Bio-Process Lab B

fafajane
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Post by fafajane »

Wow, you guys, the Region test was soooooo easy. My partner and I finished in 15 minutes and came in first! :D
(After eight thousand unsuccessful trials on a nicked-iron storage batter) Well, at least we know eight thousand things that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

2010: Bringin' Home the Gold! (In science olympiad, and the WORLD CUP! USA ALL THE WAY!)
planemaker
State: CA

Post by planemaker »

well has anybody figured out how to use a dichotomous key
2010 events- Wright Stuff;Rad Scholar; and Bio Process

NORCAL 4 TW
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

What a dichotomous key does is it helps you differentiate and ID different types of, um, things (usually something like trees or animals, but it can really be anything, like this example I found). You start with the first pair of sentences and use what you've observed to decide which category the thing you're observing fits in. Usually, the key will tell you to go to another step (if 1a says "if the animal fits [insert description here], go to step 3", then I would go to step 3 and follow the instructions there). Sometimes it will say, if the animal fits [insert description here], your animal is a [name here]. That means that you've positively ID'd the animal and you'd be done.

Sorry if that was a little confusing. I'm not exactly the best at putting my thoughts into words. Hope I helped, though.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
mf

Post by mf »

My partner and I are working on the sheet we can take to regionals but we are missing a lot of stuff:(
What can we put on it??
Big_Platypus
State: MI

Post by Big_Platypus »

I would say for new people to learn genetics and mitosis. I have seen them on most of my test. Also, what are some of the harder things that people have been seeing on regional test? My regional test is in one and a half fortnights, so I have time to study, but I also have 5 events to work on, so some help would be nice. And for the note sheet, putting some reminders of more complicated things like genetics and also reminders of how to do some things would be a good idea. Hope that helps.
2010 Events:Anatomy, Meteorology, Bio-Process, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design
Controlling bugs and nightbirds with the history of a shrine maiden and magician who killed the lunar rabbit to get to the nurse of the lunar princess to hold her for ransom to the Fujiwara Phoenix
fafajane
State: AL

Post by fafajane »

Big_Platypus wrote:I would say for new people to learn genetics and mitosis. I have seen them on most of my test. Also, what are some of the harder things that people have been seeing on regional test? My regional test is in one and a half fortnights, so I have time to study, but I also have 5 events to work on, so some help would be nice. And for the note sheet, putting some reminders of more complicated things like genetics and also reminders of how to do some things would be a good idea. Hope that helps.
On the test at Auburn, the hardest thing was a pedigree. . . which isn't very hard. It was all seventh-grade science pretty much...
(After eight thousand unsuccessful trials on a nicked-iron storage batter) Well, at least we know eight thousand things that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

2010: Bringin' Home the Gold! (In science olympiad, and the WORLD CUP! USA ALL THE WAY!)
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

What kinds of indicators should we know? Apart from that what would be good on my reference sheet? I currently just have a microscope diagram and a mitosis diagram with a small problem...
In full color since 2006
m_kuttan413
State: DE

Post by m_kuttan413 »

The notes sheet for this event can be typed, correct? Because on the rules it does not specify if it should be hand-written or not.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

Information in any form from any source. Therefore, yes, it can be typed.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
wealthwithpoverty

Post by wealthwithpoverty »

is the use of probes common in bio-process lab competitions?
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." - Saint Augustine
_________
2010 States

2nd: Bio-Process Lab
9th: Solar System

Return to “2010 Lab Events”