Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Physics Lab B/C

Post by Flavorflav » January 23rd, 2010, 4:59 pm

georgexu316 wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:
skater101 wrote:when they say it hast to be 3 hole punched if i was to have note-cards punched in the binder would they take them out becouse it will not have 3 holes?
Unless you already have the cards, I wouldn't risk it. The supervisor might not care, but since it is technically illegal you are out of luck if they do.
What about books? I'm thinking of bringing an Environmental science book that has been 3-hole drilled.
To me, that seems legal. The rules don't say anything about what the materials can be, only that they must be "3-hole punched."
Back to the cards, I suppose you could get one of those little hand punches and put three holes in an index card, and that would have to be considered legal. A judge would be entitled to pick up your binder and shake it, though, and take away anything that falls out.

georgexu316
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by georgexu316 » January 23rd, 2010, 5:11 pm

Here is my second wind turbine. It has similar share to the first, but I used foam instead of cardboard.
Turns out, it was a COMPLETE failure. It did spin though, but the voltage produced did not even come close to my first turbine. (click the link above).
The main reason that i did so horribly was the it was impossible to balance. As you can see in the video, it wobbles and oscillates a lot when it starts spinning. I had to use tape to attach it to the CD because adhesive glue "melts" the foam. The foam wasn't very hard; it tends to bend backwards when it starts to spin. To view my first turbine, please visit here
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryPrpi6Hgc4

Physics lab wind turbine videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/georgexu316

Avis_de-Incendia
Division: B

Post by Avis_de-Incendia » January 24th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Our proctor told us that he was "being lenient" and letting us use our notes because they "weren't in a binder."

Isn't that stupid? >=[
Hello! :]

evbassboy13
State: MN

Post by evbassboy13 » January 24th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Avis_de-Incendia wrote:Our proctor told us that he was "being lenient" and letting us use our notes because they "weren't in a binder."

Isn't that stupid? >=[
Sorry, but if your notes weren't in a binder, he shouldn't have let you use them.

georgexu316

Post by georgexu316 » January 24th, 2010, 5:10 pm

evbassboy13 wrote:
Avis_de-Incendia wrote:Our proctor told us that he was "being lenient" and letting us use our notes because they "weren't in a binder."

Isn't that stupid? >=[
Sorry, but if your notes weren't in a binder, he shouldn't have let you use them.
Well, you were probably at invitationals, and they're not that strict (or careful!).
During my invitational competition, they restricted the distance between the fan and the turbine to more then 100cm. The rule manual clearly states that
The blade assembly may be oriented and placed in any position or angle in front of the fan.
I hope at Regionals, they better not make that mistake again. My blade works extremely well at close distance, but not so much at longer distance.
Physics lab wind turbine videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/georgexu316

jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 » January 24th, 2010, 7:46 pm

georgexu316 wrote:
During my invitational competition, they restricted the distance between the fan and the turbine to more then 100cm. The rule manual clearly states that
The blade assembly may be oriented and placed in any position or angle in front of the fan.
I hope at Regionals, they better not make that mistake again. My blade works extremely well at close distance, but not so much at longer distance.
You're right, George. The blade assembly can be oriented and placed in any position/angle. HOWEVER, the distance your fan is from the box fan is not clearly defined. I asked this question at a clinic in November and was told the distance is left to the proctor to decide. Whatever he/she decides will remain constant for all teams, but will change from competition to competition (given there are different proctors).
Call me coach.

Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav » January 25th, 2010, 2:46 am

jazzy009 wrote:
georgexu316 wrote:
You're right, George. The blade assembly can be oriented and placed in any position/angle. HOWEVER, the distance your fan is from the box fan is not clearly defined. I asked this question at a clinic in November and was told the distance is left to the proctor to decide. Whatever he/she decides will remain constant for all teams, but will change from competition to competition (given there are different proctors).
That's not in the rules. I attended a presentation on this at which we were told that the competitors could place the blade assembly anywhere they wanted too, as long as they kept a minimum of 5 cm. distance from the fan. Apparently that 5 cm minimum was in the draft rules, but it is not in the printed rules. The printed rules state what George has said, which seems to me to clearly allow the competitor to place the assembly anywhere they wish. Any sup who chooses a distance has not read this year's rules, IMO.

Bassir

Post by Bassir » January 26th, 2010, 6:31 pm

What is the written portion of this event usually on?

manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 » January 27th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Bassir wrote:What is the written portion of this event usually on?
Look to the rules for clarification. However, from the competition I attended in January (Athens Invitational), the written portion of the test consisted mainly of thermal and some electrical physics, with a few temperature conversions and resource-based questions.
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.

wallflower
Division: B

Post by wallflower » January 29th, 2010, 9:35 pm

A quick question on the written test...

I had my practice just a few days and ago, my coach stated that we can bring only one cheatsheet (it can be double-sided, i think, i don't know?)...

Last year I heard that a whole binder of cheatsheets are allowed.

What are the rules? (I can't get a copy of the official event description, unfortunately :(

~wallflower

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Return to “2010 Lab Events”