Science Crime Busters B

lol161458
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by lol161458 »

hey guys! i am on the science olympaid team at roberson middle school :D :D :D . i am so excited to be going to state
compition . this is the first year that my school has been open and this also the first year we have had science olympaid and were going to state wop-wop :D :D :D :) .we got 4th place at regional compietion :D :D :D
Draylon Fogg
Division: C
State: KS

Post by Draylon Fogg »

Was that post really needed on this forum??? You could have done that on your states' forum... Also it is not a very good idea to post your school name on a public forum for obvious safty reasons...
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality
T-B
State: NC

Post by T-B »

New postby lol161458 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 pm
hey guys! i am on the science olympaid team at roberson middle school :D :D :D . i am so excited to be going to state
compition . this is the first year that my school has been open and this also the first year we have had science olympaid and were going to state wop-wop :D :D :D :) .we got 4th place at regional compietion :D :D :D
That's cool that your team did so well in their first year. You must have some good teammates. Good luck at State -- it is tougher both in the tests and the level of competition. Study, but stay cool and you'll do well.

P.S. I think your post was totally appropriate for this venue, and not a security risk at all....
lkanakamedala0
State: PA

Post by lkanakamedala0 »

When dealing with certain powders, I seemed to have trouble determining whether the Plaster of Paris bubbles. Specific resources tell me otherwise; it could be our version, however I am uncertain. Does the Plaster of Paris bubble/sizzle?
T-B
State: NC

Post by T-B »

When dealing with certain powders, I seemed to have trouble determining whether the Plaster of Paris bubbles. Specific resources tell me otherwise; it could be our version, however I am uncertain. Does the Plaster of Paris bubble/sizzle?
The powder to use is Gypsum, not Plaster of Paris. Yes, chemically the same, but one has been cooked and the other not. That my account for why your results are not the same as you've seen posted.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

T-B wrote:
The powder to use is Gypsum, not Plaster of Paris. Yes, chemically the same, but one has been cooked and the other not. That my account for why your results are not the same as you've seen posted.
In competition, it's not uncommon to see Plaster of Paris in its commercial form. You should be familiar with how that behaves, too, because event supervisors may give you Plaster of Paris instead of "uncooked" gypsum powder.

Another thing my partner and I noticed in this event last year is that there are certain peripheral properties not of the powders themselves, but of their most easily accessible forms, that can- in a pinch- be used to identify them. For example, vitamin C powder samples were often crushed vitamin C tablets, which might have a slight pink, orange, yellow, or green tint and a citrus scent, simply because that's how the tablets were marketed. The supervisors figured it was close enough to white that it didn't matter. Similarly, Plaster of Paris samples sometimes contained traces of the fibers that it normally has in it for structural purposes. These things aren't really the most important things to know- not least because they're not always present- but it can be a good idea to be aware that if you see fibers, it's probably Plaster of Paris, and if you see a pink/orange/yellow/green tint or smell something citrusy, it's probably vitamin C. There are probably other examples, too, but those are the ones I can think of at the moment.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
Draylon Fogg

Post by Draylon Fogg »

T-B wrote:
That's cool that your team did so well in their first year. You must have some good teammates. Good luck at State -- it is tougher both in the tests and the level of competition. Study, but stay cool and you'll do well.

P.S. I think your post was totally appropriate for this venue, and not a security risk at all....
Ok how was that post relate with anything on this forum? hmm? show me that and I'll leave it alone. And how is a post stating what school you go to not a security risk?? This is a public forum, any old stalker could get on here an search your school name and find you.
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality
Aeri21
State: IL

Post by Aeri21 »

Draylon Fogg wrote:
T-B wrote:

Ok how was that post relate with anything on this forum? hmm? show me that and I'll leave it alone. And how is a post stating what school you go to not a security risk?? This is a public forum, any old stalker could get on here an search your school name and find you.
While I personally agree that it is a security risk, I believe that this argument has nothing to do with the forum either. In that spirit, I'll stop talking...
Last Year's Events:
Envi. Chem., Anatomy, Road Scholars, Experimental Design
This Year's Events:
SCB, Anatomy, Bio-Process, Ecology, Junkyard Challenge
Draylon Fogg

Post by Draylon Fogg »

Yes let's.....so I still don't fully understand, is the red cabbage just another reagent or is it more, some previous posts seemed to contradict each other...
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by haven chuck »

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between Tin and Aluminum?
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION

Return to “2010 Lab Events”