Starting a new SO team

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
ThePrudentGuava
Division: C
State: OK

Starting a new SO team

Postby ThePrudentGuava » December 6th, 2012, 11:03 am

It is almost 1/2 way throught the year and I was wondering about the process through which I might start a new Science Olympiad team. I asked my science teacher over the summer, bu she said that science fair occupied most of her extacurricular activity time. I will be going in division C next year so.....

Thanks!
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Starting a new SO team

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » December 6th, 2012, 12:49 pm

It seems like you're on your way. The main thing you need to do is to find an teacher that's willing to help out. Once you do that, you can register with your state, order a rulebook, and start to have meetings and work on events.

Good luck! I hope you get this worked out. It's nice to build SO programs, especially in states that don't have very many like OK. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

ThePrudentGuava

Postby ThePrudentGuava » December 6th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Yeah, I looked for teams in OK and found ,maybe, 6-7. I guess that would make it easier at state.

Or would that make it more competitive?
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders

mnstrviola
WikiMod Emeritus
WikiMod Emeritus
State: CA

Postby mnstrviola » December 6th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Yeah, I looked for teams in OK and found ,maybe, 6-7. I guess that would make it easier at state.

Or would that make it more competitive?
I think you're our first person (at least first I've seen around here) from OK, so I don't think they're /that/ competitive. There may be a team that's really experienced though, because they've been to Nats before.

Don't worry about that though, focus on getting your team together and having fun :) good luck!

ThePrudentGuava

Postby ThePrudentGuava » December 6th, 2012, 5:17 pm

I recall seeing something to where they might have gone to Nationals once or twice, but I'm not for sure. I also saw something that a team won state and didn't go to Natiols for some reason or another.

Edit- they also might be the best of a sucky population.
~Sam Anders

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » December 6th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Here's the lowdown on Science Olympiad in Oklahoma: It's a state that's beginning to develop its SO roots. They sent a team to nationals for the first time since 2006 last year in B division, and C division hasn't gone since 2008. In terms of competitiveness, I don't think it's terribly competitive, but I don't know for sure. However, it is a state that has been growing in recent years. Starting a team now and getting the experience could pay off huge dividends for the school in the future, even if you've already moved on. Teams that are established now have the opportunity to help shape the future of Oklahoma Science Olympiad. And as for your future, you probably would have a really good chance of succeeding in the future if you put a lot of effort into a high school team when you get up there.

The benefits of Science Olympiad are countless, so starting a team at your middle school would help lots of students later on. Starting a team is never easy, but if you can find the right people to help you out, it can make the process successful and a lot of fun.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

ThePrudentGuava

Postby ThePrudentGuava » December 6th, 2012, 6:10 pm

I'm actually thinking that it would be at our high school because we have a lot more clubs up there, (Robotics, FBLA, Bible study groups, etc.) Also, we have way more supportive administration. I tried to start a Chess Club and Ill just say it didn't end well.
~Sam Anders

ThePrudentGuava

Postby ThePrudentGuava » December 7th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I have a queston about funding the team. do schools support the team financially or will we have to raise money for everything? Our state comp. is a long ride away and more so is Orlando.

I have another queston regarding regionals. (sorry for all the questions) Is it like a buffed up invitationals and you go to states no matter how well you do or does it count for something?

Thanks!
~Sam Anders

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » December 7th, 2012, 3:43 pm

It really depends on the school how much funding you receive. Some schools won't give you anything, other schools will pay for much of what you need. Chances are, as a new club, you'll be looking at having to fundraise quite a bit to pay for your expenses.

As for regional competitions, in most states they do act as a qualifier for the state competition (though not necessarily more difficult than invites). I'm not sure about Oklahoma, but this would be a question for your coach (when you find one) to ask the regional or state coordinator.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

ThePrudentGuava

Postby ThePrudentGuava » December 7th, 2012, 4:18 pm

thanks!

edit- how much do the materials, manuals, etc. cost? (typically)
~Sam Anders

Return to “General Competition”