binary010101
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Environmental Chem C

Post by binary010101 » February 19th, 2010, 4:47 pm

packer-backer91 wrote:
ldesiresl wrote:On the rulebook in section f it asks for the best course of remediation.

Does that mean that we have to examine a soil sample ourselves and determine the best course of remediation for that type of soil?
To me this is the point of this event, to be given information about some place with a problem and have to come up with a way to fix the problem and find what the problem was. It is not important to understand exactly how each test is done as long as you know how to interpret the results. This is a hard event to practice for because there are so many ways to test the soil each place may have its own way of how they want competitors to do the event. It says in the beginning of the event that judges must supply information on how they want the test conducted.
Not necessarily: the PA states test last year had a LOT of theoretical chemistry.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

packer-backer91
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 » February 25th, 2010, 6:33 pm

What kinds of formulas have people put on their sheets? I use OneNote to make my note sheet on my laptop and have much more room than I thought I would have now I am putting on general chem. things that may be helpful. Still this event is so big that I don't know what other things but the basic plant needs/functions of each element contributes to plant growth. But from experience this event has pretty much is just like my AP Environmental Science at Michigan's State where they asked thing like acid rain, combustion equations, to even putting on thing like diagramming some small compounds. What major things besides nutrients, and soil characteristics have people put in your notes?
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss

franklinknights
Division: C
State: IL

Post by franklinknights » February 27th, 2010, 4:56 am

im net to the event, got assigned to it yesterday...comeptio0n is today ...done it before once last year placed 6th...seems the npk tesdt is easitest but the rest is sumthing that u have to know sumhow which can be very vague. just try ur best and wish me luck
Go Central Maroons :)
2011 Season
Helicopter
Dynamic Planet
Mousetrap
Robot Arm

Glacierguy1
State: NY

Post by Glacierguy1 » March 2nd, 2010, 5:45 pm

If you had three weeks to prepare for this event for states and 5 other events to prepare for, what would you do?
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

binary010101

Post by binary010101 » March 2nd, 2010, 6:46 pm

Read the rules and ask your partner to study for this. :D

Just cover the basics of each topic.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Steveman518

Post by Steveman518 » March 23rd, 2010, 5:01 pm

peoneill wrote:Have you seen the practice exam I've posted in the text exchange? I'm going to have a 2nd posted soon. I'm helping coordinate Environmental Chemistry at the Indiana State tournament and my answer key has some clues how to do some of the problems I asked about it.

There's a TON of information out there on MS and GC, much of which is very readable for high school students (but most of which ISN'T, you'll have to do some research to find good materials, but a lack of materials should NOT be the problem). If your event coordinators have been educators so far they're often frightened off from doing these topics, which are quite advanced and they're not likely to have been trained on. But if you get a professional soil chemist... these techniques are the bread and butter of their daily work in modern times and I guarantee that when a chemistry professional runs this event they'll be asking you questions on MS and GC. I'd anticipate more MS and GC questions at university-hosted tournaments than at high school-hosted tournaments.
While that is true, you also have to keep in mind who's writing the tests. Sometimes at university-hosted tournaments there are college students who write tests and some of them like to take out their years of frustration upon you guys while some don't put too much effort into it :P

peoneill
State: IN

Post by peoneill » March 23rd, 2010, 8:36 pm

I agree Steveman, sometimes there are bad coordinators and that sucks. Most SO competitors LIKE hard exams because they know their raw score doesn't matter. But even with a bad coordinator it's better to be prepared than unprepared!

bleechan0
State: IN

Post by bleechan0 » March 25th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Does anyone know who is coordinating Environmental Chemistry at Nationals this year? Is it the same person from last year?

Steveman518

Post by Steveman518 » March 26th, 2010, 1:58 pm

I wish I was :D

ironchef48
State: IL

Post by ironchef48 » March 28th, 2010, 5:05 am

can anyone tell me if typed notesheets are allowed, I know in past years they had to be hand written and that both partners could have a sheet. Has this changed?

I am S.O> excited for state!!!!! only 2 more weeks!
4th in state- Disease Detectives- not bad considering we never placed before!

2010 events: Ecology, Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission, Helicopter

Throw one away- you will anyway

Return to “2010 Lab Events”