Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B

Post by blue cobra »

If they give you a circuit diagram with a bunch of different switches (let's say S1, S2, S3, and S4) and light bulbs (let's say L1, L2, and L3), and they say "If switch S1 is closed, what are the conditions of lamps L1, L2, and L3" we should assume that S2, S3, and S4 are open, correct?
In full color since 2006
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

blue cobra wrote:If they give you a circuit diagram with a bunch of different switches (let's say S1, S2, S3, and S4) and light bulbs (let's say L1, L2, and L3), and they say "If switch S1 is closed, what are the conditions of lamps L1, L2, and L3" we should assume that S2, S3, and S4 are open, correct?
I would suggest asking the proctor what they mean by that just so that there is no chance to lose points
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I did at Regionals, but they said they couldn't tell me.
In full color since 2006
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

if they wouldn't tell you than yea assume that everything else is open
it was a group of parallel correct?
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

Ok that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

For Regionals imagine a parallel circuit with 3 branches. One switch was in series, so it controlled the whole thing. Then there was a switch on each branch. As well, the last branch was further broken into two branches in parallel, with one lamp on each. The switch on this branch was positioned such that it controlled both lamps. So for Regionals there were 4 lamps and 4 switches.

Also, has anyone actually seen Kirchoff's Laws and combo circuits on a test? This event just seems way too simple. It's got me paranoid :roll:
In full color since 2006
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

they say "If switch S1 is closed, what are the conditions of lamps L1, L2, and L3" we should assume that S2, S3, and S4 are open, correct?
You should assume each switch is as drawn in the diagram(except for those where they state the condition in the problem). If a switch is drawn closed, you should assume it is closed, If it's drawn open, assume it's open.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Avis_de-Incendia
Division: B

Post by Avis_de-Incendia »

blue cobra wrote:Ok that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

For Regionals imagine a parallel circuit with 3 branches. One switch was in series, so it controlled the whole thing. Then there was a switch on each branch. As well, the last branch was further broken into two branches in parallel, with one lamp on each. The switch on this branch was positioned such that it controlled both lamps. So for Regionals there were 4 lamps and 4 switches.

Also, has anyone actually seen Kirchoff's Laws and combo circuits on a test? This event just seems way too simple. It's got me paranoid :roll:
I've seen "theoretical" combination circuits, where they ask you what the combined resistance would be if you combined a parallel circuit with one resistance and a series circuit with two resistance.

But that was like, the bonus.
Hello! :]
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

I'd imagine combined series/parallel circuits are quite common...but maybe they're grossly simplifying the event...
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

Could someone please explain the wye and delta arrangements? They seem common on old Circuit Lab tests. Even if they are not those specific arrangements, I'm very insure of how to go about solving for things like that. A fine example would be in Section 2 of this test, the answer key for which can be found here. I have no idea how they got those answers. I'm also very unsure about questions about voltages between terminals. Any help in these areas would be appreciated.

And there aren't going to be capacitors in this event, are there?
In full color since 2006
tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

I'm new to Shock Value, and only know VERY VERY basics. But how much about magnetism do we need to know?
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th

Return to “2010 Lab Events”