Resource Sheet Tips!!

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Resource Sheet Tips!!

Post by sciolylover13 »

TItle explains all...

Here is my tip:

TEXT BOXES!!! Text boxes are lifesavers for pictures. MS Word does this weird thing where you can only move a picture to a certain place, and it wastes A LOT of space. On my Anat cheat sheet, I usually have a page for pictures, and one for words, so I use text boxes to arrange my pictures the I want them and not how Word wants them.
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Resource Sheet Tips!!

Post by Unome »

sciolylover13 wrote:TItle explains all...

Here is my tip:

TEXT BOXES!!! Text boxes are lifesavers for pictures. MS Word does this weird thing where you can only move a picture to a certain place, and it wastes A LOT of space. On my Anat cheat sheet, I usually have a page for pictures, and one for words, so I use text boxes to arrange my pictures the I want them and not how Word wants them.
You should use Powerpoint.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolylover13

Post by sciolylover13 »

Unome wrote: You should use Powerpoint.
How am I supposed to use Powerpoint?
Unome

Post by Unome »

sciolylover13 wrote:
Unome wrote: You should use Powerpoint.
How am I supposed to use Powerpoint?
You put on pictures and text boxes and mess with formatting. If you don't have Publisher, Powerpoint is the next best for Sheets.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Here is my tip:

With "you can only move a picture to a certain place", have you tried doing square text wrapping? For my Dynamic Planet sheets, I just did my notes as usual on the left side and stuck in some pictures/diagrams on the right side of the sheet. I used square text wrapping and messed with a few other options (unselected "move object with text", made the "distance from text" 0.02 in on the left). This generally worked out pretty well, and formatting it wasn't too painful (still not as smooth as I would wish, but close enough).

And yeah, clumping many diagrams together in a similar location has also worked well for me. I did it quite a bit with my cheat sheet for Severe Storms, and made it so the diagrams overlapped portions of them that were unimportant. I suppose I could have just cropped those portions out, but then again, I also used Google Docs, so I don't think not cutting down my images was my biggest crime (I will say Google Docs is good for casual note taking, but for trying to format cheat sheets...no thanks).

As far as using text boxes in general, I usually only use them to add a few things (usually less important things) over to the side of the sheet. However, for my Disease cheat sheet, I did exclusively put text in text boxes. I was able to get a few things that were able to fit in perfectly, which was pretty cool (not to say I even was able to fill the entire sheet).
sciolylover13

Post by sciolylover13 »

John Richardsim wrote:

Here is my tip:

With "you can only move a picture to a certain place", have you tried doing square text wrapping? For my Dynamic Planet sheets, I just did my notes as usual on the left side and stuck in some pictures/diagrams on the right side of the sheet. I used square text wrapping and messed with a few other options (unselected "move object with text", made the "distance from text" 0.02 in on the left). This generally worked out pretty well, and formatting it wasn't too painful (still not as smooth as I would wish, but close enough).

And yeah, clumping many diagrams together in a similar location has also worked well for me. I did it quite a bit with my cheat sheet for Severe Storms, and made it so the diagrams overlapped portions of them that were unimportant. I suppose I could have just cropped those portions out, but then again, I also used Google Docs, so I don't think not cutting down my images was my biggest crime (I will say Google Docs is good for casual note taking, but for trying to format cheat sheets...no thanks).

As far as using text boxes in general, I usually only use them to add a few things (usually less important things) over to the side of the sheet. However, for my Disease cheat sheet, I did exclusively put text in text boxes. I was able to get a few things that were able to fit in perfectly, which was pretty cool (not to say I even was able to fill the entire sheet).
I might try that! But I think we are going to need a lot of diagrams for A&P so I don't know...
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

sciolylover13 wrote:...Text boxes are lifesavers for pictures. MS Word does this weird thing where you can only move a picture to a certain place, and it wastes A LOT of space. On my Anat cheat sheet, I usually have a page for pictures, and one for words, so I use text boxes to arrange my pictures the I want them and not how Word wants them.
Honestly, if you just change the wrapping to "in front of text" or "behind text", you can move the pictures wherever you want without worrying about the text, which makes it a ton easier if you use text boxes. That way, you treat each object as a separate entity, so you can move them around as you wish and format them to your liking. I've only used text boxes for my notes (unless it's a binder event where I just print out wikipedia articles lol; who needs notes when you have swag [me because I only got 5th in crave the wave T_T]), as they make your notes much more modular and structured: you can have your stuff in rows or columns, group things together, or divide each subtopic into a couple of text boxes where each text box would be a certain aspect of it and order them consistently throughout the document. Furthermore, you can easily copy and paste text boxes between different versions of notes, making it easy to move information between pages. On my solar system notes, there's probably 50 pictures on each page, with probably 30 text boxes to accompany them.

I've used publisher briefly in the past (when I was a noob and didn't know how to do anything in scioly), but after using Word for the past (almost) 2 years, I feel that Word is by far better, especially due to the fact that you can highlight.
sciolylover13 wrote:I might try that! But I think we are going to need a lot of diagrams for A&P so I don't know...
My solar system notes probably had around 150-200 pictures on it in total, and it's not too much of a problem. As I said before, if you change the wrapping to "in front of text" or "behind text", you can move the pictures wherever you want. I don't think this would work if you don't use text boxes though, but then again I think everyone who makes notes should use text boxes.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Adi1008 wrote:I've used publisher briefly in the past (when I was a noob and didn't know how to do anything in scioly), but after using Word for the past (almost) 2 years, I feel that Word is by far better, especially due to the fact that you can highlight.
Have you tried applying a fill color to selected text? That sometimes highlights it too, and it gives you a larger selection of colors to use when highlighting.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome

Post by Unome »

Adi1008 wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:I might try that! But I think we are going to need a lot of diagrams for A&P so I don't know...
My solar system notes probably had around 150-200 pictures on it in total, and it's not too much of a problem. As I said before, if you change the wrapping to "in front of text" or "behind text", you can move the pictures wherever you want. I don't think this would work if you don't use text boxes though, but then again I think everyone who makes notes should use text boxes.
Mine had a similar number of pictures, but it would always lag, which made it difficult to work with.
Userpage

sciolylover13

Post by sciolylover13 »

Unome wrote: Mine had a similar number of pictures, but it would always lag, which made it difficult to work with.
Mine too!! It would take me a whole minute to get down to the 2nd page!

Return to “General Competition”