Poorly Run Event Stories

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
waffletree
Division: B
State: PA

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Postby waffletree » January 15th, 2019, 6:27 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:FJDKSLjkljfkldsjlefd mystery at UCC.

Materials given were just lots of tape, and useless stuff like a dvd, 3(?) or 4 index cards, a spoon and a fork, and two cups, one small one large.
The prompt was to build the tallest arch that could support a tennis ball.

At Rustin, the prompt was similar, except we didn't have to hold anything, and an arch was defined as a structure with no straight edges (they used a 5cm block to measure). Their definition was pretty clear and concise, albeit rather tedious.

However, at UCC, their definition of an arch varied a lot. They said that "the curve" had to support the load (tennis ball), yet while we implemented curves into our design, apparently it didn't count. They also wanted our structure to be perfectly symmetrical (....which it was...). If you think about it though, how the heck do you implement a single spoon or a single fork into the structure, while keeping it symmetrical?
In our block (of 7 teams), not a SINGLE team was placed into tier 1.

Agreed. At Rustin, although their materials were on the simple side, they gave a very straightforward definition of an arch (no straight segments >5cm) and they were extremely consistent about measurements. Although the materials were more complicated at regionals, all of their specifications were subject to opinion (Ex. Is the structure perfectly symmetrical? How would you define a curve?). At one point, two of the supervisors were even disagreeing to each other on whether or not our build would constitute an arch. :roll:

lmao a dvd...and 2 different sized cups XD
hehe i like to hear that our coaches (rustin proctors) did decent. they are the official state mystery arch supervisors
BCMS, gr. 8
2019 - Boomi / ELG / Myst. Arch / Battery Buggy / Duct Tape
2017-2018 - Wright stuff / Towers / WIDI / Hovercraft / Herp
Assassinator 133
VP of the Builder Cult. Builders rise up!
#treegang

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » January 15th, 2019, 6:32 pm

waffletree wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:

Materials given were just lots of tape, and useless stuff like a dvd, 3(?) or 4 index cards, a spoon and a fork, and two cups, one small one large.

At Rustin, the prompt was similar, except we didn't have to hold anything, and an arch was defined as a structure with no straight edges (they used a 5cm block to measure). Their definition was pretty clear and concise, albeit rather tedious.

However, at UCC, their definition of an arch varied a lot. They said that "the curve" had to support the load (tennis ball), yet while we implemented curves into our design, apparently it didn't count. They also wanted our structure to be perfectly symmetrical (....which it was...). If you think about it though, how the heck do you implement a single spoon or a single fork into the structure, while keeping it symmetrical?

Agreed. At Rustin, although their materials were on the simple side, they gave a very straightforward definition of an arch (no straight segments >5cm) and they were extremely consistent about measurements. Although the materials were more complicated at regionals, all of their specifications were subject to opinion (Ex. Is the structure perfectly symmetrical? How would you define a curve?). At one point, two of the supervisors were even disagreeing to each other on whether or not our build would constitute an arch. :roll:

hehe i like to hear that our coaches (rustin proctors) did decent. they are the official state mystery arch supervisors

Just to note, some parts of the arch were just bit vague (some were a bit curved, others not so much, etc.). I suggest that you can counteract that by giving longer distances for the sides (instead of 5cm, 10cm would be an easier way to judge competitors).
Community MS (NJ) Captain, Bye Div B
Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Mystery Architecture - 3rd '19
Battery Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission Possible - 3rd '17
wHaT aRe YoU TrYiNg To TeLl mE NaTiOnAl ChaMpIoN '19

JoeyC
Division: C
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » January 15th, 2019, 6:54 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote: If you think about it though, how the heck do you implement a single spoon or a single fork into the structure, while keeping it symmetrical?

Saw the spoon in half. ;)
Ohayo!
Past (Main) Events
Dynamic Planet Fast Facts, Thermodynamics, Green Generation

Current Events
Dynamic Planet Protein Modeling, Thermodynamics, More to (hopefully) come!

Away for the Summer! (see ya)

builderguy135

Postby builderguy135 » January 15th, 2019, 7:36 pm

waffletree wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:

They did an excellent job of being consistent and fair to every team. I really appreciated how they quantitatively defined what an "arch" is, rather than just saying "It has to curve". My only suggestion is that they should use a more diverse selection of materials, rather than just paper (Rustin). A larger selection of materials would force the competitor to be more creative with what they're building.
Community 2016-2019 & DMAH Co-Captain ;)
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/dmahscio/
2019 Events
LISO/Rustin/Rgs/Garnet/Cornell/Sts/Nats
Roller: 1/2/1/10/4/1/1
ELG: 1/1/x/1/1/1/2
MysArc: 1/8/20/1/8/9/3
Road: 1/5/2/3/1/1/4
BB: x/1/x/x/6/1/4
Game: 1/-
Para: x/6/x/1/4/x/11
Duct: x/13/x/4/-

builderguy135

Postby builderguy135 » January 15th, 2019, 7:38 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
waffletree wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:

They did an excellent job of being consistent and fair to every team. I really appreciated how they quantitatively defined what an "arch" is, rather than just saying "It has to curve". My only suggestion is that they should use a more diverse selection of materials, rather than just paper (Rustin). A larger selection of materials would force the competitor to be more creative with what they're building.

JoeyC wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote: If you think about it though, how the heck do you implement a single spoon or a single fork into the structure, while keeping it symmetrical?

Saw the spoon in half. ;)

To show the power of FlexTape, I sawed this spoon in half!
Community 2016-2019 & DMAH Co-Captain ;)
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/dmahscio/
2019 Events
LISO/Rustin/Rgs/Garnet/Cornell/Sts/Nats
Roller: 1/2/1/10/4/1/1
ELG: 1/1/x/1/1/1/2
MysArc: 1/8/20/1/8/9/3
Road: 1/5/2/3/1/1/4
BB: x/1/x/x/6/1/4
Game: 1/-
Para: x/6/x/1/4/x/11
Duct: x/13/x/4/-

Verdigris
State: FL

Postby Verdigris » January 19th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Fun story while waiting for Regional results.

2019 Central Florida Regionals is the first time that Ocoee High School has hosted, IIRC. They’ve done great, and I want to commend them.

That said, apparently the planned event supervisors for Sounds of Music and Experimental Design dropped out at the last minute and had to be replaced with new people. As a result of the ensuing mess, we still don’t have Division C final results, 2 hours later. I greatly appreciate the people who worked to pick up the slack on both supervising and grading, because this situation sounds like a worse nightmare than the time our school tried to run Science Bowl as an ESO event.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Baller2435

Postby Baller2435 » January 21st, 2019, 6:29 pm

It's really unfortunate what happened at UCC Regions this year for Fossils... given the amount of work required for it...
Class of 2021 8-)

CPScienceDude
State: IN

Postby CPScienceDude » January 21st, 2019, 6:37 pm

I have a good one: At Northridge, not a single event was ran! (Get it? Because Northridge was cancelled?)
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

Medals: 23
Hammond/Valpo/Regionals/State
Crime: 6/1/1/8
Exp Design: 2/x/x/x
Thermo: 3/9/1/4
Heredity: x/3/x/x
Mystery: x/x/1/4
Member of the Builder Cult
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

Baller2435

Postby Baller2435 » January 29th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Haha that does sound worse. At least we got to skip school for a day :D
Class of 2021 8-)

Rivkaaa
State: NY

Postby Rivkaaa » January 30th, 2019, 1:19 pm

In Garnet Valley, for Water Quality, the salinity testing was poorly run and didn't meet the standards, which messed up the results for almost every team.
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

CookiePie1

Postby CookiePie1 » January 30th, 2019, 2:26 pm

At Yale, for mission, the event supervisor put two tally marks for the number of touches and interpreted it as 11 which got us DQ'd.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

RockRoll92
State: RI

Postby RockRoll92 » February 10th, 2019, 4:59 pm

The Div B thermo event at HUSO was so poorly run. They gave us a test which was not the format which was stated by the rules, covered enthalpy/entropy which is for div C only, as well as running the tests/runs after we took the test with like 5 minutes to spare while having each team scoop their water out of a bucket measured in fahrenheit with their beakers and never announced we would have thermometers in our devices the entire time, nor the temperature of the room. It didn't throw us off too much but idk about the other teams.
Events
2018-2019 Fossils, Thermo, WIDI, RollerCoaster, Density Lab

RockRoll92's Userpage

klastyioer
State: PA

Postby klastyioer » February 10th, 2019, 5:41 pm

OH MY GOD
LAST YEAR IN WS
AT STATES THERE WAS THIS PERSON WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO WATCH THE DOORS SO THAT NO ONE WOULD COME IN AND OUT DURING THE FLIGHTS
AND SHE LIKE DIDNT WATCH THE DOOR DURING OUR FLIGHTS
AND LIKE IT WAS SO ANNOYING CAUSE THE DOOR WAS WIDE OPEN DURING OURS AND IT AFFECTED OUR FLIGHT
AND THEY JUST COUNTED THAT AS A TRIM BUT DIDNT GIVE US ANY TIME BACK
BUT IT WAS THEIR FAULT
AND AT AN INVITE THIS DUDE BROKE OUR PLANE
LIKE THE SUPERVISOR
AND I WAS SOOOOO pigeon CAUSE THEYRE NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH THE COMPETITORS PLANE AND IT FRIKIN BROKE CAUSE HE TOUCHED IT AGHH
okay sorry had to rant
honestly, it's not about the medals. go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.
-
Builder Cult >:)

'17 - Towers, Wright Stuff, rocks
'18 - Towers, Wright Stuff, Mystery Arch, road
'19 - Wright Stuff

BrownieInMotion
State: VA

Postby BrownieInMotion » February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Geologic Mapping at the Fairfax VASO Regionals yesterday was pretty bad. We weren't let into the room until 5 minutes after the scheduled event start time, at which point we learned it was because the tests weren't printed. The tests arrived 20 minutes into the block, giving us 35 minutes to complete the test. After we started the test, we were told not to answer several (like 5-10) questions… because the test already had the answers to those questions printed in it.

The actual exam didn't feel like it was testing Geologic Mapping. I don't remember how many total questions there were, but I think it was around 30-40, including several about glacial features, a few about sand dunes, and another about what quantity (GRACE?) satellites measure to determine gravitational acceleration at a given point on Earth. I think less than a third of the test actually had you work with a geologic or topographic map. Also, one of the tectonics questions simply read: "Name 3 subduction zones."

The test was also formatted strangely. I don't believe there were page numbers, some 2-3 line short answer questions went across pages, and it wasn't always clear which image a given question was referring too because the image number was sometimes on the previous page while the image itself was on the next. We weren't given an answer sheet either, and there wasn't a blank anywhere on the test for us to write our team name and number, not even on the first page (we ended up writing it in the margins).

I’m still very confused as to what series of events resulted in this happening. As far as I know, all the other events started on time, and, from what I understand, the other VASO regionals used the same tests, so I don’t see how having the answers already in the test could go unnoticed after two other tournaments used them. Oh well, we still won. :^)
Langley '19
Cornell '23

2018-19
NCS/MIT/R/Cornell/S
CL: 5/21/1/3/3
GM: 1/7/1/15/1
PM: 3/41/1/2/3
FQ: -/-/3/-/-
ED: -/-/-/-/1

Bio: x/2
Fxn: x/30
Tape: x/x/x/15
STB: x/x/x/1

2017-18
VT/FFX/Yale/SOUP/R/S
CL: 2/4/5/9/1/2
MS: 2/39/20/19/1/1
FQ: 5/8/9/30/8/1
R&M: -/6/-/7/1/5
DP: -/-/10/-/-/-

Creationist127
State: IN

Postby Creationist127 » February 11th, 2019, 7:40 am

At NW Indiana Regionals, the Sounds of Music event:
We took the test during the impound block, since there were multiple teams from our school and they were worried we would cheat. Unfortunately, the test was locked in some professor's room and didn't get there until 15-20 minutes later than we were supposed to start, making me late for Thermo. Later that day, we did the actual device testing. I used my partner's instrument, since the one I made had gone missing. I tested it beforehand, and it was consistently 20 or so cents sharp. I couldn't make the pipes longer without a great effort, so I ran with it. Additionally, my partner's log was made entirely of various pipe lengths and corresponding frequency values, since neither of us read the rules hard. I walked into the room, and handed him the log. He looked, asked me about it, and said, "Since your log doesn't contain any device diagram or anything, I'll just ask you verbally." He proceeded to ask me about what the instrument was made of, etc. When I played my instrument, I could see on his tuner that the pitches were very far off. However, since I "hit it pretty close", he gave me <5 for each pitch score. I ended up getting full points for log, and full points for pitches, and full points for volume (though that one was probably actually hit). I ended up getting 4th because neither me nor my partner knew anything on the test.

TL;DR The proctor was a total noob and gave me full points for everything I did, even though it was bad. :D / :cry:
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff

"I sure could go for a galaxy-sized slice of cake right now!"
-Bowser

Return to “General Chat”