Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 15th, 2019, 9:10 am

I found a large portion of the Conestoga Dynamic Planet test (questions 1-65 on a test of 102 questions) on a Quizlet set made 4 years ago. Some of my other events also were not the greatest.

Pastaman202
Division: B
State: IL

Postby Pastaman202 » February 16th, 2019, 6:36 am

Herpetology at centerville.

A) The test was the same exact test as a summer study test, with the same ID, illegal questions, and regular questions
B) The test had 2 questions labeled 38, so i put the second question 38 into the question 39 spot. this meant that from question 39-50, all of them were wrong, even if the answer itself was correct.
C) The other team had this same problem, but an event supervisor ended up fixing it and they got an additional 13 points, but no event supervisor looked at ours, so we couldn't get any make-up points
That screwup made us lose 17 points, so our real score would've been 75.5 points out of 80, making us get first by 5 points instead of third. Out total team would've still lost to Solon by like 100 points but still its annoying.
2018 events: Wright stuff, Potions, Hover, Herps
2019 R/S/N
ELG:3/-/15(big oof)
potions: 1/1/3
Circuit: 1/1/5
DP: -/1/1
Herps: 2/2/10 (meduim oof)
DWJHS '19 captain
2020 events:
Maybe:anat, orni
Probs:DP oceans
Def: acids and bases, circuit

Killboe
State: FL

Postby Killboe » February 16th, 2019, 6:55 am

Both invitationals at OSS, Solar system test was messed up both times. 1st test, literally everything was about meteors lol. 2nd test had things about the Sun, Titan, Io, Venus, Mercury, and a lot more. Almost all of it wasn't in the rule sheet except for around 2 or 3 questions.
River City Science Academy

2019 Events

Disease Detectives
Solar System
Thermodynamics

My Wiki

smayya337
State: VA

Postby smayya337 » February 16th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Thermo at Cornell today was not the epitome of organization. Overwhelmed by the long line outside their door at impound, the volunteers stopped measuring devices to make sure they fit the regulations and instead opted to simply ask everyone, "Does your box follow the rules?" At the actual event, they didn't keep track of when each team started their device testing (how?!), and our event was interrupted multiple times by people coming in, including a coach who had come to impound his team's device and a team that didn't know about impound. (I actually feel bad for that last one, it was super humiliating...) Maybe I'm pampered since the ES at practically all of my tournaments is the national Thermo ES, but compared to all the Virginia tournaments I've been to, Thermo at Cornell was a mess.
TJHSST '22

CPScienceDude
State: IN

Postby CPScienceDude » February 16th, 2019, 6:08 pm

smayya337 wrote:Thermo at Cornell today was not the epitome of organization. Overwhelmed by the long line outside their door at impound, the volunteers stopped measuring devices to make sure they fit the regulations and instead opted to simply ask everyone, "Does your box follow the rules?" At the actual event, they didn't keep track of when each team started their device testing (how?!), and our event was interrupted multiple times by people coming in, including a coach who had come to impound his team's device and a team that didn't know about impound. (I actually feel bad for that last one, it was super humiliating...) Maybe I'm pampered since the ES at practically all of my tournaments is the national Thermo ES, but compared to all the Virginia tournaments I've been to, Thermo at Cornell was a mess.

Yeah, thermo is generally a mess, lol.
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

Medals: 23
Hammond/Valpo/Regionals/State
Crime: 6/1/1/8
Exp Design: 2/x/x/x
Thermo: 3/9/1/4
Heredity: x/3/x/x
Mystery: x/x/1/4
Member of the Builder Cult
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

JoeyC
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » February 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Sounds a bit more disorganized than usual, but other than not using a timer and not measuring, sounds standard. (of course, the small errors made could lead into a major tipping of the scales) However, I hold that nothing could be bad as States last year in measures of misrun Thermo.
Ohayo!
Past (Main) Events
Dynamic Planet Fast Facts, Thermodynamics, Green Generation

Current Events
Dynamic Planet Protein Modeling, Thermodynamics, More to (hopefully) come!

Away for the Summer! (see ya)

linzhiyan
State: MO

Postby linzhiyan » February 16th, 2019, 6:18 pm

JoeyC wrote:Sounds a bit more disorganized than usual, but other than not using a timer and not measuring, sounds standard. (of course, the small errors made could lead into a major tipping of the scales) However, I hold that nothing could be bad as States last year in measures of misrun Thermo.

Agreed. Last year for states, thermo was completely dropped last year for division B.
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

smayya337

Postby smayya337 » February 16th, 2019, 6:30 pm

linzhiyan wrote:
JoeyC wrote:Sounds a bit more disorganized than usual, but other than not using a timer and not measuring, sounds standard. (of course, the small errors made could lead into a major tipping of the scales) However, I hold that nothing could be bad as States last year in measures of misrun Thermo.

Agreed. Last year for states, thermo was completely dropped last year for division B.

OK, that's even worse lol
TJHSST '22

JoeyC
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » February 16th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Wow, we aren't even in the same state, but we both had bad States, lol. Thermo can be pretty sketchy at times cause it just takes a lot of dedication to run correctly.
Ohayo!
Past (Main) Events
Dynamic Planet Fast Facts, Thermodynamics, Green Generation

Current Events
Dynamic Planet Protein Modeling, Thermodynamics, More to (hopefully) come!

Away for the Summer! (see ya)

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Location: telling young innocent middle schoolers to sleep while they can

Postby dxu46 » February 16th, 2019, 7:10 pm

linzhiyan wrote:

And division C :/
Ladue Science Olympiad!
tHe YeAr Of ThE gRiNd Is HeRe
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Summary of 2019 season: :cry: :lol: :x :oops: :( 8-) :geek: :D :!: :cry:

SluffAndRuff

Postby SluffAndRuff » February 16th, 2019, 7:25 pm

smayya337 wrote:Thermo at Cornell today was not the epitome of organization. Overwhelmed by the long line outside their door at impound, the volunteers stopped measuring devices to make sure they fit the regulations and instead opted to simply ask everyone, "Does your box follow the rules?" At the actual event, they didn't keep track of when each team started their device testing (how?!), and our event was interrupted multiple times by people coming in, including a coach who had come to impound his team's device and a team that didn't know about impound. (I actually feel bad for that last one, it was super humiliating...) Maybe I'm pampered since the ES at practically all of my tournaments is the national Thermo ES, but compared to all the Virginia tournaments I've been to, Thermo at Cornell was a mess.

Maybe ur just bad
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » February 16th, 2019, 7:38 pm

dxu46 wrote:
linzhiyan wrote:

And division C :/

And Division B for IL...
Thermo Fails:
Cornell Invitational 2019
MO States B&C 2018
IL States B 2018
TX States B 2018
(and probably more...)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

IsaacT
State: MS

Postby IsaacT » February 17th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Last year at my state competition one team showed up late to Rocks&Minerals and instead of just not allowing them to come in for being late the ES starts the whole event over. My teammate and I ended up just looking ahead at the other rocks/minerals from our station because we had already finished the stations we were forced to go back to.
B Events: Dynamic Planet, Fast Facts, Rocks&Minerals, Crime Busters, Ecology
C Events: Sounds of Music, Ornithology (MS Trial), Indoor Bottle Rockets (MS Trial)

jimmy-bond
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » February 17th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Disease Detectives at Regionals: the test was taken from a resource online: https://www.cdc.gov/epicasestudies/down ... d_inst.pdf
At an important competition, such as regionals, I expected a new test to be written instead of one taken directly from the Internet. Some of the questions are more subjective than most tests and I personally like objective grading so this test was not one of my favorites.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Season's over, I can sleep now.

2019 States
Code Busters(1), DD(1), FQ(2), Forensics(1), WQ(5)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

sophisSyo
State: NY

Postby sophisSyo » February 21st, 2019, 8:44 am

Two years ago when my friend and I went with my middle school team as ninth graders and we got them to states, we did food science right (I can't remember if this was states or regionals. Maybe states)...so they gave us matches for the calorimetry, but we had to extinguish them in little plastic dishes (like the condiment ones?) that had water, so naturally when I went to extinguish it the flame almost immediately jumped on my gloved hand and burnt through (I was unharmed) before it was extinguished. My partner had just stared in horror...and they had those long reach lighters on a table but didn't use them. Apparently, the other middle school from my district had a similar problem. One of the teammates' (I'm friends with her now lol) sleeves caught on fire and her partner just sat there and laughed.
D > 997
2019 events: A&P, DG, DD, PM, WIDI (12 medals)
2018 medals: MM, DD, Parasitology, Experimental, Herpe, Codebusters, WIDI
Past: ID, Inquiry, Bio, etc. || 33 Div C medals
Captain & Academic Coordinator-Syosset

Return to “General Chat”