Physics Lab B/C

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Physics Lab B/C

Post by illusionist »

I am in Division B, what would you guys suggest for a score i should aim for? I am currently getting 900 and 1200 with a 2-bladed design. 2- bladed designs seem to working better for me... I feel that I need to improve my score for my regional competition that is coming up shortly. What score should I aim for?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Greg Doe wrote:Melkor6000,
If you have a good blade design it should out perform a two bladed turbine. Just be sure to take
a conventional (2 bladed) turbine to your competition, in case they rule against you. They can consider your design to "not comply with the intent of the rules". Another way that they might disqualify you is if your straw is much shorter than your single blade, they might not consider that
your turbine meets the diameter rule. If you don't mind, report back to us if you succeded in improving your out put. Good luck.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
I have tried a 1-bladed design, and it's doing worse than my 2-bladed one. It has one light cardboard blade, and a straw filled with play dough on the opposite side. It is at the smallest diameter allowed by the rules. Any suggestions on what I should improve?
Greg Doe
Been thanked: 0

Post by Greg Doe »

Illusionist,
Best suggestion is to go back to your 2 bladed design, and try to improve it. Why pursue something that might be ruled illegal, if you have something that is better, and legal? Good luck.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Greg Doe wrote:Illusionist,
Best suggestion is to go back to your 2 bladed design, and try to improve it. Why pursue something that might be ruled illegal, if you have something that is better, and legal? Good luck.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
ok, thanks
SSANationalTeam1
Division: B
State: PA

Post by SSANationalTeam1 »

nejanimb wrote:
Littleboy wrote:How would you balance a three bladed design? How would you know when it's balanced?
A three blades design should be perfectly balanced on its own, as long as you make it symmetrical...
making it symmetrical is the problem though
WhiteIndian
Division: B
State: PA

Post by WhiteIndian »

For the Physcial Science Lab test, do we need to know the kinetic energy and specific heats of different materials and density of different materials? If anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :D
<3I'm Brown At Heart:)
tmanneo
State: MA

Post by tmanneo »

On our tests it had many of the constants we needed, including specific heats. So you should be fine. Maybe review them just in case.
North Quincy High 2011: 8th overall

Anatomy: 9th
Remote Sensing: 4th
rockhound
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

tmanneo wrote:On our tests it had many of the constants we needed, including specific heats. So you should be fine. Maybe review them just in case.
"Review them"? Why not just put it in your binder, in case they are not supplied?
Melkor6000
State: NY

Post by Melkor6000 »

I had them in my binder, along with heat transfer equations. I never needed them for any tests, but it might be a good thing to have, at least if they ask a qualitative question about specific heats or something of that nature
2007-2008 Regionals: Boomilever (3rd), Environmental Chem (5th)
2008-2009 Regionals: Fossils (4th), Physics Lab (4th), Alternative Energy (2nd)
2009-2010 Regionals: Astronomy (1st), Fossils (3rd), Mission Possible (6th), Physics Lab (1st), Trajectory (2nd)
09-10 Kinda-Captain
Clarence High School
SuzumiyaTsuna
State: CA

Post by SuzumiyaTsuna »

I was surprised that we got 4th place when we didnt know like half the stuff on the written portion. I guess we did good on the lab portion. The written portion had no PHYSICS at all, so i was bummed(i like math related sciences ie:physics and chemistry). All my notes were rendered useless and I had to rely on my AP Environ. Sci. knowledge about renewable energy because our regional test was on that mostly(by mostly I mean like 90%) and the rest i think was thermal stuff and one wind power question which was math related so i was kinda pleased. Well, in the end I was really surprised when they called our school in the awards ceremony. oh ya by the way, i dont remember what our voltage was, if you wanted to ask... sorry.
Last edited by SuzumiyaTsuna on March 25th, 2010, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll miss Science Olympiad... :(
2010 events:
State(i cant believe we made it to State!):
Chem Lab(6th), Picture This(7th)
Elevated Bridge, Physics Lab, Its about time(...)
Regionals:
Picture This(3rd), Physics Lab(4th), Chem Lab(10th)
Elevated Bridge, Its about time(...)

Return to “2010 Lab Events”