Where are you going for colleges?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
French_Toast
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Postby French_Toast » April 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm

Kokonilly wrote:
And French_Toast, though GPA is important, there's no GPA cutoff. Most good schools have a holistic review of applications, meaning that they don't have a GPA or SAT or whatever cutoff - they'll read your application and evaluate you as a whole. :) Good luck!

I am aware of that, I still plan on putting applications in everywhere, but they are reach schools.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby 49ers » April 24th, 2012, 6:02 am

So my summer vacation is set on visiting my top colleges on the east coast/through to Illinois. Starting up in Boston, then down into Connecticut, Over to Rochester, back to Pennsylvania, down to North Carolina potentially, and also out to University of Chicago for my last trip.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics and Astronomy major; Bio, Math minors
Nu Delta Omicron founder.

quizbowl
State: NY

Postby quizbowl » April 24th, 2012, 1:13 pm

49ers wrote:...University of Chicago for my last trip.

:D
Make sure to check out Mansueto - it's an awesome egg-shaped glass library!
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS

<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » April 24th, 2012, 2:48 pm

quizbowl wrote:

Not only is it architecturally impressive, but it has an awesome system of robotic cranes used to retrieve books, so you don't need to make the effort of physically hunting down the books yourself!
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

chia
State: IL

Postby chia » April 24th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Luo wrote:
quizbowl wrote::D

Not only is it architecturally impressive, but it has an awesome system of robotic cranes used to retrieve books, so you don't need to make the effort of physically hunting down the books yourself!
-sigh- Awesome architecture on campus and in the city, but they don't offer it as a major... :/
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: -

Postby andrewwski » April 25th, 2012, 12:31 am

49ers wrote:So my summer vacation is set on visiting my top colleges on the east coast/through to Illinois. Starting up in Boston, then down into Connecticut, Over to Rochester, back to Pennsylvania, down to North Carolina potentially, and also out to University of Chicago for my last trip.

RIT or UofR?
Please read Forum Rule #2:
2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose.

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby 49ers » April 26th, 2012, 5:51 am

andrewwski wrote:
49ers wrote:So my summer vacation is set on visiting my top colleges on the east coast/through to Illinois. Starting up in Boston, then down into Connecticut, Over to Rochester, back to Pennsylvania, down to North Carolina potentially, and also out to University of Chicago for my last trip.

RIT or UofR?

I am fairly sure it is RIT I am visiting.

Luo wrote:
quizbowl wrote:

I know! :D I am looking forward to all those buildings at U of Chicago! I quite literally spent 12 hours looking at stuff just for that college.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics and Astronomy major; Bio, Math minors
Nu Delta Omicron founder.

quizbowl

Postby quizbowl » April 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Congrats to Phenylethylamine for Harvard '16! (that rhymes)
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS

<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Postby hscmom » April 29th, 2012, 9:46 pm

RandomPerson wrote:So, unless I get off one of my waitlists (and even then I'm not sure I'd switch, would really depend on finances) I will be attending Tufts University this fall. I'm at least starting out as a Chemical Engineering major (I'm phrasing it that way because I think statistically most college grads change their major at least once).

Tufts is a great school. I nearly went there for grad school but Brandeis offered a better financial aid package (it was a great school!). I was a newlywed and my husband was in grad school too and we were living in a rented basement. Lots of ramen -- when things were tight, they were the brick kind with the little foil packet; when things were a little better, we got the ones in the foam cups with the dehydrated veggies. Ahh, the memories. Nothing to worry about. Go there and have a good time and know you are at a good school.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby gh » May 21st, 2012, 9:06 pm

Folks, if any of you are coming to, applying to, or are at Georgia Tech this coming year, please consider PMing your friendly admin and fourth-year GT student (me) about the following:

• SO volunteering! local tournaments need you for judging building events! We'll be at tourneys in local Atlanta schools and probably the state tourney at Emory.
  • Invention Studio! totally unique student-run workspace with amazing equipment like a waterjet cutter, laser cutters, 3D printers, CNC mill, all free for any student to use.

:)
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles

If you are looking to give help or get help:
Wiki > Forum post > AJAX IRC Chat or Java IRC Chat > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the OBB Archive, and the list of Exalted User medals.

bearasauras
State: CA

Postby bearasauras » May 23rd, 2012, 12:02 pm

Folks, if any of you are coming to, applying to, or are at any college/university in California this coming year, please consider PMing your friendly bearasauras (me) about the following:

• SO volunteering! local tournaments need you for judging any events! We have regional tournaments all across California and we have 2 State tournaments (NorCal and SoCal).

:)
Last edited by bearasauras on September 20th, 2012, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: -

Postby rocketman1555 » June 3rd, 2012, 8:42 am

Folks, if any of you are coming to, applying to, or are at any college/university in Indiana this coming year, please consider PMing your friendly mod and a third year VU student (me) about the following:

• SO volunteering! local tournaments need you for judging events and volunteering! There are regional tournaments across Indiana and a state tournament somewhere. At the very least I can help you get in contact with the people that can help you get involved.

And yes, I am shamelessly copying bear and gh.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

chia

Postby chia » August 18th, 2012, 3:15 pm

To those of you who are going/have gone through the applications process: several of the colleges I will be applying to require one humanities/ss and one math/science recommendation letter, while others require them from "academic subjects". However, it seems unclear on many websites whether or not AP Computer Science would be considered a "science" for them as opposed to the general/pure sciences, or whether it even qualifies as an academic subject - my school has it under the Career and Technical Education department. Of course if I can't find a clear answer I'll email the appropriate people or send in a clarification, but before that I wanted to know whether any of you had this problem, too, and if so what you found to be the answer. I have the feeling it'll vary for different schools... -sigh-
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » August 19th, 2012, 5:39 pm

chia wrote:To those of you who are going/have gone through the applications process: several of the colleges I will be applying to require one humanities/ss and one math/science recommendation letter, while others require them from "academic subjects". However, it seems unclear on many websites whether or not AP Computer Science would be considered a "science" for them as opposed to the general/pure sciences, or whether it even qualifies as an academic subject - my school has it under the Career and Technical Education department. Of course if I can't find a clear answer I'll email the appropriate people or send in a clarification, but before that I wanted to know whether any of you had this problem, too, and if so what you found to be the answer. I have the feeling it'll vary for different schools... -sigh-

AP CompSci is considered at my high school as a math class. Generally, they ask for one rec from a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) teacher (not just math and science) and one from a humanities teacher, and in my humble opinion CompSci falls squarely under STEM. The requirements could vary per college (I've forgotten some bits of the application process), so you may want to verify that, but I'm pretty sure you can get a rec from a CompSci teacher.

chia

Postby chia » August 20th, 2012, 10:10 am

Thanks... frankly I think it would just be silly for colleges not to accept AP Compsci under those categories, but you never know -shrug- I guess I'll be doing that unless I hear word otherwise. I'll just ask the representatives from those schools when they come visit NCHS if it ends up being an issue.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “General Chat”