Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Post by JoeyC »

Thermodynamics. TX State. The exam portion wasn't on thermodynamics, the beakers were allowed to cool, the water was outside the temperature range, and/or not the announced temperature...... it was one of those things where if you got lucky, you won. That cost me and my team a place.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

Source Code Trial at Solon 2018: I think that some computers were not turned on...? I just remember that it was messed up.
ethanm13

Post by ethanm13 »

This was not me but it happened to my team. At our invitational the Source Code team was really hyped up because they were super well prepared. Then, a couple minutes before competing, they found out that the hosting high school had nixed Source Code and replaced it with Game On!, the event that their team had been practicing for (and that none of the other SC teams had even looked at) so that their Game On team would have a decent chance of winning.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

ethanm13 wrote:This was not me but it happened to my team. At our invitational the Source Code team was really hyped up because they were super well prepared. Then, a couple minutes before competing, they found out that the hosting high school had nixed Source Code and replaced it with Game On!, the event that their team had been practicing for (and that none of the other SC teams had even looked at) so that their Game On team would have a decent chance of winning.
Just curious... Which invitational was this at?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

pb5754[] wrote:
ethanm13 wrote:This was not me but it happened to my team. At our invitational the Source Code team was really hyped up because they were super well prepared. Then, a couple minutes before competing, they found out that the hosting high school had nixed Source Code and replaced it with Game On!, the event that their team had been practicing for (and that none of the other SC teams had even looked at) so that their Game On team would have a decent chance of winning.
Just curious... Which invitational was this at?
Game On at least was an official event at the time tho... if this was in a state that actually replaced Game On with Source Code, then that's def poorly run but like...if not, then that's...odd to... call it poorly run.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
ethanm13

Post by ethanm13 »

Actually, in Michigan, Game On was a trial event, and only MI had Source Code
ethanm13

Post by ethanm13 »

It was at West Ottawa Invitational
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

ethanm13 wrote:Actually, in Michigan, Game On was a trial event, and only MI had Source Code
ethanm13 wrote:It was at West Ottawa Invitational
Ah. West Ottawa Invitational is in MI, but at the same time, for one, you can't necessarily say they ran it because their team was prepared for it unless you have hard facts on what actually happened. If that change truly wasn't communicated that far in advance, that is not good on their part. If it was announced a while in advance before the tournament, then it would be on the teams who didn't know because in my honest opinion, attending teams should be checking for tournament updates very frequently to avoid miscommunications at all. But another thing: even if they did really well while everyone else failed (which could give you reason to believe what you thought) and even if MI made the mandate to demote Game On to a trial event and put Source Code in its place, two things: 1) it's still a HUGE speculation to think that they ran that instead of Source Code to give their team a better shot, and 2) it's their invitational, they can do whatever the heck they want, and attending teams need to bend to that. It's unfortunate, but true. Benefit of the doubt, I guess?

EDIT: Listen to what Richardsim says, he knows MI SciOly really well and I don't :P
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Y'know what, I just figured this out: West Ottawa must have been running things to regional specs, and Region 12 was running Game On as the official event with Source Code as the trial.
megrimlockawesom
Division: C
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

does it count if it is poorly run in our favor?

At regionals when impounded our coaster they let us tinker with our coaster until event time and even then they still let us tinker with our coaster. We were able to work out the kinks and we got our best time and gaps since cornell. We ended up medaling 1st :D
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

Return to “General Competition”