Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Experimental Design B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Experimental Design B/C.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by ZekeBud »

Before this gets kicking again, remember to read the rules, look at a rubric and practice, practice, practice.

Odds are, the rules won't change too much, so a similar rubric to this one for Division C would probably be rather important to you: http://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/p ... _c_div.pdf

Important notes:
You must include everything. If you leave it out, you're not going to get credit and you won't get those shiny medals.

Be specific and clear. If you don't label things carefully and you don't adequately explain your statements, it's just as bad as not including anything.

Work as a team. This is a timed event, so you need to work in unison to make sure everything gets done.

Go and check the Wiki and the Archives for more info and examples. Those should keep you going for quite some time and bring you a great deal of experience.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases
srsvball95
State: TX

Post by srsvball95 »

Here's the link to the wiki. Its the same for Division B and C: http://scioly.org/wiki/Experimental_Design
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
Iustitia
Division: B
State: TX

Post by Iustitia »

What kind of people do you want for this event? There's like 6 applicants in our school :cry:
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by eyeball138 »

People who are perfectionists and pay attention to lots of detail are usually good for this event.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by haven chuck »

But speed is also important since there is a TON to cover in 50 minutes
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by eyeball138 »

True. You need perfectionists who can work quickly.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by eyeball138 »

Just saw the rules, I didn't see any changes.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Iustitia wrote:What kind of people do you want for this event? There's like 6 applicants in our school :cry:
There are different sections of the event, which each require different skills.

For the problem statement/hypothesis/materials/procedure part, which is very systematic, yes, you'd want a perfectionist, or at least someone good with detail. One of my partners last year wrote good 25-30 step procedures, including every. single. detail. to the point that someone completely clueless could have followed them easily (yeah, probably overkill, but pretty impressive, and impressive is often worth it in an event where the judging can be so subjective). You need to go in with a general structure in your mind and just fill in the relevant details and actual event-related information.

For the collection of data, making of graphs, and recording of observations, a perfectionist can also be useful, but mainly you just need someone who's not too much of a spaz (when you're throwing that paper airplane, you don't want it to hit the team three tables over; when you're measuring something, you want the end of that ruler to stay at the end of the object). Some knowledge of statistics and graphing is very useful, if not downright necessary. Also, you don't need to be a perfectionist about things like the lines of your data tables being perfectly parallel (*cough* pjgsciorox *cough*); as long as it's legible and doesn't give a serious impression of messiness, you're all good.

For the analysis/conclusion/future experimentation/possible errors, you need someone who can write a lot of intelligent-sounding bull as quickly as possible. If you're running out of time, you may need someone to start writing these sections before the relevant data is actually collected, in which case whoever does it needs to have some idea of the conclusion you expect. Some knowledge of statistics is also helpful here, mainly for the analysis part. The bigger your scientific vocabulary, the better.

Keep in mind that these don't have to be three separate people; those are just the skills needed for each part.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by nejanimb »

Phenylethylamine, is that how you break the sections down? I'm curious, since that's not how we usually do it, and I'm always curious to hear other strategies.

The first section we do exactly the same, where one person does everything from the beginning of the lab up through the procedure. After that though, we have one person who does Data Tables, Stats, Graphs, and Analysis. We've always found that this is a full time job, and that just doing this takes the full time. Usually, this person will be the one who helps the experimenter if there is something that requires an extra hand. The last person does the experimentation, the Errors, the Conclusion, and PracticalApplications/Further Study. Observations are done by whoever feels like they have the time. I've always felt like the analysis section was linked closer to the graphs and stat section than the conclusion part, so we have a math-heavy analysis that the Stat person.

As far as the type of people who should do this event, they key is to have people who simultaneously are meticulous but are cool under pressure. Of course, this seems a bit paradoxical, and really there aren't many people who fit this bill. You also need people who are simultaneously good at following instructions and a plan, but who also are good at thinking on their feet to solve problems - again, these traits are not always found in the same person, so it definitely takes a particular kind of person to do experimental.

As far as breakdown of trying to build a team, besides fitting the general characteristics I just described, you'll want someone who can be very methodical and break down exactly what needs to happen (the intro person), someone who's good with numbers (for the stat section in the middle of the lab), and a calm and collected person who has a good science intuition to do the conclusion and experimentation.

Even though I make it sound very specific, I think just about anyone who takes the time to learn ED can do a pretty good job. Good luck!
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)

Return to “2010 Lab Events”