Poorly Run Event Stories

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Poorly Run Event Stories

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 15th, 2019, 9:10 am

I found a large portion of the Conestoga Dynamic Planet test (questions 1-65 on a test of 102 questions) on a Quizlet set made 4 years ago. Some of my other events also were not the greatest.

Pastaman202
Division: B
State: IL

Postby Pastaman202 » February 16th, 2019, 6:36 am

Herpetology at centerville.

A) The test was the same exact test as a summer study test, with the same ID, illegal questions, and regular questions
B) The test had 2 questions labeled 38, so i put the second question 38 into the question 39 spot. this meant that from question 39-50, all of them were wrong, even if the answer itself was correct.
C) The other team had this same problem, but an event supervisor ended up fixing it and they got an additional 13 points, but no event supervisor looked at ours, so we couldn't get any make-up points
That screwup made us lose 17 points, so our real score would've been 75.5 points out of 80, making us get first by 5 points instead of third. Out total team would've still lost to Solon by like 100 points but still its annoying.
2018 events: Wright stuff, Potions, Hover, Herps
2019 Events: ELG, Potions, circuit, dp, Herps
2020 events (tentative): DP, orni, chem lab, circuit
2019 DP national champion (Div B)
DWJHS '19 captain
Wiki: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Pastaman202

Killboe
State: FL

Postby Killboe » February 16th, 2019, 6:55 am

Both invitationals at OSS, Solar system test was messed up both times. 1st test, literally everything was about meteors lol. 2nd test had things about the Sun, Titan, Io, Venus, Mercury, and a lot more. Almost all of it wasn't in the rule sheet except for around 2 or 3 questions.
Stanton College Preparatory

smayya337
State: VA

Postby smayya337 » February 16th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Thermo at Cornell today was not the epitome of organization. Overwhelmed by the long line outside their door at impound, the volunteers stopped measuring devices to make sure they fit the regulations and instead opted to simply ask everyone, "Does your box follow the rules?" At the actual event, they didn't keep track of when each team started their device testing (how?!), and our event was interrupted multiple times by people coming in, including a coach who had come to impound his team's device and a team that didn't know about impound. (I actually feel bad for that last one, it was super humiliating...) Maybe I'm pampered since the ES at practically all of my tournaments is the national Thermo ES, but compared to all the Virginia tournaments I've been to, Thermo at Cornell was a mess.
TJHSST '22

CPScienceDude
State: IN

Postby CPScienceDude » February 16th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Thermo at Cornell today was not the epitome of organization. Overwhelmed by the long line outside their door at impound, the volunteers stopped measuring devices to make sure they fit the regulations and instead opted to simply ask everyone, "Does your box follow the rules?" At the actual event, they didn't keep track of when each team started their device testing (how?!), and our event was interrupted multiple times by people coming in, including a coach who had come to impound his team's device and a team that didn't know about impound. (I actually feel bad for that last one, it was super humiliating...) Maybe I'm pampered since the ES at practically all of my tournaments is the national Thermo ES, but compared to all the Virginia tournaments I've been to, Thermo at Cornell was a mess.
Yeah, thermo is generally a mess, lol.
CPHS 23'
2020 events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics
Member of the Builder Cult
Assassination 139: Summer Vacation
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

JoeyC
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » February 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Sounds a bit more disorganized than usual, but other than not using a timer and not measuring, sounds standard. (of course, the small errors made could lead into a major tipping of the scales) However, I hold that nothing could be bad as States last year in measures of misrun Thermo.
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Compound Machines, Chem Lab, WaQua (maybe), Ornith (maybe)
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

linzhiyan
State: MO

Postby linzhiyan » February 16th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Sounds a bit more disorganized than usual, but other than not using a timer and not measuring, sounds standard. (of course, the small errors made could lead into a major tipping of the scales) However, I hold that nothing could be bad as States last year in measures of misrun Thermo.
Agreed. Last year for states, thermo was completely dropped last year for division B.
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

smayya337
State: VA

Postby smayya337 » February 16th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Agreed. Last year for states, thermo was completely dropped last year for division B.
OK, that's even worse lol
TJHSST '22

JoeyC
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » February 16th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Wow, we aren't even in the same state, but we both had bad States, lol. Thermo can be pretty sketchy at times cause it just takes a lot of dedication to run correctly.
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Compound Machines, Chem Lab, WaQua (maybe), Ornith (maybe)
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » February 16th, 2019, 7:10 pm

And division C :/

Return to “General Competition”