Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

SciOly Superlatives 2013

Postby Kokonilly » June 7th, 2013, 4:36 pm

So, at the end of the school year, it’s a tradition for students vote on superlatives for their classmates: "most creative", "most likely to be successful", etc. Well, we do that here too! (It is officially a tradition now, though me posting it on June 9th isn’t.) There have been two in the past, for both 2011 and 2012.

First order of business: the “Biggest Nerd” category has become a small point of contention. Please vote on its fate here.

The poll will be closed Monday, June 10th at 7 PM PDT (or thereabouts)(AKA after my organic chem final), at which point nominations will open.

NOTE: I’m not accepting nominations now due to the uncertainty regarding “Biggest Nerd”.

caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY

Re: SciOly Superlatives 2013

Postby caseyotis » June 7th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Well, I voted to eliminate it altogether. I think it's ridiculous.

Littleboy
State: MI

Postby Littleboy » June 7th, 2013, 4:48 pm

We all know what winner will vote...

quizbowl

Postby quizbowl » June 7th, 2013, 4:49 pm

caseyotis wrote:Well, I voted to eliminate it altogether. I think it's ridiculous.

NERDDDDD
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS

<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

caseyotis

Postby caseyotis » June 7th, 2013, 6:20 pm

quizbowl wrote:
caseyotis wrote: Well, I voted to eliminate it altogether. I think it's ridiculous.

NERDDDDD

I mean, I'd probably be what people would refer to as nerd, seeing as I do quiz bowl questions nightly. For fun. >.< But pretty much no one on here knows that, so they probably wouldn't even consider me for that recognition.

Cedavis6
State: -

Postby Cedavis6 » June 7th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Nerd is a compliment. They are the true rulers of the world.
EDIT: But I prefer the term geek. IDK why, I just do. :|

foreverphysics
State: AL

Postby foreverphysics » June 7th, 2013, 6:28 pm

caseyotis wrote:
quizbowl wrote:
caseyotis wrote:Well, I voted to eliminate it altogether. I think it's ridiculous.

NERDDDDD

I mean, I'd probably be what people would refer to as nerd, seeing as I do quiz bowl questions nightly. For fun. >.< But pretty much no one on here knows that, so they probably wouldn't even consider me for that recognition.

A lot of people do or did that. I did that for a while...maybe three, four months? It wasn't even nightly, it was like every hour or whenever I could get my hands on a computer and had time.

I like the Biggest Nerd category. This is scioly. We need this category.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Cedavis6
State: -

Postby Cedavis6 » June 7th, 2013, 6:40 pm

*High fives forever*

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » June 7th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: Wiki & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » June 7th, 2013, 7:58 pm

When I made a snarky comment about "Biggest Nerd", I didn't actually expect it to spark any sort of poll, Koko :P While you're taking my suggestions so seriously, we should also have a "Best Dresser" category jokes

caseyotis

Postby caseyotis » June 7th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Apparently, snarky isn't a word. *facepalm*

I've always hated the word "nerd". What the pigeon does it mean? And I didn't mean to say that I should "win" that category. I certainly shouldn't. I just don't think it should exist because there are so many definitions of "nerd". It's become cliche and meaningless, but also moot.

But what am I saying; I don't even think this whole Superlatives thing should exist at all. Enjoy.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » June 7th, 2013, 8:37 pm

caseyotis wrote:I just don't think it should exist because there are so many definitions of "nerd". It's become cliche and meaningless, but also moot.

How do you define 'most helpful'? Do you measure it by the sheer volume of helpful posts a user makes or the content within them? A user with 25 posts could have been more helpful than one with a presence everywhere with 500. Additionally, suppose a user has helped you extensively but not me. Is s/he the 'most helpful'? You can play this game with any category, really, but that's straying from the point. The community is not trying to seriously determine according to some objective criteria who the 'most helpful', 'biggest nerd' or whatever category you want to discuss is. This is just a fun thing to do on the Internet of all places, so relax, bud.

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » June 8th, 2013, 11:54 am

caseyotis wrote:
quizbowl wrote:

NERDDDDD

Everyone here is a nerd. If you are a member of an Internet forum for Science Olympiad competitors, you are almost certainly a nerd.
winneratlife wrote:When I made a snarky comment about "Biggest Nerd", I didn't actually expect it to spark any sort of poll, Koko :P While you're taking my suggestions so seriously, we should also have a "Best Dresser" category jokes

Don't flatter yourself; I believe it was EAST's proposal that sparked this poll rather than your whininess about this category. :P
caseyotis wrote:I've always hated the word "nerd". What the butterfly does it mean? And I didn't mean to say that I should "win" that category. I certainly shouldn't. I just don't think it should exist because there are so many definitions of "nerd". It's become cliche and meaningless, but also moot.

But what am I saying; I don't even think this whole Superlatives thing should exist at all. Enjoy.

Also, keep in mind that categories were generated by the people two years ago. Take it up with the public, not me - I'm merely a moderator/messenger.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » June 8th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Kokonilly wrote:
winneratlife wrote:When I made a snarky comment about "Biggest Nerd", I didn't actually expect it to spark any sort of poll, Koko :P While you're taking my suggestions so seriously, we should also have a "Best Dresser" category jokes

Don't flatter yourself; I believe it was EAST's proposal that sparked this poll rather than your whininess about this category. :P

I didn't even formally propose it :P :
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
winneratlife wrote:
Littleboy wrote:Are you going to add any new categories, or just keep the existing ones?

I vote that we remove the "biggest nerd" category... or at least take it seriously this year. that means foreverphysics should win

Well, it all depends on what definition of "nerd" we're using: "socially awkward" or "painfully intellectual".

Littleboy ended up proposing the idea to split the category into two. I think it's probably a good idea, that way we can vote for two "nerd" categories instead of just one!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Littleboy

Postby Littleboy » June 8th, 2013, 12:23 pm

I proposed the option of splitting them.

Return to “General Chat”