Disease Detectives B/C

soobsession
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by soobsession »

Has anyone ever had a test where they ask you to right the steps. Like... What is Step 1 of an outbreak investigation or something? Or has anyone been asked to define specific terms.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

colombiano
State: TX

Post by colombiano »

we were asked to list the steps in order...
Regionals SLHS C Division
1st in Remote Sensing

Texas State Competition Division B WCJH!!
1st in Trajectory 1st in Expirimental Design 3rd in Anatomy
3rd place overall in our second year participating
BeeVolturi
Division: B
State: MD

Post by BeeVolturi »

Does anybody know what I can expect at a state tournament?
Disease Detectives- 2nd in Regionals
Dynamic Planet- 1st in Regionals

Motto- If you are going to fail, fail epically!
Namratha
State: NC

Post by Namratha »

You can probably expect the same things at state as you did at regionals. I mean, the studying rubrib is the same for state and regionals. Just remember, that there probably would be more competition, so I suggest you write your answers in a scholarly manner. I have never been to states yet, but, I am still reliable.
Study Materials:
1. Study the Disease Detectives WiKi throughly, search on the internet or ask your coach for things you do not understand
2. Memorize the 2010 training packet that can be found at the SOINC website
3. Go and study at the http://medmyst.rice.edu/

If you study all these three, you should be in good shape for states. If you are determined to place in the top 3 or something, then I suggest you visit the soinc website and look at the disease focus for this year. It is going to be about population growth. But look at the subtopics and search google for diseases realted to those. Go to the CDC website and you will find the most wanted diseases for CDC. The CDC writes state exams for D.D, so I am thinking they are going to include those diseases. But, search diseases related to population growth as well. Lastly, I suggest you to check out books at the libraries related to epidemiology, epidemics, outbreaks, and stuff. Read those, and also get a book about some major diseases. That will help you too. Oh and P.S, study the Investigating an Outbreak chapter in the Introduction to Epidemiology textbook that can be found at the Soinc website. Hope this helps not only you, n=but everyone. The website is really, really good.
mali_16

Post by mali_16 »

Thanks Namratha :)
What would be useful information to add in your cheat sheet if you are going to the state tournament ?
What did you guys add?
there is a ton of vocab word in the introduction to epidemiology glossary. Should I memorize all of it...or just understanding it is fine? I want to place in states.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Planned 2011 Events: Anatomy, Disease Detectives and Ecology
Namratha

Post by Namratha »

Hey I am from NC too. I will probably see you at the state tournament. How much have you studied? I really want to place 1st. Are you moving up as a team or individula, I did Anatomy too. I got third though. I really didn't study for SO that much. I was busy with the spelling bee and mathcounts that week. What is your name?
sciolympian
State: DE

Post by sciolympian »

mali_16 wrote:Thanks Namratha :)
What would be useful information to add in your cheat sheet if you are going to the state tournament ?
What did you guys add?
there is a ton of vocab word in the introduction to epidemiology glossary. Should I memorize all of it...or just understanding it is fine? I want to place in states.
try to learn the main vocab words, the rest you can remember next time :D To the cheat sheet you should add ratios and other calculations. also include the Bradford-Hill criteria it was useful on the delaware test ;) . my team fared pretty good: 13th place in Delware. We didn't study much , but the cheat sheet helped a lot :D
Namratha

Post by Namratha »

What else should I study for the state tournament. I really want to get 1st place. I will defnitely do what I recommended(Duh), but what else should I study. Any main diseases? What kind of diseases were there on your state tests(for the people who already had them)? I am an FPOW, so technically, if I got first place, in my mind, I qualified for antionals. What other major topics should I study? Does anyone have any past tests?
mali_16

Post by mali_16 »

sciolympian wrote:
mali_16 wrote:Thanks Namratha :)
What did you guys add?
try to learn the main vocab words, the rest you can remember next time :D To the cheat sheet you should add ratios and other calculations. also include the Bradford-Hill criteria it was useful on the delaware test ;) . my team fared pretty good: 13th place in Delware. We didn't study much , but the cheat sheet helped a lot :D
Thanks SciOlympian! that was helpful.
Namratha I sent you a pm. its nice to know someone is out there in NC. I think you will do just fine. You are freaking out too much.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Planned 2011 Events: Anatomy, Disease Detectives and Ecology
sciolympian
State: DE

Post by sciolympian »

Namratha wrote:What else should I study for the state tournament. I really want to get 1st place. I will defnitely do what I recommended(Duh), but what else should I study. Any main diseases? What kind of diseases were there on your state tests(for the people who already had them)? I am an FPOW, so technically, if I got first place, in my mind, I qualified for antionals. What other major topics should I study? Does anyone have any past tests?
in delaware the whole test was based on salmonella :D

Return to “2010 Lab Events”