How is your SciOly program run?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
bishopc11

How is your SciOly program run?

Postby bishopc11 » March 15th, 2015, 6:36 pm

My school is looking to revamp its SciOly program and I was hoping to get some advice about how other schools run their program...any tips or info would be appreciated!!

Some questions to consider when answering...

How do students sign up or register for events?
Do you have sign up requirements?
How many days a week does each event practice? For how long?
Do you limit the number of students in an event to prevent one event being overcrowded?
How do you form teams for Regionals or tournaments?
How many coaches does your school have?
Do you use outside sources for SciOly?

Any insight into your program will greatly help us change ours to better fit the needs of our coaches and students! Thanks so much! :D

InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN

Re: How is your SciOly program run?

Postby InfiniCuber » March 15th, 2015, 8:30 pm

My school is looking to revamp its SciOly program and I was hoping to get some advice about how other schools run their program...any tips or info would be appreciated!!

Some questions to consider when answering...

How do students sign up or register for events?
Do you have sign up requirements?
How many days a week does each event practice? For how long?
Do you limit the number of students in an event to prevent one event being overcrowded?
How do you form teams for Regionals or tournaments?
How many coaches does your school have?
Do you use outside sources for SciOly?

Any insight into your program will greatly help us change ours to better fit the needs of our coaches and students! Thanks so much! :D
In my school, we don't "sign-up" for events, we try out, so as many people that want to try out can for whatever events they want. Then we decide something like a top 45 (which sometimes means only cutting 2 or 3 students) so we have 3 teams of 15. After that, practices are held and it is a students choice whether to attend or not, but hours are clocked, as we have sign in/out boards. Our coaches form our teams out of the 45, usually to make 3 balanced teams. We have 2 coaches. And I'm not sure what you mean by outside sources for Scioly?
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

samlan16
Division: Grad
State: TN

Postby samlan16 » March 16th, 2015, 9:57 am

If you mean college textbooks, lectures on Youtube, and field trips to nature centers by "outside sources," then yes. Absolutely.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » March 16th, 2015, 7:20 pm

This is how we do it at my school:
In the beginning of the year the two head coaches and some members from previous years go around to the classrooms and make announcements and get everybody excited for the year. Then in late September we have a "fake tournament" in which all perspective team members/parents compete and try sample events. At the end there is a sign up sheet on which you rank the events in each period based on how much you want to be in them. We let anyone who wants to be on the team on and if there is more than enough for one team, the JV is normally the 6th graders (although there are exceptions). In terms of events the coaches assign events after the initial ranking of the ones you want. They spend hours fitting everyone into events and making sure everyone has at least one event they ranked #1. Only 2 (or 3 depending on the event) people get in for each event, we don't let people study for extra events unless they are just doing it for fun. Our practices are from mid morning to mid afternoon every other Saturday, and then every Saturday the month leading up to Regionals. During these practices we practice events based on when they are in the day. For example there will be a chunk of time for 1st period events, 2nd period events and so on. Building event partners will sometimes arrange to meet together after school, but that is up to them to plan. We have the two coaches from our school and then 2 assistant coaches. Alum sometimes also come to help out as well.
I think this answered all of your questions. If any part of this is unclear let me know and I will clarify it.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

FrogWizard
State: CO

Postby FrogWizard » March 17th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Ours is a lot more low-key. It's a lot more about simply having fun doing science. Next year we plan to move more into the competitive spectrum, but this year we had some group study time and mostly people studied on their own for events. We met once a week during lunch and either worked on comp stuff or just did fun experiments relating to the SciOly topics e.g. insect forensic logic puzzle.

We also did field trips to the USAFA observatory, the aquarium, and we're going to the cadaver lab. Just fun general science things.
Team Captain
2015 SoCo Regional Events: Cell Biology (2nd), Protein Modeling (2nd), Chemistry Lab

coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA

Postby coprolite_dipstick » March 17th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Scioly at my school is VERY competitive...

Around 190 people applied for Science Olympiad, and obviously we had to cut that down by quite a bit. Using an algorithm, there was reserved space for people who had previously been in SO, those doing it for the first time, etc. Those who got in practiced for a few months until December, where we had to cut it down even more.
In December, we had the "mini-competition." It was basically a mini regionals, except you were competing individually against people from your own school. There we cut the number of people down to 105. We had 7 teams (6 for Regionals, 1 for an invitational). I believe the algorithm was used for this as well.
Then after Regionals, we used the algorithm to go from 105 people to a state team of 15. So, VERY competitive.

There were no sign up requirements, just a form you needed to fill out. Meetings really depend on the event. I'm meeting three times a week for one of my events, two times another, and one time for Meteorology, but that's for state. In Regionals it was mostly one or two times a week, and class ranged anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
Space in each event is limited, though we try to give everyone their top three or four events. This year I got my 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices. There are 23 coaches — meaning one per event — and we use various outside sources, e.g videos, presentations, and sometimes we take field trips to museums.
That was long, sorry!
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » March 17th, 2015, 6:57 pm

190? Wow. How large is the school, if you don't mind me asking?

coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA

Postby coprolite_dipstick » March 17th, 2015, 9:11 pm

About 1,600 people...
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » March 18th, 2015, 4:25 am

Scioly at my school is VERY competitive...

Around 190 people applied for Science Olympiad, and obviously we had to cut that down by quite a bit. Using an algorithm, there was reserved space for people who had previously been in SO, those doing it for the first time, etc. Those who got in practiced for a few months until December, where we had to cut it down even more.
In December, we had the "mini-competition." It was basically a mini regionals, except you were competing individually against people from your own school. There we cut the number of people down to 105. We had 7 teams (6 for Regionals, 1 for an invitational). I believe the algorithm was used for this as well.
Then after Regionals, we used the algorithm to go from 105 people to a state team of 15. So, VERY competitive.

There were no sign up requirements, just a form you needed to fill out. Meetings really depend on the event. I'm meeting three times a week for one of my events, two times another, and one time for Meteorology, but that's for state. In Regionals it was mostly one or two times a week, and class ranged anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
Space in each event is limited, though we try to give everyone their top three or four events. This year I got my 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices. There are 23 coaches — meaning one per event — and we use various outside sources, e.g videos, presentations, and sometimes we take field trips to museums.
That was long, sorry!
190? That's almost as big as Auburn!
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Verdigris
State: FL

Postby Verdigris » March 18th, 2015, 5:28 am

Usually we have like 10 people that are actually willing to commit to SciOly - the rest just fall away or end up having other obligations - so we don't usually have to make official cuts.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Return to “General Competition”