Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
platypusomelette
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please list college choice and related info in list form

Post by platypusomelette »

pikachu4919 wrote:Hilariously, I realize I never posted after I graduated. I'm well into Div D, but meh. It's fine.

Years in Div B: 0
Years in Div C: 4
College I've been attending: Purdue University (accepted EA)
Major/School: Biological Engineering / College of Engineering Honors Program (also have a minor in Forensic Sciences)
Also accepted to: Case Western Reserve University (EA)
Waitlisted at: None
Rejected by (sad list ahead): MIT (EA), Cornell (RA), Northwestern (RA), Johns Hopkins (RA), Rice (RA), University of Southern California (RA)

My advice would be that if you're willing to go for ED, then go for it. Sometimes I ask myself what would have happened if I did ED for Cornell instead of taking my chances at MIT EA. Also that visiting really helps with decision making - I went to the campuses of several other schools, including UPenn, Princeton, Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, Columbia, UChicago, etc. yet decided not to apply to those places after feeling like even if I got into any of them (which, based on where I got rejected by, would have been unlikely), I wouldn't be too inclined to actually accept an offer anyways. Doing that will greatly decrease the high amount of stress that you probably will experience if you apply to too many places.
What are the benefits of visiting?
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

It is my strong belief that visiting a school is the single most important thing in a college search. You are going to be spending the better part of 4 or so years at the college you choose; it needs to be a place in which you will be comfortable. Visiting allows you to get a sense for the amenities at a school, the general aesthetic of the school, and the values and social life of the student body (each school's student body has a typical "personality", which can be hard to pin down until you actually enroll but the more you get a sense of it the better). Plus, other "minor" things that will affect your everyday life, such as; what food options are there both on and off the meal plan, how easy/difficult is transportation, how far is it to walk between classes and dorms, what's it like immediately off-campus, if there is any sort of shuttle system, etc.

Academics are important, but at a certain point, the academic offerings of schools are pretty similar; what sets schools apart is seeing the day-to-day operations of a school and seeing what sorts of things each school values. If you're at a school you're comfortable at, it's a lot easier to excel. If you're not comfortable, your entire life becomes that much harder.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Visiting is really useful, I agree with east, you should try to visit a variety of uni types to see what feels right, but I wanted to clarify for anyone that it is possible to choose a school, and make an informed choice, without visiting if visiting that particular place isn't an option. If you're trying to decide between a big public school environment and a liberal arts college environment, for instance, you should visit somewhere of each type - but it's possible to discover you love a liberal arts environment via visiting a place close by and then want to attend a liberal arts college on the other side of the country, which might be too expensive to visit. Visit the colleges you can but sometimes visiting isn't possible, and you shouldn't rule a university out because you can't afford yet another flight to visit somewhere far away. (I couldn't visit Oxford before decision day but instead I emailed questions to several current students at the university, people doing my subject and friends of friends and so on, and that direct interaction with people already here was what I would've mostly gotten from visiting, I think. It just took a bit more effort and initiative.)
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
4RightReasons

Post by 4RightReasons »

Hey seniors and grads, Now that May 1st is approaching, where are you going to college? Help other SOers by listing where you applied, accepted, rejected and attending. And all that jazz. Those moving on up will be thankful you took the time. And you too grads if you haven't yet done so.
krasabnk
State: NC

Post by krasabnk »

Current HS senior
College I will attend: NC State University (accepted RD)
Major/School: Chemical Engineering intent
Rejected from Duke, Purdue (visited, really wanted to go here, relation with alumnus), UNC (visited), Georgetown (visited, legacy), and Notre Dame.
I applied for most of these schools through biochemistry or chemistry, with the exception of NC State as chem engineering as my first choice.
My SAT scores: 1420, MathII: 600, Chemistry: 640
My ACT score: 29 composite
GPA: 3.7 UW, 2 APs, Homeschooled
No real ECs except for swim team and Science Olympiad

I realized after the application due dates that I had probably set my sights too high. I also made the mistake of applying only to regular decision. Looking back, there appeared to be a better possibility for me to be accepted to more schools had I applied Early Action or Early Decision. However, I was crushed when I learned I did not get into Purdue. I am out of state, but I thought I had a serious chance after showing intense interest through visiting and connections, decent scores around their average, and family relations. A lot of my family lives in the NW Indiana area while I live in Central NC. It just goes to show how competitive some of these schools that were normally quite easy to get into for my family have become. I am fine with NC State, though I am a bit worried to get into a very competitive and tough major as someone who is not the best at math nor physics. Hopefully something can happen to me over the summer or in my first year that will change my sight in life, but for now, Science Olympiad is my main focus!
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

4RightReasons wrote:Hey seniors and grads, Now that May 1st is approaching, where are you going to college? Help other SOers by listing where you applied, accepted, rejected and attending. And all that jazz. Those moving on up will be thankful you took the time. And you too grads if you haven't yet done so.
This is clearly the same account as "standed", who revived this thread I believe twice before. Either this person cares way too much about where people go to college, or it's something more suspicious. Either way, it's very odd.

EDIT: It's possible that "gunked" is also this same person, as well as the originator for this thread, "blockhead". All are from New York. Strange the obsession over college choice.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
4RightReasons wrote:Hey seniors and grads, Now that May 1st is approaching, where are you going to college? Help other SOers by listing where you applied, accepted, rejected and attending. And all that jazz. Those moving on up will be thankful you took the time. And you too grads if you haven't yet done so.
This is clearly the same account as "standed", who revived this thread I believe twice before. Either this person cares way too much about where people go to college, or it's something more suspicious. Either way, it's very odd.

EDIT: It's possible that "gunked" is also this same person, as well as the originator for this thread, "blockhead". All are from New York. Strange the obsession over college choice.
Unless this guys been obsessed with college since like 6th grade (first post was in 2013) I highly doubt it’s the same person (although it could be some parent who really cares for some reason).
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Or maybe they are really into leveraging alumni to improve Science Olympiad :p
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

It could be data collection by some company.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

TheCrazyChemist wrote:It could be data collection by some company.
Personally i agree
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “General Chat”