Can't Judge a Powder B

frogzorz
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can't Judge a Powder B

Post by frogzorz »

I really wish I was there. I only competed in Crimebusters.
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
melody2k6
Division: B

Post by melody2k6 »

I think you may not understand what a precipitate is. If a powder is added to a liquid and it doesn't completely dissolve, then the powder is partially soluble, or insoluble if it doesn't dissolve at all. However, that has nothing to do with precipitates. If two liquids are mixed (i.e. the aqueous solution of the powder and one of the chemicals) and a solid forms (it should be fairly obvious that it is not a normal solution), then that is a precipitate. A powder added to a liquid could never form a precipitate, by definition. Also, if a liquid remains above the precipitate, that is called a supernate (just more information that might be helpful). As far as the chemistry behind it, this might help- http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_precipitates_form
Thanks. That helped a lot.
melody2k6
Division: B

Post by melody2k6 »

What are ideal observations to make relating the Benedict's solution and hot plates? My partner and I didn't get to that part for Nationals (we weren't called back after it was ready) and we want to know what was actually going on to prepare for next year. Thanks.

Return to “2010 Lab Events”