Study Methods

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
fanjiatian
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Study Methods

Post by fanjiatian »

What kinds of study methods work best for you all?

E.g: outlining a textbook, printing webpages, etc
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Study Methods

Post by silverheart7 »

Well, in Science Olympiad, I like to be taught by another person. I feel like hearing the information, seeing it, and maybe doing some practice questions with them, really helps me learn. I also like online quizzes, because there are so many on almost everything, and I like flashcards.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

Usually, I find myself a good textbook or two (or five) and write notes while going through them. Sometimes, I copy down whole pragraphs straight from the book. Then I also use Google to supplement the material if needed.
I usually review the notes periodically and sometimes even make flashcards. If the textbook is mine, I like to keep a highlighter handy.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

One of the best ways to study for Science Olympiad in my opinion is writing tests. It really helps to organize information for your event and gives you very valuable experience in problem solving.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Xelnyn
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Xelnyn »

I personally find it effective to read flashcards, watch videos, and get a hands on feel for the subject.

Return to “General Competition”