our troops are necessary because they won't do much against their competing armies. They would just be extra lives lost. And we don't need to maintain bases there.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 » March 14th, 2011, 9:05 am

Hey guys, first of alll, I am just glad that someone my age other other than me cares about politics.

what about the issue that most americans are concerned about right now -spending, the deficit, and the economy-

first off, the stimulis and so called "jobs" bills. I believe that they are a total waste of money, made obvious by the countless stories that have surfaced about so-called bridges to nowhere, and countless other wasteful projects. the jobs that are created often cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per job to create. In addition, since the money is handed out by the government they pick the winners and losers (the winners -- their special interest groups; the losers -- taxpayers and small businesses who may have better ideas and more potential, but instead have to foot the bill of the politicians' pet projects). the best thing that government can do to create jobs, particularly on small businesses, and although its not popular to say it, the rich, because they are the ones who run small businesses and ultimately create jobs.
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

penelope
State: TN

Post by penelope » March 21st, 2011, 2:14 pm

amerikestrel wrote:
blue cobra wrote: So now to clarify, I don't deny that the Earth is literally warming. I just don't think it is significant. And cap and trade is a complete scam.
For one thing, the earth has warmed more than "a few tenths of a degree" since 1850. In the last 40 years alone, there has been a change of about .3 to .4 of a degree (Celsius).

Another thing you need to take into account is that global warming is going to have an effect on us, whether it's caused by man or by nature. Rising temperatures, rising sea levels, and other negative results of climate change are going to have much more of an impact on humans now, in the 21th century, than it would have a few hundred thousand years ago. ;) Personally, I think that there is sufficient evidence to say that the current global warming is caused, or at least aided by rising levels of CO2, so if we try to control the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere it will significantly slow climate change.

Edit: Also, why is cap and trade a scam? True, maybe it's not very effective, but that doesn't mean it's a scam... :?:
Just to investigate your opinion, what negative effects do you think it will have and why do you think it's more of a big deal than it was before?
The earth is warming significantly. It is a fact. But 40-50 years ago, everyone thought there was going to be another Ice Age. There is evidence that it will affect our lives. But the way I see it, the earth goes through cycles. I may be wrong. Maybe it is a big deal. But that's just my opinion. I haven't researched this significantly, so correct me if I'm wrong.
"If my knowledge of mechanical engineering serves me right, applying significant rotational torque to achieve maximum velocity will yield a positive result!"
"Y'mean something good might happen if I get the wheel to spin fast enough?"
"Isn't that what I just said?"

zombiekid123
State: IL

Post by zombiekid123 » March 21st, 2011, 2:42 pm

yah thats good. but expensive and gross. i wouldnt wanna be the one to be looking at a hobos bunyons. they smell like vinegar. i would at least wanna be paid. :twisted:

rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 » March 26th, 2011, 6:26 pm

penelope wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:
blue cobra wrote: So now to clarify, I don't deny that the Earth is literally warming. I just don't think it is significant. And cap and trade is a complete scam.
For one thing, the earth has warmed more than "a few tenths of a degree" since 1850. In the last 40 years alone, there has been a change of about .3 to .4 of a degree (Celsius).

Another thing you need to take into account is that global warming is going to have an effect on us, whether it's caused by man or by nature. Rising temperatures, rising sea levels, and other negative results of climate change are going to have much more of an impact on humans now, in the 21th century, than it would have a few hundred thousand years ago. ;) Personally, I think that there is sufficient evidence to say that the current global warming is caused, or at least aided by rising levels of CO2, so if we try to control the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere it will significantly slow climate change.

Edit: Also, why is cap and trade a scam? True, maybe it's not very effective, but that doesn't mean it's a scam... :?:
Just to investigate your opinion, what negative effects do you think it will have and why do you think it's more of a big deal than it was before?
The earth is warming significantly. It is a fact. But 40-50 years ago, everyone thought there was going to be another Ice Age. There is evidence that it will affect our lives. But the way I see it, the earth goes through cycles. I may be wrong. Maybe it is a big deal. But that's just my opinion. I haven't researched this significantly, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello, have you watched the news in the last year? all of the stuff about purposely misleading graphs and "lead global warming scientist admits there has been no global warming since 1995"
Read this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nised.html
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Chat”