Scioly Achievement List

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
radioactivated
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Scioly Achievement List

Postby radioactivated » May 26th, 2018, 2:45 am

REVERSE ENGINEERING ACHIEVEMENT: We repeatedly had to reverse engineer and redraw the schematics for our Mission Possible because my fellow builder refused to document properly as he worked. And I had trouble keeping track of the bajillion designs I had drawn in my notebook, anyway.

PikaPikaChu
Division: C
State: KS

Postby PikaPikaChu » May 26th, 2018, 8:32 am

BEAT THE CURVE ACHIEVEMENT:
Back when I first started in 6th grade, I got put on water quality with no knowledge at all. I go into the event at regionals and the only note/cheat sheet I had was a table with some of the organisms and pictures from the rules. I didn't realize the event covered more than that and it was also our first year as a team. I ended up getting ~20/80 right and placed 3rd. ;)
Edit: adding in the ULTRA-CLUTCH ACHIEVEMENT:
Not a hard event, but day of nats started going over expd info and rules (never did the event ever before nats).
User:PikaPikaChu Wiki
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: 6th place in Dynamic Planet

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Location: telling young innocent middle schoolers to sleep while they can

Postby dxu46 » May 26th, 2018, 9:48 am

PikaPikaChu wrote:Not a hard event, but...

>:(
are you saying expd isn't hard?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
tHe YeAr Of ThE gRiNd Is HeRe
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Summary of 2019 season: :cry: :lol: :x :oops: :( 8-) :geek: :D :!: :cry:

PikaPikaChu
State: KS

Postby PikaPikaChu » May 26th, 2018, 9:51 am

dxu46 wrote:
PikaPikaChu wrote:Not a hard event, but...

>:(
are you saying expd isn't hard?

Saying it's not a hard event to do the day of nats bc anyone can do it, but only few can do it well :)
User:PikaPikaChu Wiki
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: 6th place in Dynamic Planet

Orion66
State: GA

Postby Orion66 » May 28th, 2018, 9:41 am

MEGA-CLUTCH ACHIEVEMENT: Started building my first ever bridge at 2AM the day of a local invitational. Had a terrible score but still somehow won.
NEWTON-LEIBNIZ ACHIEVEMENT: Pretty regularly happened for hovercraft, being a physics event and all. Also had to derive escape velocity equation for Fermi once.
BEAT THE CURVE ACHIEVEMENT: Basically most early invitationals for engineering events.
MULTIPLE GUESS ACHIEVEMENT: Not terribly hard to get I suppose. Probably has happened to me on most tests I've taken that actually have MC parts.
BS ACHIEVEMENT: Made up some BS on how groundwater flows for Hydrogeo and still somehow got points.
O2 ACHIEVEMENT: Happened multiple times over the past two years (I did all engineering events with the same partner)
N2 ACHIEVEMENT: Happened multiple times over the past two years (I did all engineering events with the same partner)
PARASITE ACHIEVEMENT: Competed in Fermi with Unome. My preparation and contributions to this event consisted of memorizing log10(2)...log10(10) and solving two math questions. My other contributions consisted of making up wild guesses for values and getting things wrong.
STUDY EVENT PARASITISM ACHIEVEMENT: My first ever Hydrogeo notesheet was basically stolen from our B team.
RAGE ACHIEVEMENT: Hydrogeology at MIT one year ago, I got a raw score of 90/100. The graders miscalculated my raw score as 80/100. I got 5th. Interestingly enough, our Game On team got 10 extra points by mistake. I believe to this day that they stole the points from me.
UN-STREET SMART ACHIEVEMENT: Every. Single. Tournament. Ever.
POWER COUPLE AWARD: I've worked with my S.O. for the past two years in SciOly. In fact, I actually met her through SciOly. Won a lot of things at a lot of tournaments with her. Thanks JojoCho.
AESTHETICS ACHIEVEMENT: I regularly value aesthetic over performance, including laser cutting a small name plate for our Mousetrap Vehicle that added 3g of mass. I got yelled at a lot by my team. Fortunately, we still won xD.
ANTI-AESTHETICS ACHIEVEMENT: Why. Just, why.
Chattahoochee High School

"Don't bother me. I'm busy conserving energy, momentum, and angular momentum"

2016: Bridges | Air Trajectory | Hydrogeology
2017: Towers | Helicopters | Hydrogeology
2018: Towers | Helicopters | Mousetrap Vehicle, Hovercraft

JojoCho
State: GA

Postby JojoCho » May 28th, 2018, 9:53 am

Orion66 wrote:MEGA-CLUTCH ACHIEVEMENT: Started building my first ever bridge at 2AM the day of a local invitational. Had a terrible score but still somehow won.
NEWTON-LEIBNIZ ACHIEVEMENT: Pretty regularly happened for hovercraft, being a physics event and all. Also had to derive escape velocity equation for Fermi once.
BEAT THE CURVE ACHIEVEMENT: Basically most early invitationals for engineering events.
MULTIPLE GUESS ACHIEVEMENT: Not terribly hard to get I suppose. Probably has happened to me on most tests I've taken that actually have MC parts.
BS ACHIEVEMENT: Made up some BS on how groundwater flows for Hydrogeo and still somehow got points.
O2 ACHIEVEMENT: Happened multiple times over the past two years (I did all engineering events with the same partner)
N2 ACHIEVEMENT: Happened multiple times over the past two years (I did all engineering events with the same partner)
PARASITE ACHIEVEMENT: Competed in Fermi with Unome. My preparation and contributions to this event consisted of memorizing log10(2)...log10(10) and solving two math questions. My other contributions consisted of making up wild guesses for values and getting things wrong.
STUDY EVENT PARASITISM ACHIEVEMENT: My first ever Hydrogeo notesheet was basically stolen from our B team.
RAGE ACHIEVEMENT: Hydrogeology at MIT one year ago, I got a raw score of 90/100. The graders miscalculated my raw score as 80/100. I got 5th. Interestingly enough, our Game On team got 10 extra points by mistake. I believe to this day that they stole the points from me.
UN-STREET SMART ACHIEVEMENT: Every. Single. Tournament. Ever.
POWER COUPLE AWARD: I've worked with my S.O. for the past two years in SciOly. In fact, I actually met her through SciOly. Won a lot of things at a lot of tournaments with her. Thanks JojoCho.
AESTHETICS ACHIEVEMENT: I regularly value aesthetic over performance, including laser cutting a small name plate for our Mousetrap Vehicle that added 3g of mass. I got yelled at a lot by my team. Fortunately, we still won xD.
ANTI-AESTHETICS ACHIEVEMENT: Why. Just, why.

Forever salty about that mousetrap mass :|
Chattahoochee Class of 2019 || University of Georgia Class of 2023
2017:Game on || Helicopters || Towers
2018:Game on || Helicopters || Towers || Mousetrap Vehicle
2019:Boomilever || Mission Possible || Mousetrap Vehicle || Sounds of Music || Wright Stuff
User Page

19alekb
Division: B
State: IL

Postby 19alekb » May 29th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I don't think this is already an achievement, but here's two that I think are good.

IT WAS THAT EASY?: A study event in which you have a cheat sheet, but you don't use it at all during the test and get first place(you can look for information, but if you don't find it than this still counts).
KNOW IT ALL: Same as above but you do that for all of your tests and get first place in all.

I got both of the above in optics. :)

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Postby Tailsfan101 » May 30th, 2018, 7:14 am

IT WAS THAT EASY? ACHIEVEMENT: I got 2nd in DD at state by myself without using my cheat sheet at all, except to fact-check things I already knew.
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
State/Nats
CB: 1/35
RS: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GeoMaps: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

Goff18
State: NY

Postby Goff18 » May 30th, 2018, 8:01 am

I won two events in my region with the same partner: Meteorology as the host, Rollercoaster as the parasite
Howard L. Goff Middle School Science Olympiad: 2017-2018

Ravena/Islip/Reg./States/Nats

Dynamic Planet: -/3/-/5/15

Fast Facts: -/-/4/-/-

Meteorology: 2/5/1/2/7 why

Road Scholar: 2/-/2/-/-

Roller Coaster- -/-/1/-/-

Science Quiz Bowl (trial): -/3/-/-/-

Solar System: -/-/-/2/7 why

Nats RIP

vehicleguy
State: -

Postby vehicleguy » June 7th, 2018, 1:30 pm

WRITE IT DO IT MASTER: Do widi by yourself with no writer. Then, build something random with the materials and get 1st.

(not a real one btw)
Battery Buggy-ELG-Exp D-Herp-Potions-Roller Coaster

Battery Buggy-Exp D-FF-Herp-Potions-Roller Coaster

Feel free to PM me about any of my events.
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy

Neruos73
State: VA

Postby Neruos73 » August 8th, 2018, 11:28 pm

EULER ACHIEVEMENT: My partner and I forgot to bring a calculator for DD at invitationals so we had to do the calculations by hand. We got all of the calculations right, though. BEAT THE CURVE: My partner and I got 2nd in regionals for WIDI, which I was surprised about since WIDI is my worst event and I felt I did awful on the writing part. It’s kind of funny though because during invitationals and states I actually felt confident that I did well but then we got close to last so ye 8-)
Division B:
Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission, and WIDI

Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Fast Facts, and Roller Coaster

Division C:
Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, and Disease Detectives

jimmy-bond
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » August 9th, 2018, 6:30 pm

EULER ACHIEVEMENT: The DD test at one of the invitationals was half relative risk/odds ratio and my partner and I didn't have a calculator. We converted all the fractions into decimals and then started dividing, when halfway through, we realized that we could just divide fractions and convert the quotient into a decimal to save time. Not one of our brightest moments, but at least we got 1st.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Season's over, I can sleep now.

2019 States
Code Busters(1), DD(1), FQ(2), Forensics(1), WQ(5)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

SciolyMaster

Postby SciolyMaster » September 8th, 2018, 11:56 am

F ACHIEVEMENT: When you forget to put the ball in your Air Trajectory device :cry: (happened way back at my first nationals)
Ladue Science Olympiad

2019 Events
UChicago / regionals / state
Sounds: 5th / 2nd / 3rd
Geo Mapping: 2nd / 1st / 2nd
Thermo: - / 1st / :cry:
(Astro as an alternate: - / 1st / - 8-))

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
–Abraham Lincoln, 1869

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » September 8th, 2018, 10:25 pm

SciolyMaster wrote:F ACHIEVEMENT: When you forget to put the ball in your Air Trajectory device :cry: (happened way back at my first nationals)

This should include things like forgetting to connect a battery, or forgetting to turn your Mission Possible device on, and not realizing until after you failed the run,
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad (Alum, as of Saturday)

linzhiyan

Postby linzhiyan » September 8th, 2018, 10:40 pm

PM2017 wrote:
SciolyMaster wrote:F ACHIEVEMENT: When you forget to put the ball in your Air Trajectory device :cry: (happened way back at my first nationals)

This should include things like forgetting to connect a battery, or forgetting to turn your Mission Possible device on, and not realizing until after you failed the run,

...oof
F ACHIEVEMENT= "Oof Achievement" :lol:
In one of the competitions, my coach put me in WIDI, an event I'd never done before. About 20 minutes before our scheduled time to compete, I read the rules for the first time, and I didn't even finish. During the competition, when I was writing, I forgot that we could use numbers, so I didn't number the steps. I also forgot that there were such things as "flat toothpicks" so I wrote "very small popsicle stick" instead :lol:
^^triple oof right there...
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

Return to “General Chat”