Grads, what are you guys up to?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
dunkleosteusly
Division: Grad
State: OH

Grads, what are you guys up to?

Postby dunkleosteusly » August 12th, 2011, 1:51 am

Hi guys - I apologize if there's already a similar thread to this one buried a few pages back.

Anyway, I recently graduated from high school/Science Olympiad and I'm wondering what other graduates have been doing - whether they've been out for only a year or two, or if Science Olympiad seemed like something from the Jurassic period. Where are you going (or where did you go) to college? What are you/did you major in? Life plans? Any current ties to SO?

For me: I will be attending Cornell University in the fall, with plans to double major in Biology (concentration: Ecology & Evolution) and Science of Earth Systems (concentration: either Geological Sciences or Biogeochemistry, I have no idea). My goal right now is to become a paleontologist and teach at a university, but I acknowledge that my interests could totally change during my four years in college quite easily.

I don't think I'll be volunteering for the NY Science Olympiad since Ithaca seems a little isolated. However, I do plan on continuing to support my team back home by writing practice tests for them.

Thanks!

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: -

Re: Grads, what are you guys up to?

Postby andrewwski » August 12th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Starting my junior year at the University at Buffalo, dual majoring in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. Currently a co-op at an aerospace components company. President of our chapter of Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, currently working on several projects including a satellite competition through USAF.

Have continued to help with SO somewhat. Go in once a month or so to offer help to my old team by offering advice, etc. Can't help with everything, but try to flow down the knowledge that I can.

Was going to help with an event my freshman year at local regionals, but had an exam that day. Was scheduled to assist with an event last year for regionals, got a call the day before that one of the supervisors couldn't make it and I ended up supervising the event. Plan to stay involved as long as I can.
Please read Forum Rule #2:
2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose.

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Postby gh » August 14th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Being me.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles

If you are looking to give help or get help:
Wiki > Forum post > AJAX IRC Chat or Java IRC Chat > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the OBB Archive, and the list of Exalted User medals.

sweetcoop
State: CO

Postby sweetcoop » August 14th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Getting all packed up and ready to head of to college on Tuesday. It is a really sad process for me.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

IdahoSciGuy
State: ID

Postby IdahoSciGuy » August 15th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I volunteer for S.O. here out west, and currently I'm writing practice tests for earth science events. I head DyPlan for the state comp, and this year I also have the task of Solar system/Reach for the Stars in B.
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » August 20th, 2011, 7:05 am

I'm going into my 3rd year of college at Stony Brook University, majoring in Earth Science/Education with a dual certification in Biology at Stony Brook University. I want to teach at the jr. high or high school level. I still go back to my old school and help out, and I went with my jr. high last year to States; I was the NY state Fossil event supervisor (I found out on the bus ride up; my coach is usually the supervisor but he asked me to do it last year). When I become a teacher, I still want to be part of Science Olympiad as a coach (competing will always be more fun, though).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Blocks
State: -

Postby Blocks » August 20th, 2011, 3:52 pm

I'm one of those from the Jurassic period -- the last time I competed was 2005. Randomly logged in today.

I went to Caltech and got a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, and now I work in robotics at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. No current ties to Science Olympiad, but I did help run events a few times at the SoCal competitions when I was in college (if bearasaurus sees this, I'd be happy to help out in the future).

I really miss Bottle Rocket....

spalding458
State: IN

Postby spalding458 » August 21st, 2011, 10:47 pm

I feel old posting in this thread, I haven't been active on here in forever. Anyways, I'll be starting my first year at Rose Hulman Institute of Technology this week to double major in chemical engineering and chemistry. I'm going to enlist in the Navy and hopefully work in their nuclear program. As far as science olympiad goes, I worked at Indiana's state competition through high school, and I hope to continue to volunteer through college.

Return to “General Chat”