Proudest Moments

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
varunscs11
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Proudest Moments

Post by varunscs11 »

blakinator8 wrote:Getting our team from Third at State to Third at Nats in one year.
Winning 2nd in Green Gen when we thought we bombed the test
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
vennowsah
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

One of my proudest moments would have to be when I built my lyre for Sounds of Music. I had less than a month until the state competition with no engineering experience at all, but I was determined not to let down my partner. I found some templates online, researched the theories, and spent countless hours at the hardware store searching for sufficient materials. When the materials finally arrived, my coach helped my cut the wood and construct the basic shape of my lyre. The hardest part was the tuning system, as by then, I had less than two weeks to construct my own tuning mechanism, build it, and learn how to play the songs with my partner. I nearly cleared the tool shelf of materials, but I couldn't find a way for the strings to tune. I was ready to give up. Anxious thoughts flooded my mind: Would all the effort come to a waste? Would I have to end up using the broken flute from Regionals? I spent the entire day sitting in the Science Olympiad room, trying to figure out a way to attach the strings to the lyre and tune them efficiently without breaking anything. I was nearly in tears, and my partner was extremely stressed. My coach, who is an ukulele player, suggested a method that he had once used to attach ukulele strings, requiring some hex nuts and bolts. I was skeptical at first, but after some attempts and some revisions to the method (which required the tedious process of sawing notches into the hex bolts), it worked!!! I was able to place the strings within the notches, secure them with several hex nuts, and use a ratchet tool as a tuner to efficiently tune the strings to playing the note that I desired. Needless to say, I was ecstatic. Completing the lyre had truly been one of my proudest moments and it brings a constant reminder that challenges are able to be overcome. Can't wait until Sounds of Music comes into rotation again!
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
19sawickin
State: PA

Post by 19sawickin »

Having a perfect widi at our regional tournament (even tho it was really easy :D )
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

My (well, not mine, but you get the point) new proudest achievement: training a B division team to win 9th at nationals and outperform my personal best. Screw my personal achievements- those middle schoolers are awesome.
Last edited by samlan16 on December 17th, 2015, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Eggo
Division: C

Post by Eggo »

I would say my proudest moments this year were when I placed 1st at Muscatel Invitational in Anatomy, since it was the second tournament I had competed in, and the first tournament I had done Anatomy in. Also, when I vowed to get first in Disease Detectives at State, after getting second at Regionals, I worked really hard, and got 1st. However, I sort of neglected Anatomy at States and got 2nd after the 1st place I got at Regionals. XD
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
Silamoth

Post by Silamoth »

My proudest moment was getting 5th in Meteorology at State this past year because it was my first year of SciOly, and my team only placed in 3 events, mine included. I was pretty happy about actually wining something at State. My only regret is that I didn't join SciOly in 6th grade(I'm was in 8th grade last year). If I had had more experience, I probably could have won 1st in something.
2014-2015 Events: Simple Machines, Meteorology, and Bridge Building
Dohnnovan
Division: B

Post by Dohnnovan »

My proudest moment was getting my first ever medal, 1st place in towers. (Might I add I beat Churchill’s A B and C teams)
Ukiah High School '20
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

My proudest moment was when we got 2nd at states (it meant we could go to nats because top 2 go in my state). I was the only 6th grader then and I was really happy (I bombed Optics but we don't need to talk about that).
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

My proudest moment was getting 1st in all my events last year at states. We got to go to Nationals too. :D
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

My proudest moment was at first getting a gold (thank you, @Nerd_Bunny) until I got a silver (which I'm more proud of because I did about all the work). +Nationals.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “General Competition”