Science Crime Busters B

icyfire
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by icyfire »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
icyfire wrote:Okay, so the iodine will not immediately react with the H2O2 but will bubble after around 30 seconds?
Thirty seconds, maybe longer. It depends on how old the hydrogen peroxide is. There have been times in competition when we've waited and waited, finally deciding all the samples must be water- and then like five minutes later, one of them starts bubbling. It's a delayed reaction, and the length of the delay can vary quite a lot.
How much does it bubble? would it be enough bubbling to notice if we weren't paying too much attention to it? or is it tiny bubbles that you have to really look at to notice?
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by robotman »

icyfire wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:
icyfire wrote:Okay, so the iodine will not immediately react with the H2O2 but will bubble after around 30 seconds?
Thirty seconds, maybe longer. It depends on how old the hydrogen peroxide is. There have been times in competition when we've waited and waited, finally deciding all the samples must be water- and then like five minutes later, one of them starts bubbling. It's a delayed reaction, and the length of the delay can vary quite a lot.
How much does it bubble? would it be enough bubbling to notice if we weren't paying too much attention to it? or is it tiny bubbles that you have to really look at to notice?
it pretty much coats the container in bubbles from what I have tested
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

icyfire wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:
That varies too, but it's usually pretty noticeable. Certainly it was noticeable the few times we had super-delayed reactions like that; I saw it out of the corner of my eye when I wasn't even looking for it.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
melody2k6
Division: B

Post by melody2k6 »

How can you tell what the mixed powders are?
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by haven chuck »

Any thoughts on the Nationals test this year? I thought, above all, it was extremely well-run, and the giant stopwatch was a great idea.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

haven chuck wrote:Any thoughts on the Nationals test this year? I thought, above all, it was extremely well-run, and the giant stopwatch was a great idea.
Was it run by the same guy as last year (tie-dye lab coat)? He was great, and I remember he used the giant stopwatch thing.
--
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

Yeah, it was that guy, and it was the best SCB event I've ever been to (and I've done it at States and Regionals the last 4 years).
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

haven chuck wrote:Yeah, it was that guy, and it was the best SCB event I've ever been to (and I've done it at States and Regionals the last 4 years).
Yeah, he was the NY State SCB supervisor last year (I'm guessing he was this year, too), and I was very happy to find he was the National supervisor too. He's the best SCB event writer anywhere. The fact that he's the National supervisor means that SCB is one of the few events that are guaranteed to be well written.
--
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

The only thing that shocked me was that there were no metals at all. Also, if anyone is curious, the water testing portion worked like this-
There was a sample of water and four data probes that hooked up to a TI-84 (not sure of the model) calculator. You just plugged the probe into the calculator, then placed it into the sample and it gave a reading. You needed to do 5 tests for full credit (and write down relevant conclusions about the liquid from each test).
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

[quote="haven chuck"]The only thing that shocked me was that there were no metals at all. quote]
There were metals last year, I think, but he took out the polymers at the last minute (as in, they were in the materials given, and there was space on the answer sheet, but he told everyone not to use them).
--

Return to “2010 Lab Events”