hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Personality Type

Post by hscmom »

ISTJ here. So's my husband of 25 years. But we're really different too... And I agree, not a scientific test but maybe a way to help understand how you navigate through life. If I don't "get" someone, it's probably because he or she approaches things differently than I do. Being a bone-head, it's taken me a little too long in life to realize that there are many valid and successful ways to live this life and relate to others and to do what work you have to do. Sometimes I just stand in awe at someone who is wired much differently than I am easily tackle a problem that baffles me.

And it's nice we're not all the same...
49ers wrote:introvert means you like to avoid large social gatherings, and parties etc. right?
No, introverts don't always like to avoid large social gatherings and parties etc... While some introverts do avoid gatherings, not all do. I really do enjoy certain get-togethers with certain people, but those events tend to drain me. I need my "me" time alone (or at most with one other "safe" person) to think and recharge. Extroverts get charged up by groups and gatherings and such and introverts need to get charged up before and after such gatherings. Our team has an end of year party his weekend. It will surely be fun and I'm looking forward to it a lot. When I get home from it, I'll hide out alone in my room for a bit or take a nap.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
OF
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OF »

I'm yet another INTJ.
Go Churchill!
2013 Nationals Events Results:
Sounds of Music: 5th
Experimental Design: 8th
Mission Possible: 10th
Keep the heat: 14th
Hosj
Division: C
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

Flavorflav wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but since this is a science site I feel I should point out that the MBTI is not a scientific test, being based on categories that Jung just made up. People usually agree with the decriptions in the MBTI, but that's mostly just the Forer effect - it isn't really a good measure of validity. Scientific tests are derived by factor analysis, and the field has more or less coalesced around the Big Five.
The problem is that the MBTI does not say one type is better than another. Whereas with the big five no one wants to be unagreable or neurotic. There is a simple good/bad, which strikes me as a wierd wa of explaining human behavior.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Hosj wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but since this is a science site I feel I should point out that the MBTI is not a scientific test, being based on categories that Jung just made up. People usually agree with the decriptions in the MBTI, but that's mostly just the Forer effect - it isn't really a good measure of validity. Scientific tests are derived by factor analysis, and the field has more or less coalesced around the Big Five.
The problem is that the MBTI does not say one type is better than another. Whereas with the big five no one wants to be unagreable or neurotic. There is a simple good/bad, which strikes me as a wierd wa of explaining human behavior.
Which is why the MBTI is more popular than the Big Five - everybody gets a description that they can feel good about. It doesn't have the same kind of empirical validation as the Big Five, though - it seems that sometimes reality is weird.
Hosj
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

Flavorflav wrote:
Hosj wrote:
Which is why the MBTI is more popular than the Big Five - everybody gets a description that they can feel good about. It doesn't have the same kind of empirical validation as the Big Five, though - it seems that sometimes reality is weird.
And it is also more difficult to talk about. I can say I am an INFJ, but I can't really explain how my big 5 scores interconnect.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
aim4me26

Post by aim4me26 »

aim4me26 wrote:I got ENFJ

Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(38%) iNtuitive Feeling(50%) Judging(78%)

You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (1%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)
You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)
so i retook it because i had to for a class
and i got the same thing, it's just that the percentages are a bit different now :S

ENFJ
Extravert(11%) iNtuitive(12%) Feeling(62%) Judging(22%)
You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (11%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have distinct preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance
vennowsah

Post by vennowsah »

I got INTP

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(62%) Thinking(88%) Perceiving(11%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
You have distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (88%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I got mostly what I thought I would get:

INTP (44:50:50:11)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
scienceswimmer4
Division: B
State: CO

Post by scienceswimmer4 »

My outcome did not surprise me.. ENTJ (100, 12, 31, 67)

I am an extremely social person who bases her actions based on intuition & thoughts.
research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
---
2013 { heredity/food science/widi } *regionals, states*
2014 { heredity/heli/widi } *regionals, states, nationals*
2015 { gliders/bio-process lab/green gen/pic this }
---
nationals results ~ 12th in heredity, 18th in widi
zerasaw
State: OH

Post by zerasaw »

E/I (borderline)
NTJ
Life List: 373 (last Common Redpoll, Lorain Impoundment, Lorain County, OH)
Bird I Desperately Want to See: Eastern Whip-poor-will

Return to “General Chat”