Significance of nationals results from Div. B?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Significance of nationals results from Div. B?

Post by Unome »

retired1 wrote:Better read the rules.
I think that it has to be a feeder school- ms to hs and the principal has to sign off on it.
The way I've seen it, it depends on the state. Georgia would probably be a lot more lax than, say, Illinois, regarding whether said 9th grader has to have competed on the team (e.g. could a first year team in a 6th-8th school recruit from 9th graders that have attended the school?)
calvin102111 wrote:
Zioly wrote:Can Div. B coaches deny olympians who want to participate in B for 9th grade? My school is going to make the switch from Junior High (7-9) to Middle School (6-8), so is my school going to be eligible for that? I assume so, but I'm not 100% sure.
The coach can determine who is and isn't on their team. However, at my school, our middle school is from 7-8 grade, and we still accept 9th graders from the high school. The rule here (not sure if this is static throughout the country) is a max of 5 ninth graders per division B team.
The rule is almost universally the same, the exceptions possibly being in the one or two states that modify team structure (e.g. North Carolina has 18 people per team, iirc; I don't know whether they've changed the 9th grade rule, though).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Significance of nationals results from Div. B?

Post by John Richardsim »

Unome wrote:
retired1 wrote:Better read the rules.
I think that it has to be a feeder school- ms to hs and the principal has to sign off on it.
The way I've seen it, it depends on the state. Georgia would probably be a lot more lax than, say, Illinois, regarding whether said 9th grader has to have competed on the team (e.g. could a first year team in a 6th-8th school recruit from 9th graders that have attended the school?)
Well, in that example, as long as those 9th graders had been enrolled at the MS the previous year, they would be eligible per national policy. Having actually competed is not required (one of the competing 9th graders in my class hadn't even been an alternate before).

And yeah, for registration I think I principal would have to sign off that the students had been enrolled the previous year.

Return to “General Competition”