Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by haven chuck »

The Science Crime Busters Wiki has fairly reliable information, though it is a wiki, so it cannot be trusted 100%. however, since it's made by science olympians, the wiki is usually one of the best sources, and almost always reliable.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
icyfire

Post by icyfire »

The 2010 rules for Science Crime Busters don't say anything about this, and though my "gut feeling" tells me otherwise, I still have to ask: Are we allowed to test the liquids with any reagents event supervisors provide such as dH2O, HCl, and Iodine? So far I have only wafted the liquids and not mixed them with anything...though i do realize that i can't just mix the liquids in their given containers....so could we pour a little bit of the substance into a reaction plate then mix them?
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

icyfire wrote:The 2010 rules for Science Crime Busters don't say anything about this, and though my "gut feeling" tells me otherwise, I still have to ask: Are we allowed to test the liquids with any reagents event supervisors provide such as dH2O, HCl, and Iodine? So far I have only wafted the liquids and not mixed them with anything...though i do realize that i can't just mix the liquids in their given containers....so could we pour a little bit of the substance into a reaction plate then mix them?
Yes, you can use the given reagents to test the liquids. In some cases, you will even be given a dropper to help you get them into the wells of the reaction plate (or they'll just be given to you in a large pipette to begin with).
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
catman51325
State: IN

Post by catman51325 »

You have to be able to test with the regents. How else would you be able to tell H2O and H2O2 apart.
icyfire

Post by icyfire »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
icyfire wrote:The 2010 rules for Science Crime Busters don't say anything about this, and though my "gut feeling" tells me otherwise, I still have to ask: Are we allowed to test the liquids with any reagents event supervisors provide such as dH2O, HCl, and Iodine? So far I have only wafted the liquids and not mixed them with anything...though i do realize that i can't just mix the liquids in their given containers....so could we pour a little bit of the substance into a reaction plate then mix them?
Yes, you can use the given reagents to test the liquids. In some cases, you will even be given a dropper to help you get them into the wells of the reaction plate (or they'll just be given to you in a large pipette to begin with).
Thanks!
disease-detective
Division: B

Post by disease-detective »

Does anybody have a chart that has mixture results? Me an my partner did it, but it didn't save. Thanks :)
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

haven chuck wrote:The Science Crime Busters Wiki has fairly reliable information, though it is a wiki, so it cannot be trusted 100%. however, since it's made by science olympians, the wiki is usually one of the best sources, and almost always reliable.
lakeSUPERIOR

Post by lakeSUPERIOR »

catman51325 wrote:You have to be able to test with the regents. How else would you be able to tell H2O and H2O2 apart.
If you shake them, the H2O2 will make bubbles, water doesnt
suppiechan369
State: WI

Post by suppiechan369 »

what is a good strategy for identifying mixed powders? does anyone know what kind of mixtures are most common for SCB? thanks!!
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

I've found that they usually like to give two very different powders, namely one that bubbles in HCl with one that doesn't. Try identifying those mixtures, along with ones like Flour and Baking soda (since it looks like cornstarch, and iodine will still turn black because of the Flour).

Return to “2010 Lab Events”